14 fewer road accident deaths in first three days of Songkran holiday

rooster59

It West Logic that baffles Thai sometimes...My Wife often asks why we Ban Everything rather than be careful . Regarding road accidents she says you must be so carefull or U Die.Laws don't change mindset ,just antagonize. Some truth in that ,but not to control freak Nanny State lovers .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

13 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

I do agree with you in some things.In Australia you are right the police book you for everything Its become a money making thing now. Told my Thai wife Australia has become a police state where people are to scared to go out because the police are everywhere Once upon a time police were there to help you but now they have become tax collectors( as in fines for the government. But the problem here is Thai people dont know how to drive The government should be advertising more and make people learn how to drive the right way. My Thai wife has a daughter from deceased husband and she went to driving school She is Thai and she is a great driver Maybe the answer is to late to teach the older drivers so start with the younger ones

When you say the police book you for everything, do you mean when you have broken traffic rules that are in place for the good of ALL

If that is what you are saying then the ANSWER is right in your face is it not

9 hours ago, oldlakey said:

When you say the police book you for everything, do you mean when you have broken traffic rules that are in place for the good of ALL

If that is what you are saying then the ANSWER is right in your face is it not

Sure But when you have a police force that get promotions and gets targets they have to achieve every month then common sense goes out the window You cant tell me in all the time you were driving you never made one mistake. Might be something just stupid like failing to indicate and a cop sees you Once a upon a time they pull you over and if you gave a good reason why you did not indicate they might let you off with a warning Now there is to much money involved and the common sense approach is all gone then again you might be the perfect driver and never made one mistake All this has done In Australia is made people fear the police force and gone are the days when off duty policemen and women mixed in with the local community  Its them and us now

1 hour ago, Happyman58 said:

Sure But when you have a police force that get promotions and gets targets they have to achieve every month then common sense goes out the window You cant tell me in all the time you were driving you never made one mistake. Might be something just stupid like failing to indicate and a cop sees you Once a upon a time they pull you over and if you gave a good reason why you did not indicate they might let you off with a warning Now there is to much money involved and the common sense approach is all gone then again you might be the perfect driver and never made one mistake All this has done In Australia is made people fear the police force and gone are the days when off duty policemen and women mixed in with the local community  Its them and us now

I have a clean driving license, never had any penalty points on it, UK driving

That is actually a modern day miracle 

I dont mind the nanny state draconian enforcement where road behaviour is concerned, simply because life is precious or at least should be after all, but thats just me

I feel we must be prepared to take responsibility for our own actions

Policemen with targets, well that might be a good idea in Thailand, one way to get them off their backsides I suppose

I was not having a go at you, just in general, regarding the worldwide carnage, and the general, devil take the hindmost attitude 

Edited by oldlakey

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

I have a clean driving license, never had any penalty points on it, UK driving

That is actually a modern day miracle 

I dont mind the nanny state draconian enforcement where road behaviour is concerned, simply because life is precious or at least should be after all, but thats just me

I feel we must be prepared to take responsibility for our own actions

Policemen with targets, well that might be a good idea in Thailand, one way to get them off their backsides I suppose

I was not having a go at you, just in general, regarding the worldwide carnage, and the general, devil take the hindmost attitude 

Maybe the police in the Uk are more tolerate than in Aus  The police in Aus were once respected in their communities But since the government made them ATMS  they act like they are on duty 24 hours a day. Believe me i have friends who where police men and now have since retired They were good guys and used common sense. I think now the lowest fine you can get in Aus is 220 dollars which is for not indicating lol So it is becoming big business Sad fact is all these fines handed out the road toll is going up not down

7 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Maybe the police in the Uk are more tolerate than in Aus  The police in Aus were once respected in their communities But since the government made them ATMS  they act like they are on duty 24 hours a day. Believe me i have friends who where police men and now have since retired They were good guys and used common sense. I think now the lowest fine you can get in Aus is 220 dollars which is for not indicating lol So it is becoming big business Sad fact is all these fines handed out the road toll is going up not down

I cant comment on Australia, no experience, but you have my sympathy, as for the UK, speed cameras get a bad press

Its known where the fixed ones are plus there is warning signage, or there used to be so less said about the people who get caught by them the better, the mobile ones are, well mobile, pot luck then as most of us speed a little now and again 55555

I always found the UK police more or less on the ball, I was without doubt lucky over the years

The UK courts are the problem with too lenient sentences, especially where causing death is concerned

My only point here is that I prefer driving in a nanny state because I believe it gives me better odds in getting from A to B safely

It just amuses me when people crow about coming to Thailand because it allows them more leeway on the roads

Add them to the locals and the result is self evident, a sad and shameful waste of life

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

I cant comment on Australia, no experience, but you have my sympathy, as for the UK, speed cameras get a bad press

Its known where the fixed ones are plus there is warning signage, or there used to be so less said about the people who get caught by them the better, the mobile ones are, well mobile, pot luck then as most of us speed a little now and again 55555

I always found the UK police more or less on the ball, I was without doubt lucky over the years

The UK courts are the problem with too lenient sentences, especially where causing death is concerned

My only point here is that I prefer driving in a nanny state because I believe it gives me better odds in getting from A to B safely

It just amuses me when people crow about coming to Thailand because it allows them more leeway on the roads

Add them to the locals and the result is self evident, a sad and shameful waste of life

With a very colourful driving ticket history of around 25years, mostly speeding, you'd think with all the advertising campaigns of Speed Kills, I'd be dead by now, but no, not one single speed related accident. 

Its not necessarily speeding drivers who are the problem, it's all the drivers on the road who are afraid to <deleted> push the accelerator to get on the highway, or hesitate to make a discission to get on the round about, the drivers that don't concentrate and look ahead at the intersection or the traffic lights to see what's happening, or look in their rear view mirror and notice the 20cars up their arse coz they doin 10 under the limit in the right lane!!!

dude, there's so many more thing the cops shld be doing to make the roads safer and calmer, but noooo they sit in their fancy highway patrol cars and camera vans and let the machine click off dozens of fines every few minutes. 

My guess is ur one of those guys who do 80kms to merge onto 110 zone yeh?

1 minute ago, DjSiN said:

With a very colourful driving ticket history of around 25years, mostly speeding, you'd think with all the advertising campaigns of Speed Kills, I'd be dead by now, but no, not one single speed related accident. 

Its not necessarily speeding drivers who are the problem, it's all the drivers on the road who are afraid to <deleted> push the accelerator to get on the highway, or hesitate to make a discission to get on the round about, the drivers that don't concentrate and look ahead at the intersection or the traffic lights to see what's happening, or look in their rear view mirror and notice the 20cars up their arse coz they doin 10 under the limit in the right lane!!!

dude, there's so many more thing the cops shld be doing to make the roads safer and calmer, but noooo they sit in their fancy highway patrol cars and camera vans and let the machine click off dozens of fines every few minutes. 

My guess is ur one of those guys who do 80kms to merge onto 110 zone yeh?

I agree, for sure I just cited speed cameras as many in the UK see them as ATMs for the authorities

This was in reply to Happyman58 and his view that Aussie policemen have been turned into ATMs by the Aus Gov

I am sorry you missed that but no problem

As far as speeding goes I was once stopped at 5AM our girt said they have got you now 

No chance I said he is on his own and he was parked up a side road doing god knows what

Conversation went something like this

Do you know why I have stopped you Sir,

NO

All six of you were speeding but you overtook everybody

NO COMMENT

Driving license, Insurance and MOT certificate please

Heres my license, My insurance I will have to produce, I have not got a MOT certificate

No MOT Sir, why not

My vehicle is only 10 days old

End of chat

As I have said before you need to be lucky, I have had more than my fair share over the years

Needless to say I produced my Insurance details at my nominated police station in good time

You dont appear to be a Brit so for your future reference a private car needs to be Tested at a MOT

testing center, that is a Ministry Of Transport approved test center to prove it is roadworthy, once it becomes three years old, well at least on that day anyway 55555555

Hopefully all my effort has improved your understanding of my luck and driving ability 55555555

I am still on lbs and ounces and feet and inches, so whats KMS in MPH