Fingerprint scanning access in my condo

Hello,

I am renting a condo in 15 residence condo and there is a new juristic management company since February 2017.

Ever since they got in, not a single week go by without a new stupid rule.

The new one in date : mandatory fingerprint scan access to enter the building.

I find this pretty extreme and foolish as I am convinced they are not competent enough to handle such critical data as fingerprints.

My question is very simple : is this legal ? Can I oppose this ? Is this ground to cancel my lease contract ?

I have asked if using a keycard would still be possible, they were pretty categorical, that will not be allowed.

Thanks a lot for your help.

P.S : before any troll ask, I am not a criminal worrying about fingerscan, I am just a IT consultant who knows too much about how easy it is to hack into computers, especially when those run on windows XP and used in a unlocked room open 10 hours a day...(by pretty ignorant and obnoxious people at that...)

It's for good reason, mainly to stop landlords from renting out nightly and weekly on air bnb

Before you could pass around lift swipe cards but now you must be registered with condo juristic and get a scan done

While you feel inconvenienced , myself as a landlord welcomes this technology..

Funny you should mention this as I just finished setting one up to keep tabs on the cleaning staff where my wife works. The units dont store your fingerprints as such and sends information like user 123 entered at 2pm etc, to a database back-end on a network computer. Its one finger and thats not stored in the computer.

Unless its a top end unit, its not much different to the finger scanners that were on laptops a couple of years ago. They may not even connect to a computer, probably just operate an electric lock to open the door.

Thanks for your answer. 

I beg to differ.

I believe that is a violation of my privacy to give a fingerprint to keep on file for entering. Besides, identity theft is a real issue and so easy in countries like Thailand.

I should be offered another option.

Just now, Swiss1960 said:

The only downside might be that you have to go downstairs to accept and acknowledge the hookers you invite.

Do you really think you are being clever by writing the sentence above?

Do I really have a chance to leave? Can I break my lease contract on that ground? 

13 minutes ago, sinclairfr said:

I appreciate all your answers guys.

Let's not enter into a debate on bioethics here. My question is simple : is this ground to cancel my lease and get my deposit back?

The short answer would be no, you can really only break a lease if the landlord is in breech of the lease conditions, and even then you may not get back a deposit, unless you go to court etc. 

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The short answer would be no, you can really only break a lease if the landlord is in breech of the lease conditions, and even then you may not get back a deposit, unless you go to court etc. 

Thank you so much for a direct answer without any trolling, nonsense sideways or unjustified personal attacks.  

You just made me regain hope in mankind :-) I am not even joking.

I will talk to my landlord and introduce him to a new prospective tenant, that should be enough to get out or this situation.

Thanks again

I would welcome a fingerprint scan as it would be a great convenience not to carry a key card and would help keep undocumented people from entering the condo.

It should work on the elevators as well.

On 3/31/2017 at 8:01 PM, trogers said:

Lifting a fingerprint on a sticky tape can also open the door ?

Must be a bloody good scanner then.  

The one in my building recognises my finger about once every 20 attempts.  

So I don't bother using it, the security guards buzz me in or I grab the spare 'access token' and buzz myself in with that.

On 3/31/2017 at 7:36 PM, sinclairfr said:

Thanks for your answer. 

I beg to differ.

I believe that is a violation of my privacy to give a fingerprint to keep on file for entering. Besides, identity theft is a real issue and so easy in countries like Thailand.

I should be offered another option.

I guess the obvious option is to move. If you have a wife or g/f would they need to register to. Part of me says this OK and part does not like it. Its the damn Gemini in me I guess. 

I would be concerned about a lady lifting my print off an object, then dusting it to print or photograph it, so the security device could be tricked.

No big secret as they do it in the movies and it's published in books.

In fact a thief could probably wipe the last print off and after you leave your print, lift it and dust it to reproduce it.

I would send a formal letter, registered mail with tracking, placing Management on notice that if the above schemes are used to steal your personal property, you will take the position that they are legally liable for your damages, plus Attorney fees!

That might make them chose another option.

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Must be a bloody good scanner then.  

The one in my building recognises my finger about once every 20 attempts.  

So I don't bother using it, the security guards buzz me in or I grab the spare 'access token' and buzz myself in with that.

You should register a different finger with deeper grooves. 

On 3/31/2017 at 8:00 PM, sinclairfr said:

Do you really think you are being clever by writing the sentence above?

Do I really have a chance to leave? Can I break my lease contract on that ground? 

Your a newbie and they are on here so brace yourself. Cheap shoters abound. 

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

You should register a different finger with deeper grooves. 

Did I forget to mention I used acid on my fingers to obscure my fingerprints many years ago ;-)

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

What is there not to like about it ?

Ah laddie your back again with your how come questions. I was having a Forest Gump day thinking there was nothing left in life as a challenge and then you pop up again. How are you my friend??

6 minutes ago, Kabula said:

I would be concerned about a lady lifting my print off an object, then dusting it to print or photograph it, so the security device could be tricked.

No big secret as they do it in the movies and it's published in books.

In fact a thief could probably wipe the last print off and after you leave your print, lift it and dust it to reproduce it.

I would send a formal letter, registered mail with tracking, placing Management on notice that if the above schemes are used to steal your personal property, you will take the position that they are legally liable for your damages, plus Attorney fees!

That might make them chose another option.

The finger scanner is only used to enter the building, you still need a key to get into your room .

There would reallly be no need to go through all that trouble to replicate a finger print on the scanner and photo copy it and use that to gain entrance , all you would need to do would be to ask someone to let you in