Firefighter girl, 9, helps parents battle Pratunam market blaze

rooster59

Firefighter girl, 9, helps parents battle Pratunam market blaze

By The Nation

3f35d0d346d8505439185a74223906ce.jpeg

A nine-year-old girl helped her parents fight a fire which broke out at the Pratunam clothing market in Bangkok on Saturday morning. People who saw the little girl on duty praised her courage and volunteer spirit. 

The girl’s father Preecha Chayintu ,27, who is a rescue volunteer, said that the fire broke out at about 5am at a clothing warehouse, so he, his wife and his daughter rushed to the scene to join the firefighting team in putting the blaze out. 

Piyada Chayintu, or “Nong Pew”, is a Grade 3 pupil at Phra Tamnak Suan kularb School. 

The little girl has accompanied her parents in fighting fires for three years. She has been recognised as a “child fire fighter” with a label on her sleeve. 

Although Piyada does not fight fires on the front line, her father said her duty is to pick up the fire hose, and keep an eye on water pumps and the electricity generator.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311016

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-02

Hardly think a fireground is the right place for a nine year old, with all the dangers of collapse, explosion, heavy equipment. No helmet, boots or protective clothing. Obviously hopes Buddha will protect and prepares her for a life of riding motorcycles unprotected as well.

All for giving a child responsibility and a sense of empowerment, but there are certain things she should not see and she should not be near anything remotely dangerous.  Nice picture of the child working why the officers stand around in the immaculate uniforms. 

All for giving a child responsibility and a sense of empowerment, but there are certain things she should not see and she should not be near anything remotely dangerous.  Nice picture of the child working why the officers stand around in the immaculate uniforms. 

I agree. I too support giving kids experiences to develop issues like volunteerism, protection of life/property and others...... but.... I also think that a child of her age is perhaps too young to be as actively involved as she is (to the degree that the photo shows) or as close to the scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Look that the useless BIB posing for a photo, as if they saved the day.

They are free of sweat/water, superclean ironed uniforms, don't even have a radio to communicate with the rest....just standing there to smile for pictures...They even don't wear a belt with a torch/whistle. Sooooo professional krab :passifier:

That (too) young girl is working, wet, wears flipflops (very dangerous when working).

Good they didn't show the firetruck , i bet it's an ancient model since the 300 new firetrucks are parked unused on an abandoned field since 8 years.

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

They are free of sweat/water, superclean ironed uniforms, don't even have a radio to communicate with the rest....just standing there to smile for pictures...They even don't wear a belt with a torch/whistle. Sooooo professional krab :passifier:

That (too) young girl is working, wet, wears flipflops (very dangerous when working).

Good they didn't show the firetruck , i bet it's an ancient model since the 300 new firetrucks are parked unused on an abandoned field since 8 years.

You read my mind, entirely...! You mean like these fire trucks...? LOL

thailand1-master1050.jpg

7 hours ago, yellowboat said:

What BIB getting their uniforms wet?????   Unseen anywhere, look like they are posing to me.....

As I read the comments to any/all the TVF articles I constantly shake my head in wonderment as to how many readers/commenters have nothing good to say as they come up with negative comments about everything.

I've never seen such a large percentage of negative people in a group as I have on TVF ... makes me wonder aboout the type of expats that choose to live in Thailand

1 hour ago, carken said:

As I read the comments to any/all the TVF articles I constantly shake my head in wonderment as to how many readers/commenters have nothing good to say as they come up with negative comments about everything.

I've never seen such a large percentage of negative people in a group as I have on TVF ... makes me wonder aboout the type of expats that choose to live in Thailand

Perhaps the type of ex-pats who believe that SAFETY comes first, particularly for young kids, which does not mean merely sticking up big "SAFETY" signs on building sites etc, while totalling ignoring all known safety standards.

She's an amazing girl for wishing to do her part to help fight fires.   But she's too young for that.  However, if they are going to let her anyways.... they should at least get her proper safety shoes or boots and a helmet of some kind... 

Flip flops leaving her feet unprotected,  and no head protection just doesn't cut it....    

10 hours ago, Jdietz said:

Thanx so much   -  This is so typical - such a waste and all because of a couple of greedy politicians - why couldn't the Govt just confiscate the fire trucks, then put them to use.........General Dynamics would not lose anything in that respect because the US Government would have reimbursed them for property 'nationalized' by the Thai Govt......happened in Venezuela when they confiscated a lot of oil drilling equipment worth millions of $$......boggles the mind.