Radar / Automatic speed control in north Thailand

Pepper9187

Hey guys,

I just arrived in chiang mai and on the road i noticed several warning sign regarding automatic speed control ...

Mostly around Lampang (from memory)

Is that actually true ? I could not see any boxes on the sides, and every car was doing at least 120 km/h even just after the signs.

If it's true, is it some new tech radar like in europe where they can flash from front and back = cars and motorcycles or only from the front (like 1st generation radar in EU)  car only ? (just asking by curiosity.. :shock1:).

Edited by Pepper9187

45 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Also on the 118 road. My understanding - the signs are erected first, as a warning. Cameras to follow.

Yeah well, how do i put this, it makes perfect sense.

The question is : is it fake warning like in some EU countries just to make people slow down or are there actually some radars after the warnings?

And can it flash motorbikes from the back ?

EDIT : Sorry did u mean that 100% when there's a sign there's a radar after? No fake warnings?

Edited by Pepper9187

Do not know if fake or not. Wife said the sign read that actual radar will follow the sign erection and speed display/warning lights. Just want to warn the drivers before implementation. True - not True - ??? That being said I have heard from people who were heading north from Lampang to Chiang Mai and received a ticket in the mail. So some photo radar already deployed.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

If you see a flashing camera's up ahead slow down. :biggrin:

People say it's just a rope tied up at both sides of the road, and if you hit it too fast, it runs an kodak disposable camera.

But i mean, i need to know, for "my friend" :sleep:

Last week, I was walking along a very little used pedestrian overpass over an expressway in downtown Bangkok, and as I walked up the stairs to the top section, I found a single uniformed Thai police officer standing at the guardrail pointing a radar gun at the cars passing below.

When I finally walked past him and looked below onto the expressway, it was a spot on the road where they had a couple of LED signs showing the speed limit, and sure enough, right at that spot, there was a police car and a couple police motorcycles with a small collection of drivers pulled over and presumably being cited, AFAICT.

I'm not out on the roadways that much. But in my many years here, that was one of the few times I've ever found police citing drivers for speeding, especially in a major urban area with lots of traffic -- as opposed to out on some deserted road somewhere. It also was the first time I've ever seen a Thai police officer using a radar speed gun.

The signs are all over thailand about cameras checking speeds.. I drive between cnx-bkk and cities in between quite regularly with high speed. Got once one 3 years ago around the toll way in bkk and one last week taken at phitsanulok. Friends of mine got tickets around lampang but even though I pass there above limits I never got one..

Just about luck I guess and the few bath I spend for tickets I am happy to classify as "roadtax"

23 minutes ago, Marcel1 said:

The signs are all over thailand about cameras checking speeds.. I drive between cnx-bkk and cities in between quite regularly with high speed. Got once one 3 years ago around the toll way in bkk and one last week taken at phitsanulok. Friends of mine got tickets around lampang but even though I pass there above limits I never got one..

Just about luck I guess and the few bath I spend for tickets I am happy to classify as "roadtax"

I just talked with the reception girl here in chiang mai and she confirmed that they do have automatic "radars", she said that you'll get cath only if you drive above 120 km/h (but i don't know how true is that, considering that it was displayed like max speed 80km/h,  it's just bar talking).

I've been driving south / west / est to cambodia i never saw these signs, maybe i wasn't paying attention but when i drove from BKK to chiang mai there was plenty up them especially starting from somewhere between uttaratid and lamphang and up to chiang mai (road 11, i took the long way).

So the 1M baht question is what's the worst case scenario, you get catch, then what?

You just receive a fine regardless of your (or should i say my friend) speed !?

32 minutes ago, Marcel1 said:

Ya, but a lot of folks would probably presume it's much like the CCTV security camera installations. The signs and even the boxes are there. But invariably, the cameras are either non-functional or missing entirely.