U.s. Visitor Visa - A Shocker!

I've been a lurker on this forum for some time, especially in the time leading up to my Thai wife's interview for a visitor visa to usaland. First, I want to thank all of you who indirectly helped us to prepare for that interview. I thought even the topics about visas to the UK and interviews were helpful in their approach to things.

Here's what happened to us:

We arrived on time, lines were short and we were seated in the waiting area for the interview at 9AM. No problems. We saw a few girls dabbing tears as they left and I could feel my wife's anxiety level rise every minute. We had prepared everything we could, but I wasn't very optimistic because she doesn't have a lot of money in the bank (about 160,000 baht) and her job, while a respectable position, doesn't pay much. We had a letter from Mom and appropriate papers from her employer, but I just didn't think it was going to tip the scale with the lack of funds. When they called her number, I went up to the window with her and the gentleman asked if I was Mr. johnsonspot. I said yes, and he told me he wanted to talk to my wife alone and could I stand at the back of the room and they would get me should they need me. Two minutes, I'm serious here, TWO minutes later my wife turned from the window, came to get me and said the guy wanted to speak with me. He asked me how long I had been in Thailand, where I worked and then said, "We'll be sending her passport tomorrow. Thank you." My heart sank. I just stood there with my mouth hanging open. He looked at me with a smirk and said, "You've got a 10-year visa, it should be there in a couple of days."

I'm still shocked. I asked my wife what she was asked and he just wanted to know if I lived with her, why she wanted to go to the U.S. and where I worked. No bank books, no copies of her relative's ID cards, no work permit, no trick questions, no nasty looks or questions about her past activities.

Why? I'm not sure. My wife's English is fairly decent and she is a little older (36) but I don't know why it was this easy.

You realize the "10-year visa" doesn't actually grant her 10 years, right? It grants her the right, for 10 years, to apply for entry to the United States at whatever port of arrival. When she arrives, they will give her anywhere between 1 day and 6 months. Its totally up to the officer.

You realize the "10-year visa" doesn't actually grant her 10 years, right? It grants her the right, for 10 years, to apply for entry to the United States at whatever port of arrival. When she arrives, they will give her anywhere between 1 day and 6 months. Its totally up to the officer.

Yes, we do realize that. I was talking specifically about the consulate experience. I wasn't trying to be a moron and sound stupid, more mystified at the process and why it went the way it did. Thanks for the info., though.

I didn't think that's what you meant either. I gathered you were mystified that they were reasonable and fair.

I experienced almost the exact same thing (minus the smirk, tho) when my husband applied for a b1/b2 visa about 5 years ago. Not only was the consulate officer polite but friendly, giving him a 10 year visa that he didn't actually ask for.

I suspect that they are so used to seeing people without a reasonable hope in heck of getting a visa that to see qualified people becomes quite a rarity.

Yes, we do realize that. I was talking specifically about the consulate experience. I wasn't trying to be a moron and sound stupid, more mystified at the process and why it went the way it did. Thanks for the info., though.

I wasn't implying that, don't get me wrong :o I just wanted to make sure you were aware that this doesn't give her a 10 year stay in the US, as i know of people that understood this the wrong way in the past and got into big troubles, not leaving the US for 10 years after they got their visa and then finding themselves banned for life from entering the country.

I wasn't implying that, don't get me wrong :o I just wanted to make sure you were aware that this doesn't give her a 10 year stay in the US, as i know of people that understood this the wrong way in the past and got into big troubles, not leaving the US for 10 years after they got their visa and then finding themselves banned for life from entering the country.

OK, you were trying to be helpful. I've heard of people doing that as well. We were just happy that we don't have to go through the process again for another 10 years. Can you imagine a visitor visa letting you stay in a country for 10 years?

Congratulations to you both! Thanks for sharing such a positive experience.

I have recently had two Thai friends who are both, in my opinion, highly qualified to receive a tourist visa, who were treated very rudely and turned down without any reason given. I was present and witnessed this.

not to forget that the immigration officer has the right to refuse entry completely. example:

date: december 2004

venue: Atlanta immigration, wife arrived from Europe

officer: what is the purpose of your visit?

wife: we own a home in Florida since 1989

officer: that's not a reason to enter the United States

wife: but we are taxpayers here are the copies of our returns. our property taxes alone are in excess of 7.000 dollars a year

officer: keep you papers lady, we are the INS and not the IRS. here's your stamp... for this time.

result: in march 2005 our home was sold and we left the Greatest Nation on Earth

:o

Congrats Mr John

I've posted a few times on different threads with an almost indentical experience of yours successfully applying for a tourist visa at the US embassy here in Bangkok ... it's a good feeling :D

The irony is that when we arrived in San Fransisco the officers at immigration granted my wife 6 months and myself (Im from the UK) 3 months .......... :o

We had a lovely time :D

Have a great holiday :D

result: in march 2005 our home was sold and we left the Greatest Nation on Earth

You are right about the US being the 'Greatest Nation on Earth'. However you forgot to mention that the statement is only true if you are a Mexican and enter the US illegally across the border. What other country will give an illegal alien free medical care courtesy of hospital Emergency Rooms? What other country will educate their children for free and give them welfare at taxpayers expense ? If you are an illegal Mexican and get caught here, they just tell you to go back to your country as they do not have the time or desire to deport you. What a great country this is !!! :o

Congrats on getting the 10 year Visa. A friend of mine is just starting the process of getting a Tourist visa to the US for his Thai girlfriend. She has a Master's Degree, speaks fluent English and a good job. The agency he is using just told him that she will probably need 1,000,000 Baht in the bank which unfortunately she does not have. He was going to give up on the process but I will pass on to him your experience with getting a visa.

I don't think an agency is necessarily the right way to go frankly. Also, be aware that the OP (and myself) were talking about legally married spouses, not girlfriends. Both the OP and myself having lived in Thailand for some time, showing our own significant ties to Thailand as well as those of our spouses.

Way to go! Now all the apologists for the ass-backwards Thai visa visa imbroglio can think again when making excuses or Thai Imm authorities draconian rules which are tied up in Giordian knots. Perhaps the most succint question is WHY DOESN'T THAILAND HAVE SOMETHING LIKE A 10 YEAR VISA OPTION ?!?!?!?

Its existing Thai visa rules are unclear, unfair and so subjectively administered that a whole blogging web site (this one) is furiously busy with postings every day - trying to figure out the myriad inconsistancies.

I don't think an agency is necessarily the right way to go frankly. Also, be aware that the OP (and myself) were talking about legally married spouses, not girlfriends. Both the OP and myself having lived in Thailand for some time, showing our own significant ties to Thailand as well as those of our spouses.

Thanks for pointing that out as I you are probably correct that the financial requirements for a Tourist Visa are most likely stiffer for girlfriends than for legally married spouses of people that have significant ties to Thailand.

I do not personally have any experience using agencies as I handled all the paper myself for a Fiance Visa to bring my (now current wife) from Thailand over to the US and get her green card. The whole process went quite quickly and as smooth as silk for us so it worked out well that I handled all the paperwork myself.

My friend that is now trying to bring his girlfriend over to the US to visit on a Tourist Visa thought that perhaps is would be easier to use an agency. Since I have no experience using agencies I was unable to offer him any advice. I wonder if most people find that it is quicker and easier to use a reputable agency for Tourist Visa ?

I just want to point out to you for the record (as a former US embassy worker). The United States does not ban anyone (for this reason) for life from entering the USA. In fact the strictest penalty is 10 years before application can be made again however; this process can be appealed in Panama and the time can be reduced to one year. If you are already in the USA the chances of getting deported (if your spouse is an American national) is not likely but the fine may be stiff.

Thanks for pointing that out as I you are probably correct that the financial requirements for a Tourist Visa are most likely stiffer for girlfriends than for legally married spouses of people that have significant ties to Thailand.

I do not personally have any experience using agencies as I handled all the paper myself for a Fiance Visa to bring my (now current wife) from Thailand over to the US and get her green card. The whole process went quite quickly and as smooth as silk for us so it worked out well that I handled all the paperwork myself.

My friend that is now trying to bring his girlfriend over to the US to visit on a Tourist Visa thought that perhaps is would be easier to use an agency. Since I have no experience using agencies I was unable to offer him any advice. I wonder if most people find that it is quicker and easier to use a reputable agency for Tourist Visa ?

We considered using an agency as well but, in the end, decided to do it ourselves. I don't think they give you much of an advantage other than possibly helping you think of evidence for ties to Thailand, etc. As it turns out, an agency would have been a waste of 14,000 baht since they didn't ask for any of that stuff from us anyway.

Congrats! and glad to hear another success story. I was aghast myself when my Thai bf spent two minutes at the window, never had to show bank book, tabien baan, land deed, invitation letters, air tickets, pictures documenting our relationship, or air tickets and hotel reservation printouts. His letter from work and my Certificate of Residency/Passport were all he needed for a ten year visa. Thank Buddha we were prepared with everything we thought we might need, however. We leave early Christmas morning for 3 weeks in NJ/NYC/Hawaii and the time of his/our lives!

My GF is 22 and we've lived together in BKK for 4 years. I would like to take her to the US on this type of visa and I am American. She does not work (I support her) but has son living with her mother in Issan. Does anyone think we can get approval?

She will get B1/B2 visa or not depends on how can she proof that she will come back to TH after the trip.

This link explains about a person who wants to apply US visa (TH language)

http://www.bloggang.com/viewdiary.php?id=l...rl&group=11

Let your GF read about it so she will know how to do

goodluck :o

In some ways, tho, getting a B1/B2 temp visa for a SPOUSE can be more difficult than for a girl friend.

My now wife got her initial visa, a single entry, back in 1992 as a GF, and based on living with me as I'd retired here and was able to establish this to the ConOff's satisfaction.

Visa #2 was in 1993 or '94, same situation.

Visa #3 in 1995, same deal but she got a 10-year that time, presumably because she'd pretty well established that she's a "returnee."

OK, married in 1999, needed a new visa this year. The ConOff interviewed me more than her, the wife only had one or two Qs. One reason the ConOff wanted to know that I'm pretty well settled here is that they do not want to issue a tourist visa to a married couple so that the spouse can jump the normal immigrant visa queue by travelling to the U.S. and applying for Adjustment of Status for a "green card."

In the event, no problem, still only a five minute polite interview.

Mac

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am wondering what the deal is with the 10 year tourest visa. I hope my Thai girlfriend can get a visa to visit the US this spring. I am just learning about this so I do not know that much. Do I understand this correctly? If she has the 10 year tourist visa and comes here, is it then up to the imagration officer upon arrival, to decide wether to let her in, and for how long? It just seems strange that it could not be done in advance. She would stay maybe 20 days. I would hate to have her fly here only to be turned away. Is that possable?

Thanks

The 10 year multi entry visa means she can come and go to the US as many times as she wants over the next 10 years. Normal entry stamp is 6 months. Officer at Port of Entry makes the call on if person can enter and how long they can stay (up to the six months). My experience and others as well, is almost always 6 months is given, even if questioned closely about intent. Personally I don't know any Thai (male or female) that has been refused entry or not given 6 months (even when entry card said it was for 1 week trip). If you get the visa, I would not worry too much about POE refusal; that is more likely for a different profile than a Thai female. I would look at tone of other post from a member that is making this a big deal.

TH