DVD players

Gandtee

I have a couple of cheap DVD players and recently replaced the drive belts and cleaned the lasers. All worked perfectly until I played CDs, after that I got 'No Disc' come up. In my ignorance I tinkered around with the Set Up buttons and still 'No Disc'. What should the settings be on the set up display? And what is 'Password'? How do I overcome it? I didn't realise DVD sets used passwords? Thanks for any tips.

• 5 weeks later...

Are they proper pressed CD's or home made burnt one's ?

You night have upset the lasers alignment while cleaning

For the password try 0000 or 1234 but it shouldn't have been set maybe the eeprom is corrupted, I have a player that regularly gets corrupted eprom just by trying to play "the wrong" disc, luckly it is a removable chip on that player so power off remove lid carefully remove eprom power up with no eprom

Power down again insert eprom and power up all back to defaults again...I think most don't have easily removable eprom's though.

4 hours ago, johng said:

Are they proper pressed CD's or home made burnt one's ?

You night have upset the lasers alignment while cleaning

For the password try 0000 or 1234 but it shouldn't have been set maybe the eeprom is corrupted, I have a player that regularly gets corrupted eprom just by trying to play "the wrong" disc, luckly it is a removable chip on that player so power off remove lid carefully remove eprom power up with no eprom

Power down again insert eprom and power up all back to defaults again...I think most don't have easily removable eprom's though.

Thanks johng. They were working fine when playing bona fide discs. But then I played a CD which I'd never been able to play, and it played. Maybe, as you say, that could have cream crackered it. Thanks for the advice but with my non existent knowledge of these things I'll drop them into the local repairer. Although the last one opened them up and lost all the screws! TIT.