songkran has started !

dave2

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

I think you will find that Dave 2 has confirmed from accents that they were British, i think i got that hint from him anyway before he confirmed. I am from the UK and am embarrassed by them.

Why are you so embarrassed? British people, have been coming to Thailand for many years longer than you and i.Songkran  has been a Thai festival for hundreds of years.Its not only the Brits that go crazy at this time.Its any drunken Europeans that get overly excited and behave stupidly and over the top.And dont think that Thais are not immune to this behaviour also.Don't be embarrassed about being a Brit. I am not, Do you think that i am embarrassed about the adversities that we have overcome in the past hundred years or so. If you are embarrassed to be a Brit then go to Kanchanaburi and see the graves, of the hundreds old 19 year old boys that died here.Fighting to keep this country from being colonized. Or who died as slave labour building a bridge and digging a path for a railway to India.

I am proud of those boys, never embarrassed.So please stop being embarrassed and start feeling sorry for the ones with the mentalities that make them think that stupidity is a right.

Don't hang your head in embarrassment, hang it in pity.

Edited by Khon Kaen Dave
spelling errors

15 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

could become extended like X-mas season which first was one week and now starts already from early November

On that note, I wonder what this gaggle of tone deaf morons would say if someone suggested they go shop to shop, house to house, and sing Christmas carols instead? 

"Are you mad?  It's only April, far too early for that, mate!"

Then stand there and stare at them with a grin, expectantly, waiting for the penny to drop.

"Right, mate, too early indeed.  Good point!". 

Edited by 55Jay

22 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

Where can I buy a water pistol?

in pattaya over a week ago ;(

and if anyone thinks these are not going to be used next week you should go and look around wararot market tomorrow :(

there were thousands of them for sale last week !

dave2 

pattaya soi buchaw songkran water guns out 28 mar 17 20170328_124920.jpg

8 minutes ago, dave2 said:

in pattaya over a week ago ;(

and if anyone thinks these are not going to be used next week you should go and look around wararot market tomorrow :(

there were thousands of them for sale last week !

dave2 

pattaya soi buchaw songkran water guns out 28 mar 17 20170328_124920.jpg

The ones at all Big-C's seem to be real guns then????

Edited by ajarngreg

16 hours ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

I wonder what the charge would be? If it's an 'offence' that will be laughed off next week, how does it become deserving of "a good beating" and arrest this week? High jinks can be annoying to those not in on the joke, but a drop of water is hardly deserving of such a harsh reaction - old farts excepted.

Yes I don't know wot all the fuss is about. It's only water, should be glad of it in this heat.

Better than them racing around town on big bikes causing mayhem. 

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

people who have to go to work and dress accordingly, should be aware of the consequence, and attempt to find other routes

What 'other routes'.  There is no such thing as a dry route.

If the idiots cannot get the dates correct what chance is there of them obeying water throwing zones, whatever they are.

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

If the idiots cannot get the dates correct what chance is there of them obeying water throwing zones, whatever they are.

Your reply is correct in the fact that it is the idiots that prevent dry routes.

Is nowhere sacred?

18 minutes ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

Yes I don't know wot all the fuss is about. It's only water, should be glad of it in this heat.

How big is your plastic gun?

4 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What about traveling in a car? 

4 hours ago, CGW said:

Kindly define what you define as "a good beating"? broken bones, severe bruising, loss of teeth, black eyes and a broken nose, maybe a little brain damage and a few broken bones? This is real life, not the movies, maybe just talking to them would work? if not maybe? you could justify opening up that can of whoop-arse!

All of the above with the pièce de résistance of sticking their bloody squirt guns where no light shines.

When i lived in Patts, before wifey came along. i used to avoid  Pattaya and other places like the plague at Songkran.

I do not see Songkran as entertainment, in fact i abhor the whole period.I used to go to my local travel agent and buy a Silk Air flight to Cebu in the Philippines.

Great fun,great girls,good bands (the Philippine people all have great voices and skilled musicians) Cebu is my favourite city.I used to stay at the Kiwi lodge on Maxillon for 10 days and visit bars like the Silver Dollar and other various haunts that i had found over the years.The Kiwi was an exceptional hotel owned by a kiwi(obviously) It was full of Guys from USA, Oz, UK,NZ. We had some great times, food was good too. And if you hadn't scored with a sweetie on your evening out, there was always a chance of some inebriated young ladies/bar girls who came in if they didnt get a customer that night.

I do miss it. But now its so dangerous,with this new president, that i fear he may have an adverse effect on the tourist trade. Ive never been to Angelies

I would love to get some info from those that have.

15 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

What about traveling in a car? 

Not everyone has access to a car/taxi!

I know to my personal cost about travelling in my own car during 'official' Songkran times.  I thought, like you that I would be safe in my own vehicle going to a meeting but I failed to lock my driver's side door, who does?  I had myself and very important original docs, required for a meeting with the accountant, ruined when my door and passenger doors were opened at a red light junction and large quantities of water forced into my vehicle.

I have seen closed doors opened  at bars and businesses with signs like 'Songkran dry zone' being thrown open from the outside and water thrown in from buckets etc.

Only your own home/room is safe if the door is locked.

Don't get me wrong.  Songkran is great fun to take part in, if you wish to, I often do and will take part this year but it should not be forced on you.

10 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Not everyone has access to a car/taxi!

I know to my personal cost about travelling in my own car during 'official' Songkran times.  I thought, like you that I would be safe in my own vehicle going to a meeting but I failed to lock my driver's side door, who does?  I had myself and very important original docs, required for a meeting with the accountant, ruined when my door and passenger doors were opened at a red light junction and large quantities of water forced into my vehicle.

I have seen closed doors opened  at bars and businesses with signs like 'Songkran dry zone' being thrown open from the outside and water thrown in from buckets etc.

Only your own home/room is safe if the door is locked.

Don't get me wrong.  Songkran is great fun to take part in, if you wish to, I often do and will take part this year but it should not be forced on you.

I've once had an injury at my arm, a visible bandage around and all Thais stopped splashing water on me.

But some brainless foreign idiots thought it would be great fun to throw a hell lot of water on me.

Best is to avoid places like Khao san rd and Pattaya around Songkran. They usually have an additional week to play stupid and they obviously start way earlier. 

In some areas of Bangkok is an endless Songkran celebration. 

Idiots in Thailand.jpg

Edited by ajarngreg

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

Hate to be pragmatic, but it could be that for whatever reason, they will not be here on the 13th, and just want to get a little action in, anyway (time) they can before they leave. 

I knew one of them was a TVF member....( sarcasm) 

51 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

I've once had an injury at my arm, a visible bandage around and all Thais stopped splashing water on me.

But some brainless foreign idiots thought it would be great fun to throw a hell lot of water on me.

I recall years ago in Pattaya celebrating Songkran with the locals from the soi I lived on. We had icy cold water and talc powder and everything from little kids to grandmas.

When a car would come the soi they'd stop it, splash some water on it and a couple talc powder handprints and that was it. If a motorcycle came down the soi they'd stop it, pour some water down the backs of the driver/passengers (who would patiently hold their phones off to the side) and dab a little talc powder on their faces. If people walked down the soi that weren't "playing" (no water guns or "Songkran" gear on) they'd be stopped and given a little splash and dab.

But anyone who came down that soi ready for fun got plastered !  Trucks full of people with barrels of water, groups armed with water guns, people dressed up in costume - it was ON !! Great fun !

No one tried to deliberately hurt anyone by throwing talc in their eyes (and then groping them while they are blinded), or trying to shoot them in the face with a water cannon while they are driving by on a moto, or by adding "something" to the water. Funny how every time I hear/see something like that, it always involves foreigners.

I noted a couple years ago that people had started spraying water nearly a week before Songkran (in non-touristy areas). Fortunately it didn't catch on.

Even though Songkran is supposed to be from 13-15 April this year I suspect it will be starting any day now and go until at least the 19th.

2 hours ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

It's only water all over the world all the time, day and night, inside and out.  Most people don't want to be doused in water while they are going about their everyday affairs. 

Many people are happy to participate in the fun during the specified few days, others can arrange to be elsewhere provided the dousing is only for a specified few days and agreed locations.  However starting a week early, continuing well past sunset, targeting people who are clearly not dressed for waterfights, etc. is giving the occasion a bad reputation.

I don't get it... you see these clueless tourists apparently out for what they think is a great fun Thai traditional holiday. You even go out of your way to go back around to find them after spotting them in a soi. You apparently had all kinds of time on your hands. Why on earth didn't you give them the courtesy of informing them that they are out of order and causing a disturbance and kindly tell them the dates of acceptable water splashing. You could have been doing them and all of the people in the vicinity a favor. But instead you opted to see what you could get out of it by taking pics and posting a rant? This is the same principle that TVers rant about (you too perhaps?) when people don't help people who are in trouble, accidents, etc. And this is a LOT less complex than helping in an accident. Why on earth didn't you help!!?????? Sure they should have researched better about splashing water, but obviously they didn't and it is highly doubtful that they would be wanting to cause any offense to anyone. They want to enjoy their time just like everyone else. What kind of high horse are you riding that you can't get off of it to help. You prefer stirring the pot online rather than helping keep the REAL LIFE community peaceful and enjoyable? I hope you think twice about your future actions and help the community rather than use incidents to stir up strife.

9 hours ago, CGW said:

Kindly define what you define as "a good beating"? broken bones, severe bruising, loss of teeth, black eyes and a broken nose, maybe a little brain damage and a few broken bones? This is real life, not the movies, maybe just talking to them would work? if not maybe? you could justify opening up that can of whoop-arse!

2 hours ago, Sig said:

I don't get it... you see these clueless tourists apparently out for what they think is a great fun Thai traditional holiday. You even go out of your way to go back around to find them after spotting them in a soi. You apparently had all kinds of time on your hands. Why on earth didn't you give them the courtesy of informing them that they are out of order and causing a disturbance and kindly tell them the dates of acceptable water splashing. You could have been doing them and all of the people in the vicinity a favor.

your joking right ?

ohhh dear another newbie keyboard warrier whos not thinking things through 

how sad :(

you want a 67 year old weedy old man who doesnt like thai hospital food ( been there done that for a week ... yuk )

and has a ticket to hong kong and a hotel booked on the 22 nd

to politely inform a group of possibly drunk young men who are built like brick s###hoses that they are doing wrong and might pizz a few of the locals off by their behavior and advise them to stop it ?

are you serious ? ...i have all the time in the world ...but im not stupid !

dave2

ps ... you stop to help at thai accidents ? . oh dear oh dear oh dear :(

cats on ice cat cafe yellow eye angry cat 16 feb 17 20170216_133222.jpg