Visit to see Laos gf...

PaulusE

I have a local gf living near Vientiane. She works there as a teacher and owns a decent size chicken farm.

I am planning to visit her and staying in her house, perhaps even one month. How strict are the rules now-a-days - is it "legal" to stay with her or how will authorities handle this because we are not married?

Thank you again for your valuable thoughts and inputs ;)

Paulus

No it is still not legal however things aren't as strict as they once were.

I have not heard of any recent issues in Vientiane where someone has been charged with breaking this law.

It is a different story out in the countryside though.

As a landowner your girlfriend is likely to know her local NiyBarn (Village Chief) and should make inquiries before you arrive.

4 hours ago, HungDonger said:

No it is still not legal however things aren't as strict as they once were.

I have not heard of any recent issues in Vientiane where someone has been charged with breaking this law.

It is a different story out in the countryside though.

As a landowner your girlfriend is likely to know her local NiyBarn (Village Chief) and should make inquiries before you arrive.

Ok, thanks. I will ask her to verify it.

Another question popped into my mind.

What is needed in order to get multiple entry Laos visa? And how much it will cost?

When I stay at my Lao wife's village we go to see the Headman and drink a few glasses of whiskey with him.  That ensures he's happy and no one else needs to know!  Our marriage is not recognised in Laos and technically we've broken Lao law by having a child.

I don't think there's a multiple-entry visa - you just get a visa on arrival for 30 days, for around $35 depending on your nationality.