Fingerprint scanning to be introduced for all new SIM card requests from May

webfact

Fingerprint scanning to be introduced for all new SIM card requests from May

Fingerprint-Recognition-702x336.jpg

file photo

BANGKOK: -- The National Telecoms Authority are introducing mandatory finger print scanning for applications for new SIM cards from May.

Information from the scans will be stored at the authority's facilities.

In the first instance there will be 600 machines operational split between AIS, DTAC and TRUE corporations. By the end of the year this is expected to rise to 8,000 machines.

Software has been developed by Kasetsat University.

Full story: http://tech.thaivisa.com/fingerprint-scanning-to-be-introduced-for-all-new-thai-sim-card-requests-from-may/20985/

tt.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Tech 2017-04-14

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, graemeaylward said:

An ID card or passport should be sufficient proof! Even Immigration don't require fingerprints. I am not a criminal and am blowed if I will give my fingerprints to some private company for a SIM card.

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That will be introduced the week after., for your own safety

Edited by onemorechang

1 hour ago, graemeaylward said:

An ID card or passport should be sufficient proof! Even Immigration don't require fingerprints. I am not a criminal and am blowed if I will give my fingerprints to some private company for a SIM card.

I don't disagree with your sentiments.

But to get Permanent Residence, Immigration do require your fingerprints and all Thai citizens have to provide them when they have their ID card issued.

It is only a question of time before everyone will need to provide fingerprints to enter Thailand.

The horse has already bolted I am afraid.

NBTC says that the fingerprint initiative is mainly for customer’s security and to verify their identity when using sensitive activities such as mobile banking.

What are they going to do ?

Use the single "finger print" sensor that I use to open my phone to allow me to continue mobile banking 

Too bad no one has ever done a statistical study to determine exactly how many millions of dollars in foreign investments are lost because of this Mickey Mouse agency (my apologies to Disney  )

18 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Is that standard?

This is the first time I've seen that mentioned.

Only for citizens of certain countries?

At least at PP airport, everyone has to. And it is all 8 fingers but not thumbs. Not sure what they do if you're missing a finger or 2.

1 hour ago, thedemon said:
3 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

But to get Permanent Residence, Immigration do require your fingerprints and all Thai citizens have to provide them when they have their ID card issued.

It is only a question of time before everyone will need to provide fingerprints to enter Thailand.

For my new passport I had to provide fingerprints, and i needed to provide fingerprints for other government services in the past as well, so what is wrong with that?

When some Muslim wacko blows up the next plane or whatever, because he got through using a false passport, you will all stand screaming from your ivory tower that it couldn't have happened if they had taken fingerprint verification.

Wait I have an idea...................let's only fingerprint criminals, that would solve the problem NOT

9 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

For my new passport I had to provide fingerprints, and i needed to provide fingerprints for other government services in the past as well, so what is wrong with that?

When some Muslim wacko blows up the next plane or whatever, because he got through using a false passport, you will all stand screaming from your ivory tower that it couldn't have happened if they had taken fingerprint verification.

Wait I have an idea...................let's only fingerprint criminals, that would solve the problem NOT

Calm down. This thread is about finger printing for SIM card registration.

I only commented that fingerprints are already required by some Government agencies - and in general I am ok with that.

But when corporations start scanning and recording fingerprints, that is something else. Isn't it?

1 minute ago, thedemon said:

Calm down. This thread is about finger printing for SIM card registration.

I only commented that fingerprints are already required by some Government agencies - and in general I am ok with that.

But when corporations start scanning and recording fingerprints, that is something else. Isn't it?

No it isn't, because those corporations got the instruction to do that from the government, and the fingerprints will probably end up in the very same database.

Do bombs detonated by phones in the South ring a bell to you?

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

No it isn't, because those corporations got the instruction to do that from the government, and the fingerprints will probably end up in the very same database.

Do bombs detonated by phones in the South ring a bell to you?

You should move to Pyongyang. I think you would like it there.

1 minute ago, thedemon said:

You should move to Pyongyang. I think you would like it there.

I'm not sure if they have the fingerprinting there already, I think they don't need it, because i never read about planes blown up or bombs detonated or alike in NK.

May be you should hide your superiority complex a bit more, until someone you are close to get affected by a criminal act, that could have been prevented if they had taken fingerprint previously.

In the mean time, just stay in the warm and safe environment of your cave.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why don't they just tattoo a serial number on our collective foreheads and

be done with all the rest of the nonsenses for good.....

No need. They know who you are just by the phone if you have a Facebook account they know who you are without a photo of your face. The tattoo is the phone.

Every post every call and everything done on a phone is stored.  Nothing is private. It's not just the us that is doing it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/26/tech/city-of-tomorrow-video-data-surveillance/

At least at PP airport, everyone has to. And it is all 8 fingers but not thumbs. Not sure what they do if you're missing a finger or 2.

Same for Siem Reap airport, but I know only on leaving as I entered via Land and there were no fingerprint scanners there.

8000 machines in a country of 67 million with around 32 million tourists visiting each year? that'll work.

Malaysia and many others have been scanning at airport immigration for years.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app