LG BP6 OLED Mini Review

JayBird

Hello all!  I just picked up an LG BP6 OLED TV and wanted to give a quick mini-review.  This review is only regarding aspects of how it works in Thailand.  There are some good reviews out there on how the TV works in general (and outside of Thailand).

So, the key points are:

• Language can be fully changed to English - UK.  Easy to do through the General settings menu -> Language -> English.
    • This changes all menu items in LG and the various apps installed to English.  It's as if you have a 100% English TV
  • Netflix is fully installed
    • I have Netflix membership (HD, not 4K), and it works flawlessly.  I am NOT using VPN so am connected to the Thailand servers.  No buffering issues and quality is definitely HD.  No problems playing any of the videos presented.
  • Amazon is fully installed
    • I have an Amazon Prime membership.  It connects to the local Thailand servers.
    • *ONLY* Amazon Originals seem to play.  If choosing something that is not an Amazon Original I get presented with an option to buy the video.
    • I suspect this is a limitation of the app (even when filtered to show 'Included With Prime' content it does NOT filter out region locked programs, nor tell you it's region locked).
    • I suspect there is a very limited library available in Thailand.
    • I only have Amazon Prime to watch Grand Tour and YES it looks gorgeous in full 4K.
    • However I do get downscaling issues (it switches from 4K to HD and sometimes lower) -- I suspect my ISP (True DSL) may be to blame or Amazon.
  • YouTube is fully installed
    • 4K HD videos in You Tube play with no problems (and look gorgeous).
  • Al Jazeera TV App is available and plays LIVE TV
  • Asia TV App is available but does NOT play Live TV
  • Web Browser is included which is able to access web sites.  It looks like a pretty good and fast browser to various web sites.
  • Bloomberg is available through the website!
    • Yes, you can stream the Live TV from Bloomberg.com's website in *FULL* screen on the LG and it looks like you're watchin a normal TV channel.
    • Except it's full HD quality (or HD+?).  It's definitely a good solid stream.
  • Iflix does NOT have an app available *BUT* the website can be accessed through the web browser
    • It seems to work perfectly fine in web browser and can go full screen during playback.
    • I only tested 5 minutes but it worked great.
  • There are some other applications available through the store, but not that much (region restriction I suspect) and nothing that moved me.
  • CNBC does NOT have an App but I suspect it can be played through the website if you have CNBC Pro (given that Bloomberg and IFlix work through web browser).
  • CNN does NOT have an App and I have no idea how to get it on the tele (there is no pay-for-play option available in Thailand that I know of).

• TV has both WiFi and Ethernet.  Both connected fine through True Move WIFI box with 0 problems.  Both found the internet *very* quickly.
  • I get all my TV through the True Move box, so have not tested it through satellite cable so can not comment on its scanning capabilities.

After fiddling with the Apps and Web Browser I was able to configure the 'App Bar' with:

Netflix

Amazon

You Tube

Bloomberg (you can bookmark the web page directly to the app bar)

Iflix (bookmarked to the app bar)

And can now very quickly jump through any of those.  If I could get CNBC & CNN too I would be one happy camper :)

All in all I am quite pleased with the TV and how well it is working in Thailand (with regard to content accessibility).  I have not tried nor care for things like Kodi and IPTV and have no plans nor need to do so at this time.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all!  I just picked up an LG BP6 OLED
  • I get all my TV through the True Move box, so have not tested it through satellite cable so can not comment on its scanning capabilities.
  •  

Do you mean you haven't tried the built in Digital Terrestrial tuner/reciever via an antenna. (Digital signal is sometimes available via cable companies cable too.)

The tv doesn't have a built in satellite tuner/receiver or does it ?

Hello,

I meant I was using a TrueMove box (which did the 'scanning') and plugged in directly via HDMI into the TV.

NOW, however, I am using coax plugged into the back of the TV which receives both DIgital and Analog signals. 

The LG has perfect capability to scan (quickly) Digital & Analog channels and they showed up brilliantly without any problems.

Also some other interesting notes:

1) Amazon Prime App seems a bit.... wrong?  I think its connecting to the US servers (it shows me ALL content, rather than content that I can receive in Thailand).  Also, the UHD quality is iffy (maybe 10% of the time its UHD but it can't maintain that bandwidth for long and often drops to 1080/HD or less).

2) Netflix on the other hand, works BRILLIANTLY in UHD (just finished watching Sense8 in UHD and it was jaw dropping).

So I don't think the issue is my provider (3bb VDSL 50 down).   Given the huge discrepancy between Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Hello,

I meant I was using a TrueMove box (which did the 'scanning') and plugged in directly via HDMI into the TV.
    NOW, however, I am using coax plugged into the back of the TV which receives both DIgital and Analog signals. 

The LG has perfect capability to scan (quickly) Digital & Analog channels and they showed up brilliantly without any problems.

Also some other interesting notes:

1) Amazon Prime App seems a bit.... wrong?  I think its connecting to the US servers (it shows me ALL content, rather than content that I can receive in Thailand).  Also, the UHD quality is iffy (maybe 10% of the time its UHD but it can't maintain that bandwidth for long and often drops to 1080/HD or less).
    2) Netflix on the other hand, works BRILLIANTLY in UHD (just finished watching Sense8 in UHD and it was jaw dropping).

So I don't think the issue is my provider (3bb VDSL 50 down).   Given the huge discrepancy between Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I didn't think Amazon had Thai based servers.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer