Over 80 percent admit they used to be rejected by a cabbie

webfact

Obviously the other 20% has never tried to flag a cab at midnight at Patpong. The cabs at 17:00 hrs on Ekamai will run you over in their haste to get their gigs to Nana or Soi Cowboy. Most cabbies in Bangkok should be behind bars.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Over 80 percent of the respondents to Nida Poll admitted they had been rejected at least once by taxi drivers

"Admitted??"

Were the confessions obtained using torture or offers of immunity from prosecution?

Did they feel ashamed and only admitted this on promise of anonymity?

taxi  thailand indy haha.

<<<<Thai language removed>>>>

Edited by metisdead
English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

4 hours ago, exalll said:

Whenever this issue comes up, there is always someone who says "never in 9 years ...".  Or "once in 9 years".  There really must be parallel universes in some of which Bangkok is a wonderful place with polite well-trained taxi drivers who will always take you where you want to go and are never rude or try to cheat you.

My misfortune is that I am stuck in this universe, where Bangkok taxi drivers are not like that.  I have been rejected many, many times.  For the record, since the apologists will be quick to jump on this ...

• Yes, I speak Thai
  • No, I am not suggesting that all taxi drivers are the same.  I actually think that the majority of taxi drivers are quite good, but there is an unacceptably high proportion who are not
  • No, it is not always around 4PM when I get rejected
  • No, I am not asking to go on an unreasonably long trip
  • No, I am not asking to go on an unreasonably short trip
  • No, it is not only on soi 11 or from Pratunam, or [fill in other supposedly "difficult" locations]

Yes, you sound extremely mean, bossy and crabby. I'm always very polite and rarely if ever have trouble with BKK taxi drivers in the last 7 years. Join my world and chill out!!

2 hours ago, pieeyed said:

Obviously the other 20% has never tried to flag a cab at midnight at Patpong. The cabs at 17:00 hrs on Ekamai will run you over in their haste to get their gigs to Nana or Soi Cowboy. Most cabbies in Bangkok should be behind bars.

I've posted this several times before. Around Patpong you never go to one of the waiting taxis. You can walk to the left towards Rama 4 and easily FLAG down a taxi or walk across Silom and get a taxi on the other side that you can easily FLAG down especially near Soi Sala Daeng. Even if the other side is out of your way the taxi will just go down soi Sala Daeng  to Satorn and turn left and turn left again at Rama 4 so MAYBE that adds 6 baht to the fare. These taxis are also not paying anyone to sit and wait in the prime areas. On Sukumvit 11 walk AWAY from Sukumvit towards the end where SUK 11 stops and turns toward SUK 13 and flag down a cab easily. Maybe a 2-3 minute walk at most. They will use the meter even at 2 am. 

9 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Yes, you sound extremely mean, bossy and crabby. I'm always very polite and rarely if ever have trouble with BKK taxi drivers in the last 7 years. Join my world and chill out!!

Well, your reply clearly demonstrates that you are not always very polite.

I rarely have trouble with BKK taxi drivers, but I have been rejected many times and that is many times too often.  Compare with Hanoi, where I have never been rejected in well over 9 years ... or Singapore, or ... well, the list could go on for a very long time.

3 minutes ago, exalll said:

Well, your reply clearly demonstrates that you are not always very polite.

I rarely have trouble with BKK taxi drivers, but I have been rejected many times and that is many times too often.  Compare with Hanoi, where I have never been rejected in well over 9 years ... or Singapore, or ... well, the list could go on for a very long time.

You are completely misinterpreting my post. I am always polite with Taxi drivers. Don't post something that I did not say/ write.  

When the window slides down, the geezer leans across the seat, gazes down the road, you know he's not going to give you a lift.  "Mai Pai."  I used to get angry but now I just turn away and look for the next taxi.  I don't respond anymore.  It's Thailand and you just deal with it.  (I'm going to the Suvarnabhumi on Friday afternoon.  This should be fun.)

last 5 rides out of Silom/ Surawong (all of them requested by a Thai- person/ all of them to Wongwian Yai or Khrung Thonburi - which is basically just straight on!): not once we requested less than 3 taxis, before one was willing to take us!

And: of these 5, 4 didn't know, where they had to go and we had to explain to them and show them the way!

...it's not all of them, but it's a LOT of them!

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

You are completely misinterpreting my post. I am always polite with Taxi drivers. Don't post something that I did not say/ write.  

You are quite content to opine that I am mean, bossy and crabby from what I wrote, but take offence if I conclude that you are not always very polite from what you wrote.  Interesting.

But good to know that there is one group of people with whom you are polite.

My rejection rate is on average at 50%.

From hotel sukumvit 11 to don muang airport it can happen that one must ask 10-20 taxis if one wants to drive with meter.

For 500 - 700 baht without meter many would drive. taxi prices as on a bazaar here.

I am so indignant with the cab drivers attitude that when  I flag a taxi as sooner as  I see them rolling down the window, I just walk away from my spot; that is an indication of the unwillingness to go, but where they want to go.

15 minutes ago, lagarto said:

I am so indignant with the cab drivers attitude that when  I flag a taxi as sooner as  I see them rolling down the window, I just walk away from my spot; that is an indication of the unwillingness to go, but where they want to go.

Do the same.

Had one or two get very stroppy at my doing so as well.

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Here is my experience in the past week of 6 cab rides;

1. Attempted rip offs at Thonburi train station so walked 1 block away. Rejected  2X  for destination of Silom,  was accepted by tuk truk when asked for nearest  MRT.

2. Rejected 1X for local cab ride in Silom before getting a meter ride.

3. 2 local rides in Silom, no issues.

4. Rejected 2 X  near The Mall Bangkapi before  getting cab to take to MRT (145 baht ride)

5. Silom hotel to BKK rail station  cab wanted 150 baht from hotel  in Silom. Was able to get a meter ride 60 baht.

All rides requested by Thai person, and Thai language spoken.

Conclusion: As bad as ever.  Making matters worse, when I arrived in Hua Hin train station thugs demanded 300 baht to  go to destination that is normally 150 baht. Had to walk 15 minutes and  hail a tuk tuk.   The situation   just gets worse from my perspective.

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

last 5 rides out of Silom/ Surawong (all of them requested by a Thai- person/ all of them to Wongwian Yai or Khrung Thonburi - which is basically just straight on!): not once we requested less than 3 taxis, before one was willing to take us!

And: of these 5, 4 didn't know, where they had to go and we had to explain to them and show them the way!

...it's not all of them, but it's a LOT of them!

For the record, we were not together when our similar experiences occurred.

Too funny.

Yeah, I also think waiters should be able to refuse taking your order or bring you what they want at a price they desire!
Are you #%€?=¥|} kidding me?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No need to get vulgar. And you wonder why you can't get a ride, try smiling a little.

I don't think wait-staff should have to serve people they don't want to serve either.

No point in getting all red-faced, if they don't turn on the meter, I get out. Not rocket science, really.

Its hard to fault a driver that knows it will take an hour to get somewhere that is very close and the meter won't be moving. Some times the rules work against the customer too. I usually pay them extra if they have to deal with unusual delays or traffic jams, but many don't and thats why they won't take you if they think its to busy there.

Its hard to fault a driver that knows it will take an hour to get somewhere that is very close and the meter won't be moving. Some times the rules work against the customer too. I usually pay them extra if they have to deal with unusual delays or traffic jams, but many don't and thats why they won't take you if they think its to busy there.

The meter charges for wait-time.

Actually, I think many of them don't really know the city well, and only work a small area or circuit.

If you think about it, their best fare is a couple blocks on a busy street, dropping off where they can pick up a new fare, not going somewhere that forces them to dead-head back.

I see it as a pretty tough, thankless (for the most part) job, for not much money. Sure, I've had a few a-holes but I generally get a good, cheap ride.

While minimum wage almost doubled over the few years, how much did the fares go up?

And 98% of cabbies reported being rejected by female passengers when asking for a ride. The other 2% decided to take a ride anyway.

That doesn't make sense. If 98% were rejected, the other 2% were not rejected, right? Or did you mean that 100% of taxi drivers hit on women fares, and that 98% accept the rebuff but the other 2% rape their fares?

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

The meter charges for wait-time.

Actually, I think many of them don't really know the city well, and only work a small area or circuit.

If you think about it, their best fare is a couple blocks on a busy street, dropping off where they can pick up a new fare, not going somewhere that forces them to dead-head back.

I see it as a pretty tough, thankless (for the most part) job, for not much money. Sure, I've had a few a-holes but I generally get a good, cheap ride.

While minimum wage almost doubled over the few years, how much did the fares go up?

I'm inclined to agree. I don't get too bothered these days when I get rejected by a string of taxis in an obvious tourist location where my destination is a potential hassle to them. 

One of the problems with a survey like this is it's far too vague, and tries to present the problem as Bangkok-wide when it absolutely isn't. Taxi problems are all about particular areas and times of day, any general study that attempts to draw conclusions without recognising this is going to be highly misleading. Even comments earlier in the thread make it clear that all that's required to succeed in getting a meter taxi when in a problem area is to cross the road or walk up a couple of blocks. This kind of local knowledge turns a negative into a positive very quickly. 

If they think they're being rejected a lot now, wait until all the taxis sign up for Uber or Grab or others.  

When I visit China, I often get passed by 10- or more taxis before one stops, because most of them are going to pick up someone who has used an app to summon them.  And many don't even cruise around looking for passengers any more when they can sit still and wait for the app to beep.

May be a good thing, but it's definitely a sea change- and sucks for people with cash who don't have a Chinese bank account and an AliPay (or other e-money) account, which is how those taxis get paid.  (One more way for the banksters to siphon their cut from everything we do)

Edited by impulse

16 hours ago, mogandave said:

No need to get vulgar. And you wonder why you can't get a ride, try smiling a little.

I don't think wait-staff should have to serve people they don't want to serve either.

No point in getting all red-faced, if they don't turn on the meter, I get out. Not rocket science, really.

I think, you might not understand, what it means to have a "job"...

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

I have a job, you?

Should I have to do everything every customer want? I don't think so.

If you are a taxi- driver, you drive people from A to B for money!

That is your job!

If I demand to be driven from Bangkok to Islamabad, you may OF COURSE refuse my request!

But if I want to go from Silom to Wongwien Yai, you "vacant"- sign is flashing and you are already going in that direction...my question would be, why you wanted to be a taxi- driver (a member of the SERVICE- industry) in the first place and not just join a carpool!

"Hey guys...on Friday evening, I am driving from Sukhumvit to Silom! Anybody wanna join and share the fuel costs?"

The same goes for a waiter (also a member of the service industry!).

As long as I am in the restaurant, behaving normally, ordering of the menu...you BRING ME WHAT I WANT!

That is your job!

I am not a personal guest in your personal house, so you SERVICE me and you are not doing me a favor!

If you are a taxi- driver, you drive people from A to B for money!
That is your job!
If I demand to be driven from Bangkok to Islamabad, you may OF COURSE refuse my request!
But if I want to go from Silom to Wongwien Yai, you "vacant"- sign is flashing and you are already going in that direction...my question would be, why you wanted to be a taxi- driver (a member of the SERVICE- industry) in the first place and not just join a carpool!
"Hey guys...on Friday evening, I am driving from Sukhumvit to Silom! Anybody wanna join and share the fuel costs?"
The same goes for a waiter (also a member of the service industry!).
As long as I am in the restaurant, behaving normally, ordering of the menu...you BRING ME WHAT I WANT!
That is your job!
I am not a personal guest in your personal house, so you SERVICE me and you are not doing me a favor!

Get a grip dude, why all the anger?

So if they have sign on the car that says "I only go to places within 1 km of Asoke station, then do you think they should then be allowed to refuse you if you wanted to go further?

Often rejected, particularly at night. Also at night  driver will often not want to use  use meter. Having said that I find that 95% of the time cab drivers courteous and cheerful. I also believe that the fares are ridiculously low, especially when considering the huge increase in the cost of living here over say the last 10 years and taxi fares have not increased.