Assange set to stay in Ecuador embassy as leftist on verge of winning election

webfact

14 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Depends on the 'leaks'.

So far nobody has even said that Wikileaks leaks were incorrect - just that they were 'against the national interest/stolen' etc. etc.

IMO Assange is a hero.  One way or another a flawed hero, but his main flaw is more likely to be arrogance than anything else we've heard so far.

And so far all the 'leaks' concerning Trump and Co have not been shown to be incorrect either, and some of those elude towards criminal activity.

IMO whoever provided the leaks on Trump and his advisors is also a hero. It is easy. If a member of Government observes something that is illegal, and then leaks it, how can they be found to be in the wrong? If they knowingly hide or support a criminal wrongdoing then they themselves become complicit in the crime. Leaking the info is the only thing to do. I prefer 'whistle blowing' rather than 'leaking'.

Edited by Andaman Al

Just now, Andaman Al said:

And so far all the 'leaks' concerning Trump and Co have not been shown to be incorrect either, and some of those elude towards criminal activity.

IMO whoever provided the leaks on Trump and his advisors is also a hero.

I've zero opinon on the 'leaks' about Trump - and if I did, I'd voice them in the relevant thread.

Meanwhile, this is a thread about Assange.

Assange is a Russian puppet. Why are there no leaks about the Russian government on Wikileaks? Nothing on Putin or Putin's ill gotten wealth?

Does Assange's range only include western countries? I wonder why that is?

1 hour ago, Silurian said:

Assange is a Russian puppet. Why are there no leaks about the Russian government on Wikileaks? Nothing on Putin or Putin's ill gotten wealth?

The muppets sing his praises here don't want to know that.

6 hours ago, Silurian said:

Assange is limited to publishing what he gets.

It's not his fault if he's not receiving Russian leaks.

Perhaps blame superior internet security.

Many in the USA and probably around the world as well would love to see Trump's tax returns.

It's hardly Assange's fault Wikileaks is not publishing them - no one has submitted them.

If someone submitted material to him and he refused to publish it, they would take it to Greenwald,  "The Intercept", Laura Poitras, or others.

The  word would then get out as to Assange having  declined.

The above was the situation with Snowden.

Greenwald and Poitras were not his first choices. He submitted it to a newspaper or 2,  couldn't work it out, made its way to others. The route of his attempted submissions is known.

"Barton Gellman, writing for The Washington Post, says his first "direct contact" was on May 16, 2013.[96] According to Gellman, Snowden approached Greenwald after the Post declined to guarantee publication within 72 hours of all 41 PowerPoint slides that Snowden had leaked exposing the PRISM electronic data mining program, and to publish online an encrypted code allowing Snowden to later prove that he was the source.[96]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden

But way beyond that:

"Does Assange's range only include western countries? I wonder why that is?"

It's because you haven't taken a few nanoseconds to look for it:

The 1st item Wikileaks published:

"2006–2008

Apparent Somali assassination order

WikiLeaks posted its first document in December 2006, a decision to assassinate government officials, signed by Sheikh Hassan Dahir Aweys.[1]"

Also:

"Daniel arap Moi family corruption

On 31 August 2007, The Guardian featured on its front page a story about corruption by the family of the former Kenyan leader Daniel arap Moi. The newspaper stated that the source of the information was WikiLeaks.[2]"

"Tibetan dissent in China

On 24 March 2008, WikiLeaks made 35 uncensored videos of civil unrest in Tibet available for viewing, to get around official Chinese censorship during the worst of the unrest.[13]"

"2008 Peru oil scandal

On 28 January 2009, WikiLeaks released 86 telephone intercept recordings of Peruvian politicians and businessmen involved in the "Petrogate" oil scandal.[56] The release of the tapes featured on the front pages of five Peruvian newspapers.[57]"

This may be of special interest to readers of this forum:

"Internet censorship lists

WikiLeaks has published the lists of forbidden or illegal web addresses for several countries...

WikiLeaks also contains details of Internet censorship in Thailand, including lists of censored sites dating back to May 2006.[52]..."

There are more.

All the above from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_material_published_by_WikiLeaks

Edited by JimmyJ