Income boost for Thai seniors in the works

webfact

Income boost for Thai seniors in the works
By The Nation

n7.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Thai seniors, celebrating April 13 as the official National Elders’ Day, could see the monthly stipend for elderly and poor Thais double from Bt600 to Bt1,200-Bt1,500. MajGeneral Sansern Kaewkamnerd, government's spokesman said yesterday.

Prime Minister’s Office, said on Thursday that the government is studying details such as possible source of funds and asking more welltodo seniors to waive their entitlement in favour of the less privileged.

The government believes a hike in rate is needed taking into account current cost of living, Sansern said. Of the country’s 10 million elderly people, 2 million were said to be poor seniors who had registered under the government’s project to aid lowincome citizens, which was still open for more people until May 15.

Sansern said the government also aims to help the seniors earn income through 39,000 job openings this year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30312234

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-14

9 hours ago, webfact said:

possible source of funds and asking more welltodo seniors to waive their entitlement in favour of the less privileged.

Just a second till I stop laughing. Hmm sources of funds well for starters cancel the submarine order and you can double the pension again to 3600 bahts now you're talking. Ask the well to do seniors to waive their pensions sure when Thailand is hit with a 10 in snow storm. Again asking the rich tell em to get lost its cancelled grow a pair. 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Sansern said the government also aims to help the seniors earn income through 39,000 job openings this year.

Ah here is the zinger. Lets hold a job fair for seniors. Cancel that one most seniors especially the women are busy looking after their grandchildren while their children slog it out in the numerous dens of iniquity. 

8 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Ah here is the zinger. Lets hold a job fair for seniors. Cancel that one most seniors especially the women are busy looking after their grandchildren while their children slog it out in the numerous dens of iniquity. 

On a roll here ElG my old mucker....

8 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes being around age 30 and being refused by most employers unless you have some sort of degree apart from the one life gives you could make you age rapidly. 

If you try and change your employment after the age of 40 you are stumped. They want young folks, they leave "Uni"? at over 20 with a rag that says they clever and then have a working life of 20 years maybe, brilliant. If they stay with the company after 40 wage increases are how should we say, a memory of times gone by.

2 hours ago, nong38 said:

If you try and change your employment after the age of 40 you are stumped. They want young folks, they leave "Uni"? at over 20 with a rag that says they clever and then have a working life of 20 years maybe, brilliant. If they stay with the company after 40 wage increases are how should we say, a memory of times gone by.

Sifting through the notifications and stumbled across yours. Finally one that makes sense. Bravo!!

Do you know what the word bullShi> means? My 90 year old father in law who gets up at 5am to open the shop and works to 19.30pm, that means 7.30pm for the less educated, now he cannot sell gigs in 1's  but has to pay cigs tax and drink tax and many other taxes and lots more of Hiso taxes to survive. Glad I am divorced (???) so i will not get him nicked for being related, but hey ho its coming soon??????????????????????/ smile you are on  CANDID CAMERA

123??????????

Sad to do this as feel I love this country

But PM as K>>> and Q>>>> frekin ferrets always new he was a L>>>>>>

Drive safe leave the Drink at home My Friends, its Songkram and party time but I need to see you after the 16th ENJOY

6 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Do you know what the word bullShi> means? My 90 year old father in law who gets up at 5am to open the shop and works to 19.30pm, that means 7.30pm for the less educated, now he cannot sell gigs in 1's  but has to pay cigs tax and drink tax and many other taxes and lots more of Hiso taxes to survive. Glad I am divorced (???) so i will not get him nicked for being related, but hey ho its coming soon??????????????????????/ smile you are on  CANDID CAMERA

123??????????

Sad to do this as feel I love this country

But PM as K>>> and Q>>>> frekin ferrets always new he was a L>>>>>>

Drive safe leave the Drink at home My Friends, its Songkram and party time but I need to see you after the 16th ENJOY

Sounds like their is a story in there somewhere. You lost me after the first 2 sentences. 

2 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

5000 is livable

1200 no way

unless living with the family

You are right, my wife used to sell pineapples, just about made a living, an old lady used to come by and just in front of her but not buy anything so she would get a free bag of pineapples ( chunks ). When I asked why she is giving away her goods I was told the old woman had no money she was poor so my wife helped her, other traders looked the other way. I guess she was on the 600bts a month which as you state goes nowhere.

Life here is very good down to survival depending on where you are on the social ladder.

On many occasions, I see elderly Thai men and women begging for or trying to sell what ever they can to make ends meet. How sad that these individuals have to continue there lives in such a degrading way.

My view of old age is a time spent putting behind the troubles of life and enjoying the last remaining years. After all, when we go, we are gone.

I would have thought that the community would have a much higher regard for those/these poor soles. They deserve much better from us all but more importantly from their own authorities and kind. After all, they performed their duty by serving their families and country alike!

It seems, BMWs. Mercs. iPhones. Skin whitening products etc... are far more valuable than an individuals life.

Sad.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The seniors here are it seen happy with no money they have either money coming from daughter working some where and either have land where they grow rice and other things. Fruits and veggies along with  chickens ducks goose and fish and these animals are all fed with what the land is giving either rice or fruits.

My  wife has sisters that are not lazy and fen for themselves.They are  very poor but have everything to survive and they are happy.

Life is what you are making poor or rich.

10 hours ago, pentap said:

On many occasions, I see elderly Thai men and women begging for or trying to sell what ever they can to make ends meet. How sad that these individuals have to continue there lives in such a degrading way.

My view of old age is a time spent putting behind the troubles of life and enjoying the last remaining years. After all, when we go, we are gone.

I would have thought that the community would have a much higher regard for those/these poor soles. They deserve much better from us all but more importantly from their own authorities and kind. After all, they performed their duty by serving their families and country alike!

It seems, BMWs. Mercs. iPhones. Skin whitening products etc... are far more valuable than an individuals life.

Sad.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The richer people seem to think that 1200bts a month is good increase without trying it for themselves and you are spot on the society here is all about ME_ME_ME and what I have, look how successful I am.

People here NEED things to live but many WANT things just for possession purposes, the vast majority here are in the NEED brigade, trying to survive and the people who WANT things could not care a toss so long as they are themselves alright and heaven forbid they should be asked to give up anything to help those less fortunate, they look the other way.

Well they are my observations anyway.