amazing jomtien immigration

Agreed - we are very lucky to get such good service.  There is one woman, though, on the re-entry permit desk who does not appear to be gainfully employed.  I observed her over a thirty minute period: lots of phone-gazing; a couple of walkabouts; some staring into space time.  Perhaps she's the boss?

• Like 1

Went there last week. Not the friendliest service but after getting a queue number out within 5 minutes. The secret seems to be to just go at around 4pm... it's almost empty in there by then.

Edited by wump
  • Like 1

Agree that after more than a decade on retirement extensions< I've never encountered a problem at Jomtien (and that extends to earlier days when they were located near Pattaya Beach in my pre-retirement days). 

Always find them to be quick, efficient and hassle-free and, given the daily onslaught of farang with whom they must deal, I find them to be friendlier than your average government office employee here or elsewhere.

5 hours ago, wump said:

Not the friendliest service

Edited by Sheryl
civility
  • Like 2

I would have a received a much colder service in my home country so I'm not really complaining. It was only that in the past you'd be treated nicely at reception where they check your documents, but this time it was more like "fill this out", nothing else said. 

It wasn't so good for me yesterday, I went up at 3.30pm for a Re Entry Permit, normally in and out in 5 minutes.

Yesterday collected my ticket as normal, places was mobbed, checked the board 25 clients before my turn. There was the normal 1 lady dealing with them. By my estimations, takes at least 5 minutes per client I wouldn't be seen before closing time at 4.30.

Why were they still giving numbers out at Reception, I approached the Farang assistant pointed out the numbers waiting, he replied 'up to you' !

i returned my number at Reception, of course I forgot its Songkhran next week and people are leaving before the madness, fortunately I can go back after the madness finishes.

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Agree that after more than a decade on retirement extensions< I've never encountered a problem at Jomtien (and that extends to earlier days when they were located near Pattaya Beach in my pre-retirement days). 

Always find them to be quick, efficient and hassle-free and, given the daily onslaught of farang with whom they must deal, I find them to be friendlier than your average government office employee here or elsewhere.

Always amusing to see/hear of farang holding back the tears because they felt they had suffered  loss of face if they weren't endlessly smiled at while being served.

Agree with your first two paras. Third para, you're just being the Thai-bashing policeman again in your reply to a perfectly valid observation.

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wump said:

Went there last week. Not the friendliest service but after getting a queue number out within 5 minutes. The secret seems to be to just go at around 4pm... it's almost empty in there by then.

your right but dont tell everyone.30 mins :cheesy: normally 5 mins at most.

my experience is also always very helpfull and good conversation ,went last week for retirement,first day about 10 min to check all the papers,day after 3 min to have my pasport.Same for the 90 days,always around 5 min in and out.great job from immigration people.

4 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Always amusing to see/hear of farang holding back the tears because they felt they had suffered  loss of face if they weren't endlessly smiled at while being served.

It would seem from your post that Jomtien IO only caters for farangs. Things must have changed in the past year, as I distinctly remember a seeing a great diversity of nationalities/colours on my last visit there. 

2 minutes ago, catman20 said:

didnt the post before mine say 4pm?????????

25 people in front of me at 3.30pm, 1 IO dealing with the Re Entry Permits 5 minutes for each one, 2 hours and 5minutes in total. The place closes at 4,30 so they couldn'tt have fitted them all in before then not unless they were going to stay open longer.

3 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

25 people in front of me at 3.30pm, 1 IO dealing with the Re Entry Permits 5 minutes for each one, 2 hours and 5minutes in total. The place closes at 4,30 so they couldn'tt have fitted them all in before then not unless they were going to stay open longer.

your talking re entry permit wasn't the post about 90 day report ?:smile:

7 minutes ago, joebrown said:

It would seem from your post that Jomtien IO only caters for farangs. Things must have changed in the past year, as I distinctly remember a seeing a great diversity of nationalities/colours on my last visit there. 

What do you consider to be farangs?

Farangs are anybody that is not Thai.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What do you consider to be farangs?

Farangs are anybody that is not Thai.

I vaguely remember from my Thai classes that khon farang is only caucasian foreigners.  There were other words for Middle Eastern, Negro, etc.  Just don't ask me what they were.  :whistling:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, catman20 said:

your talking re entry permit wasn't the post about 90 day report ?:smile:

The title of the post was Amazing Jomtien Immigration, I didn't find it amazing,, it was standing room only so over and above the 25 waiting for a Re Entry Permit there were others waiting and they weren't amazed either or should I say amused.

Who ever designed the building didn't do much research, it should have been twice the size.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I vaguely remember from my Thai classes that khon farang is only caucasian foreigners.  There were other words for Middle Eastern, Negro, etc.  Just don't ask me what they were.  :whistling:

I think you will find that most people consider anybody that is not Thai is a farang is my point. There may be other words used by some people but some of them might be in a derogatory context.

• Like 1

ethymologically farang comes from the word "farang se" that comes from the french word "français".  long time before (19/20th century) then farang se was used to call the strangers from france

Edited by silverado

upcoming songkran and high season naturally efficient jomtien immi is kept being busy. when coming in may until novembe then the io's in jomtien working even more efficiently, having even time to answer personal questions elaborately. my gratitude for their always executed speedy service.

wbr

roobaa01

My unique experience was so different: I never visited a Thai immigration office before (have been coming to Thailand since 1997 on a 30-stamp) until that day (back at the very end of January of this year) when I wanted to get the newly established AUTOMATIC 30-day extension (upon paying Baht 1900) and what a nightmare that was! There was nothing automatic (or systematic) about it: There are two dodgy forms to fill out, provide all the photocopies mentioned in this post, take two photos (glue one them in the "appropriate space"; glue is available there + provide proof of hotel/residence). But that is not at all the end of the story; Then you stand in line and submit all of that (about 10 sheets altogether) and hope to get a number to wait in line for at least 2 and half hour. If you're there early enough then you are happy to finish by the time they close (4pm, I think, but be warned that "they" stop an hour for lunch at 12). If the "frankly-disagreeable" lady there thinks you have not come early enough then she'll coldly and unceremoniously just tell "Come-back-tomorrow" (she would not even look at you). Anyway what a horrific office that was! (but there other "services" there which apparently are better run than "the 30-day-extension" part). In all likelihood their "30-day-extension" idea ended up  an enormous success (in that it is appealing to many tourists) and now they want to capitalize on it! How? Well, after what I saw (and given that I had already prepaid for hotel and made my airline booking accordingly) I still had no choice than to go with the extension so I had to do it via "A visa-consultancy firm": They charged me 4000 Baht (2100 baht more than if I did it myself) but it was well worth it. The morale of the story there is no doubt in my mind that this immigration office "does what it does" so tourists have to pay more for this extension (4000 Baht at the very least because I had to shop around for "visa consultancy firms"; others have quoted me 5000, 6000, etc.... ). What a deplorable foul scheme (which has no respect for environment etc.... I had to fill out zero forms/zero photocopies when I went via the firm). I am sure that "the tonnes of wasted sheets" are never needed and is disposed of promptly into our "miserable planet"...

HOWEVER: It probably has to do with the time of year; my attempt of a 30-extension happened at  peak-time (end of January).