Khanom vs Phang-nga

1happykamper

I have visited both areas but only for a few days. I will be renting a house for 2 months in Khanom very soon. Then go back to Phang-nga area to do the same and decide which is the best place for me.

Has anyone here by chance lived in either if these places? The big difference is easy.. Walking to.. Beach Access in the Khanom area. Thoughts about people.. Prices. ... Climate.. Etc. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't go to Khanom.... I have a plot there and it sucks !!

Well it will do if more people move there :)

It's a great spot... Some nice restaurants, a few bars and quiet beach. You can still get most things in the town and Surat is just an hour drive, same to NST... 

On 2017-07-17 at 5:41 AM, cornishcarlos said:

It's a great spot... Some nice restaurants, a few bars and quiet beach. You can still get most things in the town and Surat is just an hour drive, same to NST... 

Agreed. DO NOT go to Khanom. (We like it just the way it is... LOL!!!).

• 1 month later...

I'll be arriving at Surat Thani airport on Friday 29th September. I stayed in Khao Lak, Phang Nga, in couple of months ago and liked it, and hope Khanom will offer something similar, but a bit more Thai.

I'm with my wife, daughter and mother (mother has just turned 60, active, enjoys nature, been to Thailand many times in the last 10 years. We'll be renting a car from the airport and staying 8 nights.

Can anyone recommend:

• A decent hotel - must have pool, daughter of 4 will cry all week if not, the sea is great but she's not confident enough in the water to enjoy it fully. Preferably beach front, though I don't mind walking 100m. Budget up to 1750B/night per room (2 rooms), but lower is much better, I'm a bit poor after my last trip.
  • Nearby attractions - waterfalls or just beautiful walks, I don't know the area at all. I'm trying to figure out whether Khanom is enough for 8 nights or whether we will move on to Samui.
  • Car is reserved (4200B for the duration), but can be canceled with no cost - is a car worthwhile or is Khanom fairly walkable? I like a walk, as does my mother, and my wife could do with losing a couple of pounds! Bicycles? Transport from Surat airport? I'm thinking this is a silly question. I am well experienced on Thai roads, no problems there.

Happy to hear from resort owners by PM if you want to give me a good deal on 2 rooms for 3-8 nights.

• 2 months later...

Plots are not capable of sucking.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/24/2017 at 10:31 PM, naboo said:

I'll be arriving at Surat Thani airport on Friday 29th September. I stayed in Khao Lak, Phang Nga, in couple of months ago and liked it, and hope Khanom will offer something similar, but a bit more Thai.

I'm with my wife, daughter and mother (mother has just turned 60, active, enjoys nature, been to Thailand many times in the last 10 years. We'll be renting a car from the airport and staying 8 nights.

Can anyone recommend:

• A decent hotel - must have pool, daughter of 4 will cry all week if not, the sea is great but she's not confident enough in the water to enjoy it fully. Preferably beach front, though I don't mind walking 100m. Budget up to 1750B/night per room (2 rooms), but lower is much better, I'm a bit poor after my last trip.
  • Nearby attractions - waterfalls or just beautiful walks, I don't know the area at all. I'm trying to figure out whether Khanom is enough for 8 nights or whether we will move on to Samui.
  • Car is reserved (4200B for the duration), but can be canceled with no cost - is a car worthwhile or is Khanom fairly walkable? I like a walk, as does my mother, and my wife could do with losing a couple of pounds! Bicycles? Transport from Surat airport? I'm thinking this is a silly question. I am well experienced on Thai roads, no problems there.

Happy to hear from resort owners by PM if you want to give me a good deal on 2 rooms for 3-8 nights.

I have all the answers to these enquiries, and I will post them as soon as Brucies adblock pop up is turned off.

Until then, no more free content for Thaivisa from me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/12/2018 at 7:36 PM, Justfine said:

So which was better???

Khanom. Sawadee! Beautiful 3km long Beach to walk on.. Spotless outside if rain season. High season now has brought in tons of foreigners.. I saw at least 5 in the beach today  AND maybe 10 more at tonight's Night Market! 555. Enough coffee shops.. 2 with aircon.. Farang food choices.. Beautiful weather.. No air  pollution. 49 minutes to Don Sak pier for boats to the islands. 90 minutes to surat thani Airport. Complaints are.. It's sometimes too small.. So I travel every month or two. Zero nightlife...double edged sword there. 

• 1 month later...

Nadan beach is 9km.... not more than 20 mins to Donsak pier by car. 60 mins to NST airport. Nightlife depends on what you are looking for. No "girly" bars but lots of places for drinks and socializing at night, even one or two late-night clubs.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived