Don Muang Tollway to Rama IX

JaiMaai

I'll be driving from the Northeast tomorrow and Google Maps tell me to get on the Don Muang Tollway and then I need to leave at the signs fir Rama IX road before going down Asoke and on to Sukhumwit for our hotel. I know I've been down this way several times in Taxis but I haven't paid enough attention to remember the route exactly.

Is this fairly straightforward if I just follow the signs?

How many sets of tolls will I go through and what will the tolls cost me?

Is there a better way?

Thanks

The cost is minimal, a 100 baht or so. There are a couple of ways you can go. If it was me, i would probably go the highway 9 route rather than Don Mueang tollway. I find the Don Muang- Din Daeng exit off the tollway the most confusing of the 3.  Sirirat expressway is possibly the easiest and most simply signposted. Just follow for Airport and Rama XI. Which side of Sukhumvit is your final destination?

Where exactly is your destination on Rama 9?

You really don't need to use the expensive tollway (100 baht full toll from Rangsit) unless you arrive in BKK during the morning peak or the late afternoon peak traffic.

Head straight down Vihavadi-Rangsit rd until the end at Din Daeng intersection where you turn left straight into Rama 9. If you arrive at Rangsit before 4pm you should be fine traffic wise. Anytime in the evening after 6pm should also be an okay run. Even the afternoon peak it will not be as bad as the morning carpark. Traffic does clog up as you pass DMK airport and the subsequent left turn to Chaeng Wattana but stick to the right lanes for a quicker run all the way to Din Daeng. 

We'll  be leaving Khon Kaen around 11:30 am and will probably take a break around Korat so will most likely arrive at the edge of Bangkok around 6 in the evening if we make it a nice steady drive.  Hotel is on Soi 23 so just a quick left from Asoke.

23 minutes ago, Lakegeneve said:

Where exactly is your destination on Rama 9?

You really don't need to use the expensive tollway (100 baht full toll from Rangsit) unless you arrive in BKK during the morning peak or the late afternoon peak traffic.

Head straight down Vihavadi-Rangsit rd until the end at Din Daeng intersection where you turn left straight into Rama 9. If you arrive at Rangsit before 4pm you should be fine traffic wise. Anytime in the evening after 6pm should also be an okay run. Even the afternoon peak it will not be as bad as the morning carpark. Traffic does clog up as you pass DMK airport and the subsequent left turn to Chaeng Wattana but stick to the right lanes for a quicker run all the way to Din Daeng. 

Thanks that certainly looks like a nice straightforward route and far less likely to go wrong than that tollway exit which looks really confusing.  So it would be basically straight all the way into Bangkok, then left onto Rama IX, right onto Asoke and finally left onto Sukhumwit?  Right?

If we miss the worst of thr traffic I think I'll take this way.

(final destination is actually Sukhumwit 23)

16 hours ago, smutcakes said:

The cost is minimal, a 100 baht or so. There are a couple of ways you can go. If it was me, i would probably go the highway 9 route rather than Don Mueang tollway. I find the Don Muang- Din Daeng exit off the tollway the most confusing of the 3.  Sirirat expressway is possibly the easiest and most simply signposted. Just follow for Airport and Rama XI. Which side of Sukhumvit is your final destination?

Thanks,

This also looks like a straightforward route.

Probably won't decide for sure till I get to Saraburi.  LOL

:smile:

5 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Thanks,

This also looks like a straightforward route.

Probably won't decide for sure till I get to Saraburi.  LOL

:smile:

If you take the Sirirat, be aware when you come off at Rama 9 it has you heading up Ratchada towards Rama 9, not southbound towards Asok. I did it on Sunday (not concentrating and came off early) and did a U turn at the Rama 9/Ratchada junction. Obviously the traffic on Sunday was not so heavy, and a few cars like I were doing U turns despite the sign saying not permitted. On the plus side if you do the U turn , you are then coming straight down Asok.

1 minute ago, JaiMaai said:

Thanks for the tip.

How far would I need to go to make a legal U turn?

No idea, but i presume not far, i rarely drive around there. I would get in the right hand lane and you will probably have time etc to see if other cars are doing the U-turn, actually from memory you are probably easier going right and doing a U-turn off Rama 9.

Just in case someone else takes this route (Wiphawdi-Rangsit) you need to stay on Din Daeng road. DON'T actualy take the ramp up onto the elevated Rama IX. Then turn right at the lights onto Asoke.

Archived