buying a small business for girlfriend

On 4/16/2017 at 8:58 AM, transam said:

Think I would give the idea a miss. Seen to many pissed off farangs over the years doing similar. But, if you have cash to burn and won't get upset about it give it a try.

Many birds have these ideas using someone else's dosh and it's gone down the pan. Some even "milk" until it fails, not saying your bird will do that but it happens.

I know one bloke who actually built a shop on the end of his house for his lady, that shop now has "extended" family living in it...

.facepalm.gif.72be7ee24d2c40ceb6fe6b299a0b4079.gif

The OP could end up sitting in front of a 7 Eleven, or somewhere at Khao San road and asking people for money to buy a ticket back home.

The Jerk.jpg

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

We are a little off topic which is frowned upon. So mate, you search out human trafficking and Angeles City Philippines and see what you come up with. It's been tested up and down the courts, not only of public opinion but of legal process, and well mate, figure out if 10 years to life is worth the risk of pimping in SEA? Sorry to digress and good luck to the OP and his lady opening a business. People have to eat and sleep which is where I always invested my money. Did quite well if I don't mind saying so OO. 

Bruce, you didnt quote all my post, so that was a bit naughty, and misleading.

There are over 10,000 bars in Pattaya . All run by someone or another. All mostly have girls working in the bars. This is a part of the game.You are using western,Some might say, Salvation Army rules,in a Sodom and Gomorrah world.It 's never gonna stop, so you can berate it all you like.It part of the furniture.And yes, i have been to Cebu city, many times and Angelese, but as a visitor, a tourist, if i got into checking out people trafficking, i would either get shot or involved in something i should not have. Tell me Bruce, are you someone who has found God, or Buddha over the years?

3 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Dave, a lot of guys still send money. And I don't mean once. I mean monthly and usually/often for a year or more. It would surprise you. I met one guy distraught because he found some other guys on her facebook account. She was working in a massage parlor on Soi Buikow but promised him she did "only massage", no "special or extra". He believed her to the point this recent trip was to arrange marriage and for some reason, prepay the dowry(300,000. Baht). That damn facebook ruined it all mate. God Bless You and Him. OO

Before the likes of face book and Thai girls learning how to text and call, and my pre bar years. I do know that some of the girls in several bars i used on Soi Bukauw (only 'cos i lived on it) did have several boyfriends and have several separate accounts for each one.One girl i knew, had, like 6 ATM cards. But to be serious, the kind of guys that send money to these girls, must be very simple or completely stupid.How they juggled the visiting times, i dont know.

I'm quite happy for you and her even if you built that house in the village. There isn't any gambling in the villages either so all the best mate. Yes, I know 8000.Baht can exceed the wages of those harvesting rice and sugarcane. God Bless You and all in the villages. 

What's with the God Bless You?  Please refer to the Jim Jefferies take on religion on Youtube. You're one of the guys in the big carriage.

Dave, a lot of guys still send money. And I don't mean once. I mean monthly and usually/often for a year or more. It would surprise you. I met one guy distraught because he found some other guys on her facebook account. She was working in a massage parlor on Soi Buikow but promised him she did "only massage", no "special or extra". He believed her to the point this recent trip was to arrange marriage and for some reason, prepay the dowry(300,000. Baht). That damn facebook ruined it all mate. God Bless You and Him. OO

Confirmation bias

My views about running a small clothing business in Thailand are mixed. I live in Samut Prakarn and often go shopping at a local enclosed mall. I mostly go for the toy shop as my son loves the toys there and I speak some basic Thai so I can chat with the owner. He's very friendly and he runs the toy shop while his wife runs the clothing shop next door. I've been going there for three years so obviously the setup has worked for that couple long term. A few observations - I've been there during the day and it's dead - so obviously it's a job with quite long hours and a lot of downtime. The husband/wife situation works well as they can schedule breaks and one can look after both stalls while the other goes for lunch etc. 
I've asked him about the rent and to my mind it seems astronomical - he said his tiny shop is 18,000baht/month to rent, and this is Samut Prakarn, not even in Bangkok. I'd no idea how he sells enough toys to cover the rent and my Thai isn't good enough to ask directly, so on one occasion I asked my wife to strike up conversation and find out the details. According to her, the guy admitted that sometimes he doesn't cover the rent and has to use profits from his wife's stall to cover his rent. There are some real horror stories of shop owners falling behind and the mall owners just close up and confiscate all the stock as collateral, plus there are large deposits to pay. My overall view is that it can be done, but it's incredibly tough.  

5 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

A newbie? Ha! Ive been here 17 years mate, had 2 bars in Patts and now live in happy retirement that my businesses here helped pay for.

I am not sure that the stories about guys sending money here is so true anymore. I think that guys have got wise to that trick now,you seem to know a lot about it? do you send dosh here. I dont know much about on line girls or working students looking for sugar daddies,because i have no interest in it.And if they are getting 100,000 baht a month, i say good luck, cos it's pratts that are paying it.
But i did have to laugh when you called me a newbie.:cheesy::cheesy: You should read my post, because i dont think its a good idea either, and sorry, that's my opinion too.

I called you newbie as it said you joined TV in 2015 , I have been coming to Thailand several times a year for 17 years and lived here in retirement for the last 4. You say you owned 2 bars then you should be aware that a lot of farangs send money to their bar girl girlfriends.  I know that they do as I have brought over 12 guys at different times and although warning them about BG romances some don't listen You know that from reading all the reports on TV with guys whining about getting ripped off.  Had a guy who came back to USA ( about 6 years ago ) to have things shipped back over to Thailand telling me how great his BG was and that she didn't like younger guys ---he being 60 her 20. Got on to her FB page and showed him her with 2 different young guys kissing ect and walking around Walking Street , he cried like a baby and had just sent her 100,000 baht to help her and family with flooding damage. I informed him no flooding in that area. Plenty of other naive lonely men with money who will send baht to Thai GF's

11 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Can anyone give advice about this type of investment / small business?

Yes, don`t do it, for so many reasons that it would require it`s own forum to explain them all. Believe me, you`ll only lose big time out of this.

I would like to hear what Thais who have started small businesses like this have to say

why they worked and the problems they had to overcome

and why they failed and the reasons ,

This is not just because the GF starts with "Free capitol"  but also what it takes to make a go in a small business,

I know asking those questions is not as fun as bashing the guy for thinking about it ,  but maybe they will help open up our eyes to things we would never think about in the West.

2 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Bruce, you didnt quote all my post, so that was a bit naughty, and misleading.

There are over 10,000 bars in Pattaya . All run by someone or another. All mostly have girls working in the bars. This is a part of the game.You are using western,Some might say, Salvation Army rules,in a Sodom and Gomorrah world.It 's never gonna stop, so you can berate it all you like.It part of the furniture.And yes, i have been to Cebu city, many times and Angelese, but as a visitor, a tourist, if i got into checking out people trafficking, i would either get shot or involved in something i should not have. Tell me Bruce, are you someone who has found God, or Buddha over the years?

I didn't quote all of your post because I was only addressing one part. I did quote in context, at least meant do. Nothing misleading, sorry if you disagree. The foundation of the barfine is human trafficking. As I said, those who want to be in denial can go ahead and tell the judge and jury that nonsense. I won't be allowed to post the intricate details here but suffice to say when you pressure a lady to get her "buy her out" barfine paid it's a form of human trafficking. When you dock her earned wages it is another form of human trafficking. The courts, public opinion, and anyone with half a brain agrees with me so you position might be in need of review. I have found God and respect Buddhism as a faith. I don't know enough about Buddhism to have an intelligent discussion about it. God Bless you Dave. OO.

11 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

I would like to hear what Thais who have started small businesses like this have to say

why they worked and the problems they had to overcome

and why they failed and the reasons ,

This is not just because the GF starts with "Free capitol"  but also what it takes to make a go in a small business,

I know asking those questions is not as fun as bashing the guy for thinking about it ,  but maybe they will help open up our eyes to things we would never think about in the West.

Over the years where I live in Hang Dong, Chiang Mai, I have seen businesses such as coffee shops, cafes, noodle cafes, restaurants, clothing shops, fancy goods and hardware shops, mini marts, English language schools, motorbike and car repairers,  bakeries, massage parlours and more come and go. It usually takes 6 months before realising they are flogging a dead horse and sometimes the die hards manage to last a year.  Usually if someone does create a successful business, others will copy and follow suit, literally opening only metres away from the original business owner. Whereas what was once a stand alone successful business begins competing with many others all peddling the same things that destroys the trade for all of them by overkill.  In the OP`s case, he should consider that whatever type of business he sets up his GF in, if the relationship fails he can kiss his girlfriend and all he invested in her goodbye.

I didn't quote all of your post because I was only addressing one part. I did quote in context, at least meant do. Nothing misleading, sorry if you disagree. The foundation of the barfine is human trafficking. As I said, those who want to be in denial can go ahead and tell the judge and jury that nonsense. I won't be allowed to post the intricate details here but suffice to say when you pressure a lady to get her "buy her out" barfine paid it's a form of human trafficking. When you dock her earned wages it is another form of human trafficking. The courts, public opinion, and anyone with half a brain agrees with me so you position might be in need of review. I have found God and respect Buddhism as a faith. I don't know enough about Buddhism to have an intelligent discussion about it. God Bless you Dave. OO.

Love your description 'you pressure a lady'.
Sorry, I think your living in another place than me (Thailand). The way you talk, is if these girls are poor defenseless flowers or kids. I have found that your idea couldn't be more wrong (generally) and an insult to another poster (KK Dave) by accusing him of being an ex-people trafficker. Grown people have choices, get over it.
Cod be with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

I have found God and respect Buddhism as a faith. I don't know enough about Buddhism to have an intelligent discussion about it. God Bless you Dave. OO.

Ah, now I get it.

I don't feel I'm alone in thinking your posts are sanctimonious and patronizing.

Perhaps you are a nice guy, and a really interesting person.

4 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Ah, now I get it.

I don't feel I'm alone in thinking your posts are sanctimonious and patronizing.

Perhaps you are a nice guy, and a really interesting person.

Sorry, I don't engage in personal attacks and name calling. You can easily ignore anyone's posts you don't like, don't agree with, can't stand, or simply find boring. It's a free forum. God Bless You and OO.

13 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Bruce, you are so far way out of line with this trafficking thing. We/i never forced any girl to get herself bought out. Where do you get this crap from.?And Ive never heard of a bar owner facing a judge over here(they dont have juries by the way) after being arrested for charging a bar fine.How many times do i have to tell you. We/i never cut anybody's wages. You need to wake up in the real world. And also i have to inform you that out of the millions of guys that come to Patts, i would think it safe to say that about 00000.1 % would agree with you. People who 'find God' are always fanatics. In all honesty old chum, i think you would be better off living in Africa and preaching to the Boko Hareim.

Sorry, I don't engage in personal attacks and name calling. You can easily ignore anyone's posts you don't like, don't agree with, can't stand, or simply find boring. It's a free forum. God Bless You and OO.

Who is 'OO' ?

2 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Bruce, you are so far way out of line with this trafficking thing. We/i never forced any girl to get herself bought out. Where do you get this crap from.?And Ive never heard of a bar owner facing a judge over here(they dont have juries by the way) after being arrested for charging a bar fine.How many times do i have to tell you. We/i never cut anybody's wages. You need to wake up in the real world. And also i have to inform you that out of the millions of guys that come to Patts, i would think it safe to say that about 00000.1 % would agree with you. People who 'find God' are always fanatics. In all honesty old chum, i think you would be better off living in Africa and preaching to the Boko Hareim.

Hi. Your memory is either failing or you simply didn't see the news. I can provide proper details for you but as I repeat, this forum won't allow it. Our topic is opening a small business for your Thai girlfriend (vs just supporting her and her extended family and the village where she comes from if applicable). Your and the other poster's continued obsession to distract the members here from the basic facts about human trafficking and what is going on in some bars is tantamount to a childlike attempt at tainting the jury and judges. You will never sway public opinion. The facts remain quite clear, the law is clear, and it's all there for you mate if you just look. God Bless You and OO.

3 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Too many people are hiding behind their religion and see guys who bar fine girls as criminals. God shave you. 

Hi. Your memory is either failing or you simply didn't see the news. I can provide proper details for you but as I repeat, this forum won't allow it. Our topic is opening a small business for your Thai girlfriend (vs just supporting her and her extended family and the village where she comes from if applicable). Your and the other poster's continued obsession to distract the members here from the basic facts about human trafficking and what is going on in some bars is tantamount to a childlike attempt at tainting the jury and judges. You will never sway public opinion. The facts remain quite clear, the law is clear, and it's all there for you mate if you just look. God Bless You and OO.

I believe, here in Thailand, public opinion would not be the same as your opinion and I feel (& only feel) that your type of attitude is of a minority.

4 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Oh, I see. You don't engage in personal attacks and name-calling.

You imply Khon Kaen Dave is a people trafficker because he has run a couple of bars. You imply I'm a skinflint or cash-strapped because of what I give my Thai GF. I believe "pittance" was the word you used.

I'd recommend you read your Bible more carefully. I understand there's a couple of passages in it on the subject of hypocrisy.

7 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

You imply Khon Kaen Dave is a people trafficker because he has run a couple of bars. You imply I'm a skinflint or cash-strapped because of what I give my Thai GF. I believe "pittance" was the word you used.

I'd recommend you read your Bible more carefully. I understand there's a couple of passages in it on the subject of hypocrisy.

At last, a few guys with proper minds and reason. It's sad when religion turns people into Bible bashers and they get wound up in the over enthusiasm of blind faith. There is also the message " He that be without sin,let him cast the first stone" 

You can't come to Sodom and Gomorrah, and preach God to the masses.They don't care,nor are they interested.

Lassaiz  la bontemps rhuler.( Let the good times roll). My French is crap.

3 hours ago, bazza73 said:

No. Khon Kaen Dave openly posted his background included being a pimp and involvement in human trafficking with his mentioning barfines and tip garnishment. I didn't engage in anything other than pointing out what he/she had said on this forum. I said only giving a lady 8000. Baht a month was a pittance, didn't imply you were cash strapped or a skinflint or anything else for doing so. Just the facts as you and he/she had presented them for context and everyone to see and read. As for your referral to the Bible, we'll just have to let them decide about that at Heavens Gate. I'm finished with this as going to draw the eerie of moderators soon. Let's call it a night as Songkran tomorrow(in Pattaya) Good luck to the OP and his lady with their shop investment. Cheers Mate and OO.

My wife started a small clothing shop. I thought it was crazy idea that would make little to no money. She saved up most of the money I loaned her 40,000B and she bought a shop that someone already established. My first question was why is she selling, at this point didnt matter what i said. To my shock she was doing good. She nets about 30K a month (anywhere from 24-31). However she is a hard worker. She buys at bo bae and patunam.  I don't think it would work if she wasn't a hard worker. Actually after the first year she found a girl to buy her shop and she moved into a larger place. The girl that bought her place didnt last 6 months because she would open late 12 or so and close early 5-6. My wife opens her shop at 9am and stays open to 8-10pm depending on customers. Shes working almost every day, she pays a girl to work two days so she can buy stock and then unpack, iron and put on hangers ready for the shop. 

So if you want to invest in this you need to really look at your girlfriend and evaluate if she it really going to work everyday on a regular schedule. If she is lazy getting up late, not wanting to do things then it will never work.   I wish you luck!! I was against all the way but she proved me wrong. 

15 minutes ago, ericthai said:

My wife started a small clothing shop.,,,,,,,,,,, She nets about 30K a month (anywhere from 24-31).

Great ,  glad its working out for her

how many hours is the shop open a week ?   Sundays too ? 

and how many people are also buying at bo bae and patunam  ?

There are so many designs of clothes that I doubt they are competing item to item , it would just be interesting to know how much competition she has .

Cheers

17 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

Great ,  glad its working out for her

how many hours is the shop open a week ?   Sundays too ? 

and how many people are also buying at bo bae and patunam  ?

There are so many designs of clothes that I doubt they are competing item to item , it would just be interesting to know how much competition she has .

Cheers

Her shop is open 7 days a week. When I take her to BKK to buy stock she hires a girl to work for 2 days. We leave for BKK around 11pm and don't get back until the next day around 8pm. I take naps while she shops. When we get back then she needs to unpack everything, iron and put on hangers. If we decide to go somewhere she typically hires her cousin to work but the shop makes less when shes not there working. She is good with styles and helps women to choose things. Her shop is in a center with allot of other shops. That is what really put me against her buying the shop, but it worked. Thinking about it it does make sense all these clothes shops beside each other makes it easier for the buyer. Then it comes down to salesmanship. When she hears about a funeral she will load up her car and take clothes to that village. Her old stock she sells at a night market. If your GF buys at bo bae and putunam your girlfriend needs to tell them she owns a shop, and the more she buys the better the discount. My wifes usually buys 10-15 of the same thing in a few different sizes. If you want to know anything else let me know.  Good luck!

On 4/17/2017 at 10:59 PM, BruceMangosteen said:

you are seriously suggesting 'bar fines' are people trafficking?  really?  free-will bar fines??? 

On 4/17/2017 at 10:59 PM, BruceMangosteen said:

whoops repeat for some reason please feel free to delete dear mod

Edited by binjalin