Thinglish: Why professional Thais still use ‘ka’ and ‘krub’ when speaking English

snoop1130

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also hear many Thais including "OK" in conversation.  Some even say "bye,bye."  I feel that it may be beginning to drive me mad... :omfg:

joeyg - Is that because you believe Thais should only speak Thai? Do you believe that Thais should only speak perfect English or not even try? Do you speak perfect Thai and perfect English? Modern Thai has already been full of farang words for decades being pronounced the best that they can without having been taught how to change and properly form these words with their mouth in a way that is unnatural to Thai speaking people. (farang came from the word france) The same as speaking some Thai words are difficult for farangs because, as an example, we do not use the back of the tongue to give the correct n sound so Thais can tell the difference between us saying mouse or snake in Thai. The ng sound is difficult for us to form but can be learned by a farang the same as Thais can be taught to form English words. I actually love to speak Tinglish and mix Thai and English with a Thai person that does so as well. That helps both of us to increase our language skills. Thais tend to use more English words more often that are easy for them to pronounce well like ok or bye bye and these two words are also pretty much universally integrated in most languages. My Thai wife and I get along so well because we speak Tinglish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

joeyg - Is that because you believe Thais should only speak Thai? Do you believe that Thais should only speak perfect English or not even try? Do you speak perfect Thai and perfect English? Modern Thai has already been full of farang words for decades being pronounced the best that they can without having been taught how to change and properly form these words with their mouth in a way that is unnatural to Thai speaking people. (farang came from the word france) The same as speaking some Thai words are difficult for farangs because, as an example, we do not use the back of the tongue to give the correct n sound so Thais can tell the difference between us saying mouse or snake in Thai. The ng sound is difficult for us to form but can be learned by a farang the same as Thais can be taught to form English words. I actually love to speak Tinglish and mix Thai and English with a Thai person that does so as well. That helps both of us to increase our language skills. Thais tend to use more English words more often that are easy for them to pronounce well like ok or bye bye and these two words are also pretty much universally integrated in most languages. My Thai wife and I get along so well because we speak Tinglish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I was going to "string you along" a little more but you seem like a nice guy.  I was being sarcastic, as I often am, in disbelief of the OP and other posters here.  Criticizing the Thais for using some English.  First arrived in Thailand a 1971 via US military, then coming back ever since retired here three years ago and loving it.  I actually have no problem with thais that I can think of.  I'm from the USA and been Happily retired here three years. I personally can't think of a better place to be right now. My apologies for getting you going like that. Ragging on the Thai people for whatever is the bitch session of the day just gets tiring sometimes.