What's it like in the off-season? (I might settle in HH)

dblaisde

28 minutes ago, geisha said:

Although I didn't really like living in Hua Hin center area ( Khao  Takieb was too far and lonely for a single lady) i must say the weather was good, always breezy .I had moved away from Phuket mainly because of the price of rent at decent condos, lack of public transport, and the heat and humidity. If Hua Hin had had an attractive beach, i would have stayed. 

So where did you finish up? Asking out of interest. For me, housing appears too expensive in HH. I would be buying not renting. 

I moved to Jomtien as I found a wonderful condo at a very reasonable price, fabulous pool and near the beach, which is not great ( I don't swim in the sea  there only walk )  Also good weather. Near to Bangkok and airport and great shopping in Pattaya. I go often to Koh Chang to get the " exotic island " feeling back. Love it there, but unfortunately ( or not, as that way it will stay lovely) little choice of condos and no real shopping tho it's getting better. 

I moved to Jomtien as I found a wonderful condo at a very reasonable price, fabulous pool and near the beach, which is not great ( I don't swim in the sea  there only walk )  Also good weather. Near to Bangkok and airport and great shopping in Pattaya. I go often to Koh Chang to get the " exotic island " feeling back. Love it there, but unfortunately ( or not, as that way it will stay lovely) little choice of condos and no real shopping tho it's getting better. 

With beautiful koh larn just 30 mins by ferry jomtien is a real winner

17 hours ago, islandgirljenny said:

https://www.dotproperty.co.th/en/1-bedroom-commercial-for-rent-in-hua-hin-prachuap-khiri-khan_556165

Don't know why it says "commercial"; don't check any of the hotel sites (Agoda, Tripadvisor, etc.) if you want to see the monthly rates.  I live just around the corner from the Franjipani, if you'd like me to go ask them about current rates please let me know.  It's newly renovated so mold issues might be at a minimum.

Couldn't find the low rate (c. 15,000 baht/month) at the Sea Craze that I saw earlier when I searched just now, but that happens on the web ... worth trying again from time to time.

Another place right on the beach (with nightly rates) is the Blue Wave hotel.  Agoda just quoted a price of 1,300 baht per night.  Not bargain-basement but not too bad either.

There's also the Boat Lodge Hotel, and several nearby condos (but most don't have nightly rates).  

Lots of choices in this area (and in many other areas in Hua Hin!).

Thanks again for all this. It's much more than I could have expected.

I'll be down there in less than a month to scope it all out. Should be a good time of year to be a prospective renter. I just discovered that there's Google Streetview for that area so I can walk it from cyberspace, even peering into windows. I can see soi dogs and rubbish on my screen, so it's starting to feel more like home already. :) 

I'm excited. After Bangkok pollution, there's nothing more I want to do than a lot of beach walking to get my body and mind back to normal.

I'll drop you a line when I'm in your neighborhood, and can treat you to a beer or a meal. It's good to meet the neighbors. :)

cheers,

Doug

Edited by dblaisde

2 hours ago, cheshiremusicman said:

You say that you like walking on the beach and you won't find a nicer beach to walk along that the one at Khao Takiab (starts aprox 4 kms south of HH); it's about 7 kms long and backed by sea pines all the way. We also  have very good local hospitals for which you only pay local Thai prices for treatment. One is a Military hospital and the other is the Hua-Hin General hospital, so no need to pay the exorbitant prices that the farang places charge, I know because I've used them and had excellent service from them. I'm like you and nearly 74 years old and have been here in HH for 10+ years. If you are into sport then we have some excellent golf courses around us. HH has a 'Music  Society' which I have been  intending to join for some time, but just haven't got around to it. Plenty of very reasonably priced restaurants of all varieties, plus some very upmarket places. Local transport as previously mentioned is available at very low prices along all the main roads, so you don't have to have a vehicle to get around. Good local shops selling all kinds of vegetables/drinks  etc plus two very large shopping malls. We also have  a local sea food pier where you can buy freshly caught fish etc. A new ferry service has recently opened up between the northern end of the Khao Takiab beach that goes to Pattaya once a day. High quality coach services go to Swampy airport for 350B and to Jatajak marker for 140B, so if you fancy a trip to Bangkok it doesn't cost much. We have excellent air quality all the year round and probably have one of the best climates in Thailand overall. I have attached a photo of the local beach mentioned above. If you require any further information just send me a personal email to me.

DSCN3340-001.JPG

I love sea pines! I didn't know about the military hospital. That's interesting. I've heard some fairly iffy things about say, Bangkok Hospital HH. (But no matter: BKK is close by).

I'm not a golfer, but love to walk on golf greens! (All that fresh air, just me and my army helmet:). Shops, cheap food, all good, especially farang food, since I've developed nasty allergies to MSG, oyster sauce (which is MSG), and a number of other Thai cooking sauces.

And the available transport for somebody who doesn't want to own or drive a motorbike but doesn't mind the occasional surprise 6 mile walk.

Thanks again for the help.

Edited by dblaisde

On 3/31/2017 at 4:56 PM, dblaisde said:

I love sea pines! I didn't know about the military hospital. That's interesting. I've heard some fairly iffy things about say, Bangkok Hospital HH. (But no matter: BKK is close by).

I'm not a golfer, but love to walk on golf greens! (All that fresh air, just me and my army helmet:). Shops, cheap food, all good, especially farang food, since I've developed nasty allergies to MSG, oyster sauce (which is MSG), and a number of other Thai cooking sauces.

And the available transport for somebody who doesn't want to own or drive a motorbike but doesn't mind the occasional surprise 6 mile walk.

Thanks again for the help.

That was a great photo, cheshiremusicman--where exactly did you take it? is it south of the golf course?

I still haven't made it over to the Franjipani (though I am curious about how it looks now--a couple of friends stayed there a while back, before the renovations, and they liked it a lot, especially the huge pool).

I did notice when I went into town yesterday that there are some signs on the street for rentals at very low prices (a couple of sample photos of the ad for one place--this is right on the main road south of the police station, and very near the beach--are attached).  Most of the newest buildings (and there are a LOT in this area--there's been an absolute building frenzy over the past six or seven years) have very tiny rooms, but if you're not looking for luxury you can definitely find something in the 15,000-16,000 range.

Good luck, and let us know when you're in town!  

condo_0831.JPG

condo_0832.JPG

21 hours ago, islandgirljenny said:

That was a great photo, cheshiremusicman--where exactly did you take it? is it south of the golf course?

I still haven't made it over to the Franjipani (though I am curious about how it looks now--a couple of friends stayed there a while back, before the renovations, and they liked it a lot, especially the huge pool).

I did notice when I went into town yesterday that there are some signs on the street for rentals at very low prices (a couple of sample photos of the ad for one place--this is right on the main road south of the police station, and very near the beach--are attached).  Most of the newest buildings (and there are a LOT in this area--there's been an absolute building frenzy over the past six or seven years) have very tiny rooms, but if you're not looking for luxury you can definitely find something in the 15,000-16,000 range.

Good luck, and let us know when you're in town!  

condo_0831.JPG

condo_0832.JPG

Hey! Thanks!

I could be comfortable with up to 25-30K (or even buy) but initially I need a cheap day-to-day place (like the Condo Baan) to explore the area and see if it's for me. For that I need mobility, and possibly move around a bit and then take the plunge into a longer contract and better accommodation once I make my mind up to stay awhile. If the sea is close by, I suppose I don't need a pool and if it's not close by I'll get more exercise in my walk to the sea, no gym membership required. :) I'm mainly a walker anyway. First step is to see if I fit in there. I'm pretty sure I'll like the geography.

Thanks for the inside info! I'm filing all this away for a trip in the next 3-4 weeks, maybe sooner. Time to get out of BKK.

• 1 month later...
On 30/03/2017 at 5:54 AM, dblaisde said:

I also was hoping the conversational level might be higher than Pattaya. (ie: people have conversations not limited to food, the evils of Thailand, Thai women especially, how drunk they got last night, or football)

Ill try not offend everyone but Thailand as a whole tends to attract those very people so it tends not to matter which part you are in. The art of a decent conversation tends to be lost out there.

Hua hin tends to attract many Scandinavians and also the French ( whom tbh are the people i spend most of my time with)

It must be bad when you'd rather hang out with the French than the English lol ;)