The Me,Me,Me Mindset of too Many Drivers

Gonzo the Face

It never ceases to amaze me, some of the actions of too many local drivers.  One minor thing.  Yes, there are way too many drivers who consider themselves so advanced and important,  that they never have to pull over to use their phones.  Its impossible to state with any accuracy just how many accidents are mainly caused by use of phones, causing misdirected attention, resulting in a bang-up.  Naturally the phones disappear within seconds after a crash and the mind then is devoted 100% to "why its not my fault, and its the other guys".  ME,ME,ME..   But believe it or not, some drivers do pull over when using the phone.... or maybe to read a map.... or view some particular thing at that location...... Then heres the thing ..... why do about 80% of those pulling over. not pull up to a curb, or pull over to the roadside, if there is any, within a short distance , a driveway they can block?  Many will block a driveway and run into a shop or cafe for a quick snack/drink, leaving the car blocking the driveway.  Oh Oh sorry sorry when caught.  ME,ME,ME.

Another, and probably the most stupid of all.... which, in the past 6 months, I have seen cause two moto accidents, right here in front of my place. The last one, just a couple days ago, a young girl student, got pretty banged up.  A motorcycle coming to an intersection; the light turns red and all traffic comes to a stop, all except the moto twit.  He is too important to have to wait, so he pulls to the extreme left space, proceeds to the light and makes a left turn.  Immediately after the left turn the twit looks for the first crack in oncoming traffic to make a right U turn.  .....and as with most of the busier intersections at rush hours, jammed. Then twit finds a break between cars and hurriedly makes the right U turn between the two cars never thinking that there just may be another mototwit speeding down the oncoming shoulder and BANG-O.  As I've seen 2 of these in the past few months.  Police ????  Don't be silly.  Theres no cash in  this...... better at the collection stations for hemletless moto drivers.

...and I'm sure many of you have seen some of these stupid driving,   ME,ME,ME tactics.   Trying to save a few seconds.

i've seen three motorcycle accidents in the last two weeks, the last long distance road trip i took i saw two bad accidents, no big deal here unfortunately. that's how it is.

vent your spleen if you it makes you feel better but dont expect anything to change, just make sure you're careful out there.

15 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

How many will be blasted off their motorbikes in the next week, due to dumb farangs hurling buckets of water mixed with talc into the faces of the drivers?  I've yet to see a Thai do this.

" I've yet to see a Thai do this " are you joking? or blind ?

How many will be blasted off their motorbikes in the next week, due to dumb farangs hurling buckets of water mixed with talc into the faces of the drivers?  I've yet to see a Thai do this.

" I've yet to see a Thai do this " are you joking? or blind ?

FolkGuitar i think it is time for you to visit the opticians.

You have never seen a Thai doing that, sir you are blind.

The latest "fad" that seems to be growing in popularity here in Pattaya is cutting across an intersection. Motorcycles the worst for this, but amazingly, car drivers are getting into the act as well. Let's see if I can describe it: you drive up to a t-intersection,  and a bike suddenly appears from your left, and into your actual lane. They either continue across your path, cutting you off and forcing you to brake, or dodge to your left and around behind you - scary stuff. Pattaya really is the Wild West for motoring.

16 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Really? Where do you think the farangs got the idea from?

12 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

Really? Where do you think the farangs got the idea from?

I don't really care where. I've yet to see it happen.

I've seen Thais throw water at motorbike riders, but I've never seen one HURL a bucket full into the face of a rider. If you've seen it, that OK. Mai pen rai.

52 minutes ago, eddie61 said:

the best place to be for songkrahn is anywhere but in Thailand.

sorted :)

im off to see the shop cats of sai ying pun in hong kong for a week :)

ohh and by the way the pharmacy opposite lucky bar is closing for three days

so if your getting short of any meds ... get them now !

as others may close as well ?

dave2

hong kong shop cats book details 31 mar 17 20170331_180605.jpg

money exchange pharmacy 2 jul 13 2013-07-02 10.58.27.jpg

songkran pharmacy closed  notice 9 apr 17 20170409_194955~01.jpg

At any intersection it is allowed to turn left on a red light unless SPECIFICALLY not allowed by a red left turn light arrow. The local custom seems to be that you can pull out on someone as long as they have time to brake. In England this would lead to many punch ups but here it's just mai pen rai. I prefer driving here tbh. Much less aggressive drivers than the UK. 

My apologies if I am going against the grain of the usual Thai bashing I see in these types of threads.

You are right about the me,me,me thing, and it is not just on the roads, it's everywhere you go, on the pavements, in the shops, banks etc,etc.

But it is nothing to do with badness, the Thai people themselves are mostly decent, honest and helpful, but the low mentality and lack of common sense is everywhere

here in Thailand. Thais will mostly always put themselves first, and us Farangs will just have to live with it, but that is not to say you don't stick up for yourself when necessary.

18 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Nonsense. Mostly Thais do this.....its not a Farang thing.

19 hours ago, samsensam said:

i've seen three motorcycle accidents in the last two weeks, the last long distance road trip i took i saw two bad accidents, no big deal here unfortunately. that's how it is.

vent your spleen if you it makes you feel better but dont expect anything to change, just make sure you're careful out there.

I think I still have mine yes I do now that I think back it was my gall bladder that said bye bye. We have made so much medical progress break throughs in the last few decades to bad that they cannot invent a shot against Meism. 

18 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Out here in the sticks I have seen plenty of Thais throwing water at traveling cars and motorbikes, many times children supervised, but encouraged to do so by their stupid parents.

What I think you are referring to is mostly in the tourist areas.

3 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

The latest "fad" that seems to be growing in popularity here in Pattaya is cutting across an intersection. Motorcycles the worst for this, but amazingly, car drivers are getting into the act as well. Let's see if I can describe it: you drive up to a t-intersection,  and a bike suddenly appears from your left, and into your actual lane. They either continue across your path, cutting you off and forcing you to brake, or dodge to your left and around behind you - scary stuff. Pattaya really is the Wild West for motoring.

You want to try Rio Et, the worst driving and riding I have ever seen.

18 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I have!  I have been subjected to such attacks by both Thai & Farangs in both CM and BKK.

Makes one think they have a brain depository the week of Songkran. You deposit it for one week and then go back and claim it sheepishly. Oh well we are making progress from the days of the Coliseum. Everybody gets it no discrimination. 

27 minutes ago, RC8 said:

At any intersection it is allowed to turn left on a red light unless SPECIFICALLY not allowed by a red left turn light arrow. The local custom seems to be that you can pull out on someone as long as they have time to brake. In England this would lead to many punch ups but here it's just mai pen rai. I prefer driving here tbh. Much less aggressive drivers than the UK. 

My apologies if I am going against the grain of the usual Thai bashing I see in these types of threads.

Your new at the game give it some time. Don't bash willy nilly be selective precise and have your facts straight. Then its time for the potato masher. 

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Out here in the sticks I have seen plenty of Thais throwing water at traveling cars and motorbikes, many times children supervised, but encouraged to do so by their stupid parents.

What I think you are referring to is mostly in the tourist areas.

As I said previously, yes, Thais will throw water at motorbike riders. But I've never seen one step out into the road to HURL a full bucket of water into the face of the rider at close range. They will dump water on top of rider's heads, pour water down their backs, and toss pail-fulls from the road-sides. To date, I've only seen farang step almost in front of a moving bike and throw, with full force, buckets of water into the faces of the drivers.  Others have obviously seen differently. And they seem to very upset that I haven't witnessed this. To bad. :smile:

Edited by FolkGuitar

19 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I suggest you open your eyes. It's carried out by both Thais and farang, but mainly Thais because of the numbers. Some areas there are no farang so it's all locals doing it. What is it with you Thai-bashing policemen???

2 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I suggest you open your eyes.

No thanks.  :smile:   Sorry that you are so upset that I haven't seen this.

What is it with you Thai-bashing policemen???

What/who are Thai-bashing policemen?

Edited by FolkGuitar

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I don't really care where. I've yet to see it happen.

I've seen Thais throw water at motorbike riders, but I've never seen one HURL a bucket full into the face of a rider. If you've seen it, that OK. Mai pen rai.

I invite you to visit 2nd road Pattaya on the 19th, guarantee you'll have your eyes opened. You'll see plenty of Thai on Thai fights because of it. That's a blatantly inaccurate Thai-bashing policeman type statement.

3 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

As I said previously, yes, Thais will throw water at motorbike riders. But I've never seen one step out into the road to HURL a full bucket of water into the face of the rider at close range. They will dump water on top of rider's heads, pour water down their backs, and toss pail-fulls from the road-sides. To date, I've only seen farang step almost in front of a moving bike and throw, with full force, buckets of water into the faces of the drivers.  Others have obviously seen differently. And they seem to very upset that I haven't witnessed this. To bad. :smile:

There was one of our regular posters a few years ago, I forget who it was now, who got knocked of his bike by a Thai who stepped out and knocked him off his bike with a bucketful of water.