Video: Pick-up refuses to stop after motorcyclist ends up in the ditch

webfact

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"DD, all I am saying is yes observe the rules of the road in what ever country you are in but ultimately be prepared to stop or give way whether you are in the right or not to preserve your self being."

A touch contradictory to your earlier post where you were clearly blaming the scooter driver.

"My pennies worth is the pick up started across the main rd well before the bike was near the junction, bike had plenty of time to slow to allow passage of pick up".

Wrong

I inferred they were both at fault; 

The pickup being stupid in his crossing slowly then speeding up at last minute, but I also think the biker could have helped the situation and saved himself getting injured or heavens forbid killed - I am not bothered about who is to blame, I am bothered that a biker ends up getting wiped out TBH

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Tilacme said:

So your point is,, despite being in the right by all the rules of the road, the MC  is some how complicit in his own misfortune for not driving in the way you think you have been taught in your own country. 

Google "Pragmatic vs right" ... It's better to be pragmatic and alive, than to be right and dead. At least in this case. (one can argue that some rights are worth dying for)

On 4/7/2017 at 7:21 PM, Basil B said:

Technically the bike had right of way etc but what I dont understand is why the rider appears to make no attempt to brake whatsoever?

He would have seen that pick-up aways off, was he not paying attention or just no brakes ? Looked like he didnt even slow down.

No excuse for the driver of the pick-up though.

I agree that the motorcyclist has right-of-way. However he is making a number of mistakes that puts he into this compromised situation.

I've always been against riding on, what we Brits know as the hard shoulder and will never do it myself unless forced to. You're  not as visible to other drivers when your off the highway, so to speak. I also think that his headlight is obscured by the the load in his basket, The result is that his visible signature is very low. The pickup driver probably didn't even see him.

He clearly is not scanning his surroundings. He seems to be totally unaware of the pickup until the last possible moment, And I've formed a theory that riding in the narrow near-side lane tends to create a sort of mental tunnel-vision. They seem to think they are riding in their own safe little environment and nothing else matters.

A long time ago, I went to a 'defensive driving' lecture given by one of these guys (See pic)

The main themes of the lecture were:

1. High visibility. Make sure other motorists can see you.

2. Make space around you. Making sure you have room to maneuver and do not allow yourself to be 'boxed in'. (That is immediately compromised when riding hard over to the left) 

3. Scan your surroundings. Check at junctions, check in the distance, check behind you. Do not just sit there looking in front of you. (Scanning is a technique also taught to pilots)

I went to that lecture way back in the 70's and I still remember those lessons and practice them.

Clearly, Thailand has a lot of catching up to do.

BTW British police motorcyclists are the most awesome riders you are ever likely to see. Here's an interesting website about one of their riding courses.

https://rideapart.com/articles/things-learned-riding-with-british-police

Police Motorcyclist.jpg

Edited by Moonlover

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I agree that the motorcyclist has right-of-way. However he is making a number of mistakes that puts he into this compromised situation.

I've always been against riding on, what we Brits know as the hard shoulder and will never do it myself unless forced to. You're  not as visible to other drivers when your off the highway, so to speak. I also think that his headlight is obscured by the the load in his basket, The result is that his visible signature is very low. The pickup driver probably didn't even see him.

He clearly is not scanning his surroundings. He seems to be totally unaware of the pickup until the last possible moment, And I've formed a theory that riding in the narrow near-side lane tends to create a sort of mental tunnel-vision. They seem to think they are riding in their own safe little environment and nothing else matters.

A long time ago, I went to a 'defensive driving' lecture given by one of these guys (See pic)

The main themes of the lecture were:

1. High visibility. Make sure other motorists can see you.

2. Make space around you. Making sure you have room to maneuver and do not allow yourself to be 'boxed in'. (That is immediately compromised when riding hard over to the left) 

3. Scan your surroundings. Check at junctions, check in the distance, check behind you. Do not just sit there looking in front of you. (Scanning is a technique also taught to pilots)

I went to that lecture way back in the 70's and I still remember those lessons and practice them.

Clearly, Thailand has a lot of catching up to do.

BTW British police motorcyclists are the most awesome riders you are ever likely to see. Here's an interesting website about one of their riding courses.

https://rideapart.com/articles/things-learned-riding-with-british-police

Police Motorcyclist.jpg

Good article but wouldn't work in Thailand, the rider would be too centred on finding the next somtam shop to notice anything. 

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Good article but wouldn't work in Thailand, the rider would be too centred on finding the next somtam shop to notice anything. 

Sadly, I agree with you. Just had to get it out!

Anybody on this post that agrees that the truck driver has the right to do what he is doing, either he/she is blind or lunatic.  There is no ifs or buts, the truck driver is 100% in the wrong.  In any countries in the world (except Thailand of course) when you come from a secondary road, you stop, then proceed when it is safe to do so.  I have driven thousands of kms in Thailand over the pass 15 years and it is a nightmare the way they drive, half of them, maybe more, shouldn't have a driver's license or be on the road.  Many times I avoided head on collision because they think that they own the road.  On a 2 lane road, they think that the two solid lines on the road is just to mark the center of the road because if they decide to overtake a vehicle, regardless if somebody is coming, many times they'll do it anyway, that's your job to move out of the way.  That's the Thai mentality, they want to see Buddha before they get to old.