European Reciprocal Health cover

sapson

Sorry if this in the wrong area but medically associated.

Do UK nationals still qualify for medical treatment and other benefits in any EEC country even though we are exiting I guess that will be a year or so away, or are the shared agreements already being curtailed?

At present the UK is still a member of the EU so UK nationals still enjoy the rights and privileges of EU membership; including entitlement to a European Health Insurance Card while travelling or living in other EU and EEA states and Switzerland.

As do nationals of other EU and EEA states and Switzerland in the UK.

What the position will be after Brexit actually happens will depend on the agreements reached between the UK and EU.

BTW, an EHIC is free. Some services charge to help you apply - these are unnecessary and you don’t need to use them.

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

At present the UK is still a member of the EU so UK nationals still enjoy the rights and privileges of EU membership; including entitlement to a European Health Insurance Card while travelling or living in other EU and EEA states and Switzerland.

As do nationals of other EU and EEA states and Switzerland in the UK.

What the position will be after Brexit actually happens will depend on the agreements reached between the UK and EU.

BTW, an EHIC is free. Some services charge to help you apply - these are unnecessary and you don’t need to use them.

Thanks for the reply, i have the card but now 4 years past expiry, maybe with a UK passport and the card number it would be accepted whilst waiting for a new card which I guess comes from the DWP, if they are prepared to sent out a replacement to a non UK address?............or can you renew in the EEC country you find yourself in.?

You cannot use an expired EHIC, you'll need to renew it. In the UK EHICs are issued by the NHS; click here to apply.

But just because you are British does not mean that you are entitled to one; from Who can apply for a UK-issued EHIC? 

Residents of the United Kingdom

Entitlement to an EHIC is based on insurability under EU law, and not on a person's nationality. This applies to all EEA countries. The UK operates a residency-based healthcare system, which means that insurability is generally determined by residency and not by the past or present payment of National Insurance contributions or UK taxes.

If you are ordinarily resident in the UK and not insured by another EEA country, then you are likely to be considered to be insured by the UK under EU law and, therefore, will be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC. You will need to provide the necessary evidence when applying. There are certain circumstances where you may be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC despite living in another EEA country. Further details can be found in the 'Living in Europe' section below.

If you are insured by another EEA country but live in the United Kingdom, you are not entitled to a UK-issued EHIC. You should contact the relevant authority in the country you are insured by and request an EHIC...............

If you are living and classed as ordinarily resident in another EEA country or Switzerland then you should apply there for your EHIC.

As entitlement to an EHIC is based on residency, not nationality, if you live in Thailand, or any other country outside the EEA except Switzerland, then you are probably not entitled to an EHIC; unless you are covered by one of the exceptions.

From How do I renew an EHIC for myself or family members? 

Living abroad

If you live abroad and you:

• receive a UK State Pension or exportable UK benefit,
  • you are a posted or frontier worker,
  • or you are living in the EEA and are family member of someone working in the UK,

then you need to apply to renew your EHIC by contacting the Overseas Healthcare Team:

Overseas Healthcare Team
Room MO601
Durham House
Washington
Tyne & Wear
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE38 7SF

Tel: 0191 218 1999 Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:36 PM, 7by7 said:

As entitlement to an EHIC is based on residency, not nationality, if you live in Thailand, or any other country outside the EEA except Switzerland, then you are probably not entitled to an EHIC; unless you are covered by one of the exceptions.

Just for the avoidance of any doubt I think the last part of your sentence (re exceptions) only applies -

If you live in Europe

"If you live in another EEA country or Switzerland, you will be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC if one of the following applies to you" so not "unless".

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

I think you were correct in saying that if you are considered non resident by the UK authorities then you are not eligible :thumbsup:.

Question would only be where is the OP considered resident by the relevant UK authorities?

Archived