How Do I Download And/or Enable Thai Fonts?

Mobi

Sorry if this all pretty obvious to you geniuses out there.

My wife is taking computer lessons and wants to practice on one of my computers.

She says she uses English menus - so I don't think she needs a Thai version of Windows.

From what I understand, she uses English menus, but sometimes wants to type stuff in Thai, and she tells me there is a button on the task bar (at school) which switches form English to Thai.

I was told I just need to download Thai fonts, or I may have them already on my PC. Either way, how do I do it and how do I enable them and how do I get this button on my task bar?

I use Windows XP

I'm not too bright at this stuff so please be kind to me. :D

Thanks. :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

Do as following. Hopefully it should work.

Click on START then CONTROL PANEL then click on SWITCH TO CLASSIC VIEW in the Left Pane

Then click on REGIONAL AND LANGUAGE SETTINGS then we should see three tabs. Now click on LANGUAGES tab then click on DETAILS button and then on ADD button and then add the THAI KEDAMANEE from the list. Click appropriate OK buttons.

Then click on LANGUAGE BAR button at the bottom of the languages tab and then click on SHOW LANGUAGE.......... (long sentence so no reproduction).

Now the Thai language should be added in your computer, if not PM me and we can talk n do the stuff live. Call center support for free. :o

.... then click on DETAILS button and then on ADD button and then add the THAI KEDAMANEE ....from the list. Click appropriate OK buttons.

Thanks - Followed your instructions; the language list contains everything from Afrikaans to Zulu, but no Thai Kedamannee. No Thai anything!

My Windows is genuine software - bought quite recently in Thailand over the net. I downloaded it.

What do I do now?

Mobi

Do as following. Hopefully it should work.

Click on START then CONTROL PANEL then click on SWITCH TO CLASSIC VIEW in the Left Pane

Then click on REGIONAL AND LANGUAGE SETTINGS then we should see three tabs. Now click on LANGUAGES tab then click on DETAILS button and then on ADD button and then add the THAI KEDAMANEE from the list. Click appropriate OK buttons.

Then click on LANGUAGE BAR button at the bottom of the languages tab and then click on SHOW LANGUAGE.......... (long sentence so no reproduction).

Now the Thai language should be added in your computer, if not PM me and we can talk n do the stuff live. Call center support for free. :o

Hi Mobi, (i only add incase ajarnmark is offline, but otherwise follow him) but do exactly what he said, - You did not see Thai in the list:

Okay, do exactly what ajarnmark said, but except where you clicked the Languages Tab, and then BEFORE you click the Details button, panel should look like this: post-12676-1166542755_thumb.jpg

check that first box where it says (install files for complex scripts including Thai)

then start over again. :D

Edited by kayo

Kayo is correct.

If Thai didn't show up when you were following Ajarnmark's instructions, it means the Thai support was not installed when they put on Windows.

Go to your control panel, choose "regional and language" , click the middle tab ("languages") and mark "install files for complex scripts including Thai" and click apply.

It will then prompt to insert your WinXP cd, or if the installation files are on your harddisk, you can point to them.

The language files are in the i386 folder of your WinXP installation files.

Then follow ajarnmark's instructions again, Thai should now show up in the list...

This should do the trick...

Thanks ajarnmark, Kayo and Monty - problem solved.

Had to download the file from the CD rom for my genuine Windows, but the "Copy" on my other Pc already had Thai fonts :o

Mrs. Mobi can now type away to her heart's content.

Now all I need to solve is the Upload problem on Thai Visa and I'll be a happy little Mobi

If any of you clever guiys have any ideas, the problem is on this link:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97272

There seem to be a number of people with the same problem.