Not All Computer Monitors Are Equal – What Would You Buy and Where?

Stubby

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking about getting a new computer, but not a notebook this time. I would like some suggestions of where best to look in Chiang Mai please. What I really want is a nice, clear, bigger screen that I can keep some distance away from my tired eyes. And the second important feature is a keyboard that feels just like a solid notebook keyboard. I'm having trouble finding something like that. 

FINDING THE BEST SYSTEM AND MONITOR

I've had some good feedback from TV tech forum so far. For the screen, it looks as though the HP monitors are superior to the common Lenovo that seem to be dominant in Chiang Mai.

I don’t need a high-powered computer as it's mainly for writing, internet and email. I don't play games or stream video or any of that other high-resource stuff.

I've been to a few places but have got a bit overwhelmed with choices to be honest. I don't want to pay for features I don't need, but at the same time I don't want to skimp on what I do.

I know OF Pantip Plazza and Computer Plaza. Are these my best places to shop in Chiang Mai or are there other places to check out?

Thanks in advance,

Stubby 

Edited by Stubby

1 minute ago, jonwilly said:

Goodspeed Computers they have branches in Pantip 2nd floor and Computer Plaza.

Friendly and know their business I have always found them to be Good People to deal with.

john 

Thanks john, that second point is nice to know, especially for those of us out of the loop on modern computer technology ;)

Stubby

4 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Samsung 24" monitor. The best. I use two on my system and my wife has one. They sell them everywhere.

Thanks elektrified, I forgot that Samsung also make computer monitors. How do they compare to HP, do you know, or are they all pretty much the same in similar price ranges?

Stubby

5 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I use a standard LED TV. 36" on patio for checking email, TV Forum, general use and a 48" in bedroom for video. Connect via HDMI adaptor so wireless. Streams 1080P.

Someone suggested using the TV on the tech forum canthai55. But my TV is too big, and it would require rearranging the furniture. And someone else pointed out that the resolution is usually lower on TV screens than a quality computer monitor. They said that the refresh rate is usually slower too, which could add to eye strain. These things considered, I think I'll pass, but thanks for the suggestion ;)

Stubby

37 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Someone suggested using the TV on the tech forum canthai55. But my TV is too big, and it would require rearranging the furniture. And someone else pointed out that the resolution is usually lower on TV screens than a quality computer monitor. They said that the refresh rate is usually slower too, which could add to eye strain. These things considered, I think I'll pass, but thanks for the suggestion ;)

Stubby

Usually lower ... on a cheap TV maybe. My Sony TV has a resolution of 1920 x 1080.  My laptop 1600 x 900. 4K is 3840 x 2160  8K is 7680 x 4320. That being said be sure and check before you buy. Many sold as monitors have lower resolution than a TV

2 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Friendly and know their business I have always found them to be Good People to deal with.

I agree with 'jonwilly' re Goodspeed.  I have used them in the past but after a lot of research around the CM outlets and of course online I settled on Microtech, also in Pantip, to put a custom built system together for me this time.  Had it for a while now and very happy with it.  I used my own HDD rather than theirs and they still 'warrant' their delivered items.

I was complimenting this lady's monitor, recently...it was HP....impressive.  HP is expensive here, though.  Also, I don't like the ones with the external power supply.  I bought a Lenovo floor model for 1700..only 18.5 inches. Also, desktop systems can be challenged by ungrounded electrical systems.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

Thanks for your feedback everybody. 

I went out this afternoon and although I didn't come back with a new computer, I did return with a nice new HP 24es monitor. It's  resolution is 920 x 1080 and there are lots of settings, including this Low Blue Light thing that's supposed to be good for the eyes. I still want a new computer too, but for now it's hooked up to my notebook (lid down), and I'm using an external keyboard. So at least now I have one less thing to worry about. In case you're interested it cost just under 5,000 THB. There's a three year warranty where support will call to your home should you need them. 

Thanks once again for all the feedback it's been appreciated ;) 

Stubby

4 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I was complimenting this lady's monitor, recently...it was HP....impressive.  HP is expensive here, though.  Also, I don't like the ones with the external power supply.  I bought a Lenovo floor model for 1700..only 18.5 inches. Also, desktop systems can be challenged by ungrounded electrical systems.

I just bought HP. It might be a bit expensive but by heck nice monitors have come down in price this past years all the same.

Stubby

Sounds good...nice warranty..where was it made?  What are the other specs?  Does it have HDMI?  Do they still use VGA?  What was the production date?  Is the power supply external? Could have got in the US for 100 USD...maybe....about 30% more here on name brand computer stuff....be glad you don't drink wine and smoke cigars...my HP desktop will be 8 this year.  Bought a Vectra 286 in 1989 for 1300....no HDD.  Sold it for 50 bucks to a black guy in Phoenix in 1995.  used to make Christmas Wreathes out of used punch cards in the 60s.  Pop worked for Univac. 

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

19 hours ago, jonwilly said:

john 

I had the opposite experience. Purchased a Lenovo laptop from them, 4 weeks later the battery stopped working, they told me 1 week to fix and then it took them 4 weeks to fix it. Zero communications, they just don't care once they have your money. Never again, there are far better places in town to buy from. 

11 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Sounds good...nice warranty..where was it made?  What are the other specs?  Does it have HDMI?  Do they still use VGA?  What was the production date?  Is the power supply external? Could have got in the US for 100 USD...maybe....about 30% more here on name brand computer stuff....be glad you don't drink wine and smoke cigars...my HP desktop will be 8 this year.  Bought a Vectra 286 in 1989 for 1300....no HDD.  Sold it for 50 bucks to a black guy in Phoenix in 1995.  used to make Christmas Wreathes out of used punch cards in the 60s.  Pop worked for Univac. 

Hi KhonKaenKowboy,

Without looking I don't know all the specs. I had Khun Kong (the computer repair guy at Pantip Plaza) come and check and compare the spec with other models for me. Off the top of my head I believe it has everything you would expect from a 2017 model. Anyway, whatever it has or doesn't have I'm happy with it, which is the main thing ;)

Stubby 

You mention not a notebook this time but i'm assuming not a full desktop.

I have two uni students who have compact PCs:

1. Thai girl parents have a business in Sth. Korea. they gave her a compact PC for New Year. It's about 10% smaller (length and width) than typical smartphone and about 2 times the thickness of a smartphone, weight maybe 40% less than weight of 2 smartphones. Does everything, fast. For power: mains plug-in and has it's own battery and if needed you can sit the compact PC on a smartphone and it draws power from the smartphone.  Designed and made in Sth Korea but brand I can't remember. I think she mentioned the price was about 13,000Baht

2.  German exchange student, his compact PC 99% same as dimensions etc., above, including power arrangements. European design and manufacture, brand and price I don't remember.  

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

You mention not a notebook this time but i'm assuming not a full desktop.

I have two uni students who have compact PCs:

1. Thai girl parents have a business in Sth. Korea. they gave her a compact PC for New Year. It's about 10% smaller (length and width) than typical smartphone and about 2 times the thickness of a smartphone, weight maybe 40% less than weight of 2 smartphones. Does everything, fast. For power: mains plug-in and has it's own battery and if needed you can sit the compact PC on a smartphone and it draws power from the smartphone.  Designed and made in Sth Korea but brand I can't remember. I think she mentioned the price was about 13,000Baht

2.  German exchange student, his compact PC 99% same as dimensions etc., above, including power arrangements. European design and manufacture, brand and price I don't remember.  

Thanks Scorecard. It sounds like the NUC computers that have already been pointed out to me. They sound great and I haven't ruled them out. For now, I've at least got my monitor. In fact, all that's on my desk now is the new monitor and a keyboard. The notebook is hidden under the table out of sight, with the lid closed, so the setup is all very neat. But my notebook is six years old, so I will need a new computer to go with the new monitor before too long ;)

Stuby

On 4/8/2017 at 2:27 PM, canthai55 said:

Usually lower ... on a cheap TV maybe. My Sony TV has a resolution of 1920 x 1080.  My laptop 1600 x 900. 4K is 3840 x 2160  8K is 7680 x 4320. That being said be sure and check before you buy. Many sold as monitors have lower resolution than a TV

It's the DPI/PPI you should be comparing, not the resolution. 1920x1080 on a 24" monitor is going to look a lot crisper and clearer than 1920x1080 on a 55" TV. Typing a Word document on a hi-def TV, for example, is not a particularly pleasant experience.