Granite Stain or Etch Not Coming Out

49er

Have white stains on my bathroom sink.  I'm looking for some advice.  I've already contacted cleaning companies and marble/granite restoration companies.  I'm getting some differing answers.  I just thought I'd get some impartial opinions here too.

I'm not sure of the material.  I'm a tenant so didn't buy it.  At the moment I want to see what I can do before notifying my landlord.  I've been told granite (maybe China black granite) or China black stone.  

I've tried leaving in a baking soda with water mix but it doesn't seem to work.  Maybe I need to leave on longer and let it dry more.  I don't think it's going to work though.  Seems more than a stain.  I'm not sure how it got there either.  Would you know what would cause this?  My girlfriend used toilet cleaner in the toilet and I've been told this is probably the reason.  Not sure how it got on to the sink.  She also dyed her hair in the bathroom last week and I used cockroach spray in the bathroom.  So guessing one of those.

Anyway, my options seem to be getting it grinded and polished again.  Not sure if that will work.  Maybe it can be dyed.  Or I will have to buy a new one.  Would anyone know the costs for these options?  Who to go with?  The dimensions are 208cm X 60cm and 2cm thick.  I've already got one quote of 9,500 baht for a replacement, including installation.  And a quote of 5,000 baht to have it grinded and polished.  

Thanks for any input.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My guess is the hair color and maybe not granite.  I know some folks have had their granite stain but I've never managed to do it (at least nothing that can't be cleaned up).  Maybe try cleaning with vinegar and another scrub with the baking powder.  (?)  I wouldn't look into replacing - what if it happens again?  If all attempts fail, try checking with Boonthavorn and see what they suggest.

You need to be asking the gf what she has done; thats a careless spill of something.

the probelm with granite is that its porous, hence they should all be sealed at least once a year.

you can check.....or no need the evidence is there.

I was going to say you can check the porosity by applying a small drop of water onthe surface. if its still there after 10 minutes then its good.

I made a similar mistake myself. I left some liver in a plastic bag overnight to thaw out. Next morning a bloodstain in the granite.

It doesnt come out and because you dont know how deep it has gone, I think grinding could be  wasted effort.

For me, I would send in a stain the same way the problem stain got in...rub something in slowly and carefully to disguise the white stain....then seal it big time.

Then tell the gf to get the hydrogen peroxide done at the hairdressers in future.

haha, I am just going to retract my finger pointing at hydrogen peroxide.

Just googled h.p on granite and it seems this could be an answer to remove a stain.

A bit surprised to be honest but do the search and read some reviews.

I still stink a stain would be too deep to soak out though

Thanks.  She cleaned the tiles behind the sink with bathroom cleaner so I think this is what caused it. I'm trying to search if there is anything in this that causes discolouration but I think this is the reason.

image.jpeg

Edited by 49er

Duck is nasty. It has enough acid to etch the top layer of granite. Happened to me as well. 

Depending on how long she let it sit, it can be just the polished layer or deeper.

You might be able to repolish the grant and get the stains out, but the polishing task is no that easy.

Not sure anybody in Thailand can actually do it ....

rudi

50 minutes ago, luudee said:

Duck is nasty. It has enough acid to etch the top layer of granite. Happened to me as well. 

Depending on how long she let it sit, it can be just the polished layer or deeper.

You might be able to repolish the grant and get the stains out, but the polishing task is no that easy.

Not sure anybody in Thailand can actually do it ....

rudi

Not acidic Rudi, caustic (base) on the other side of pH.  One might try an acidic scrub at attempt to neutralize.

17 minutes ago, 49er said:

On the back of the bottle amongst all the Thai writing I can see "hydrochloric acid 15%"

I stand corrected.  I thought the wife used it to unclog drains (which are the caustic ones) but now I see it is for removing stains (or maybe causing them).  It gives a solid '2' on litmus so definitely acidic.  So, if that caused the granite stain, maybe try washing with some bleach (which is pH 12).

Edited by bankruatsteve

From your close up photo, I would say that the phosphoric/hydrochloric acid in the toilet duck has etched the surface. You might just be able to feel the change in texture on the surface when you run your finger very gently over it. It does look like a crystalline structure below the surface has been produced which is different to the top surface. If my theory is correct, polishing the affected surface "might" work  but I would suspect not. It may be that the granite has a surface coating which you have removed.

• 7 months later...

I rent a flat in London - the tenant left   a horrible brown stain on the carpet -even " professionally cleaned ' couldn't fix it . I eventually found out that it was due to   suncream lotion  - apparently it's more and more common these days . Just a thought