Internet

burgerking

Hello,  

Need to connect the internet in a condo, central Pattaya near Big C area.

Who offers the best service between the providers in Pattaya?

Please give your positive and negative experiences.

Cheers 

If you need internet in a condo, you may not have much choice other than going with what service is already wired in.

I went to 3BB a few days ago and asked about fiber-optic service to a condo that I may want to rent. Answer: "Sorry, Condo, no can do"

Went across to True - they checked the map - "no can do"

CAT manager: "problem with condos and villages". I'm yet to find out if they can and can't find out until after Songkran.

TOT - yet to ask LOL. 

You'd have to wonder who they CAN service.

In the condo that I rent, in roughly the same area as the OP, I simply asked the Manager of the Condo what internet companies were permitted. I ended up with 3BB 50/20 package from the shop in Big C at a cost of just over 9k Baht (1 year in advance). They came along a few days later and called me to make sure they had the details correct. They then connected at streetlevel and rang again to confirm it was done. The next day I got the buildings technician to connect it in my front room....Done. Consistently strong signal and decent speeds.

Ask the front desk in your condo, They will tell you the permitted suppliers and also make sure you take the address of the condo with you as it makes the paper work easier. You will also need your passport as the make a copy of the photo page.

54 minutes ago, tolsti said:

In the condo that I rent, in roughly the same area as the OP, I simply asked the Manager of the Condo what internet companies were permitted. I ended up with 3BB 50/20 package from the shop in Big C at a cost of just over 9k Baht (1 year in advance). They came along a few days later and called me to make sure they had the details correct. They then connected at streetlevel and rang again to confirm it was done. The next day I got the buildings technician to connect it in my front room....Done. Consistently strong signal and decent speeds.

Reminds me of Jeff Goldblum's observation in Jurassic Park:

9 hours ago, tropo said:

If you need internet in a condo, you may not have much choice other than going with what service is already wired in.

I've had TOT and then switched to 3BB. No problem with condo management, but for fiber-optic I believe there are limits depending on what floor your on.

Wiring from the ground floor to your condo for whatever type of service you use would probably be your responsibility. When I started having more problems with service 3BB confirmed the problem was within the building not with their service up to the ground floor of the building. I had our condo maintenance man replace the wiring and things improved markedly. 

Had 3BB High speed FTTH installed 2 years ago in my condo 5th floor 100 meters from the street, 3BB wired it all the way to my room had to pay 1 year up front + installation 25k

now paying monthly.

Have had 2 call them 3 times in 2 years...great service 1200 baht per month 250mb down 55 up, over what I pay for....

36 minutes ago, thaicatbuyer said:

Had 3BB High speed FTTH installed 2 years ago in my condo 5th floor 100 meters from the street, 3BB wired it all the way to my room had to pay 1 year up front + installation 25k

now paying monthly.

Have had 2 call them 3 times in 2 years...great service 1200 baht per month 250mb down 55 up, over what I pay for....

I went into the 3BB office in Big C Extra, and as soon as I asked about FTTH I was told "condo: no can do". Where did you go, who did you ask?

The condo I'm interested in renting is probably 250m from available fiber-optic lines of any company.

The best internet in Pattaya is by far, SB Broadband (Used to be Sophon Cable, but company split I beleive).

They have Fibre or Coax. Serve most areas. Office is in South Pattaya Road about 50 Meters past 3rd road on your right, if you were heading towards the beach.

Any service using the phone lines always has problems because there are limits on the distance you can run ADSL over copper wires, and the connections get wet whenever there is a storm.

3 hours ago, thaicatbuyer said:

now paying monthly.

3 hours ago, tropo said:

I went into the 3BB office in Big C Extra, and as soon as I asked about FTTH I was told "condo: no can do". Where did you go, who did you ask?

The condo I'm interested in renting is probably 250m from available fiber-optic lines of any company.

Yeah, two 3BB offices told me the same, before I even mentioned where/which building:  "Condo cannot fibre."

@thaicatbuyer:  Without divulging your actual building, can you tell us which area your building is, and which 3BB office arranged the FTTH service?

I agree with the above comments, check with your condo office and ask what's available first.  Not all companies service everywhere.

Personally where I stay, TOT is the best.  Probably not the best of the best but the best where I stay.

Check, ask around.  The locals can be a wealth of information.

38 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Not all companies service everywhere.

LOL> more like all companies have very limited coverage area.

If you live on a main road, in a house or townhouse that's not in a village, close to the center of town, you can choose any provider. All others will take what they can get, if any.

I'm struggling to find any internet connection, only 600m from Walking Street.

Edited by tropo

Has internet been unreliable the last few days for anyone else? Mine was totally done yesterday (True cable landline). I had to buy and tether 1 day of AIS 4G. I'm guessing it's holiday consumption

1 hour ago, Hal65 said:

Has internet been unreliable the last few days for anyone else? Mine was totally done yesterday (True cable landline). I had to buy and tether 1 day of AIS 4G. I'm guessing it's holiday consumption

Business as usual with CAT fiber.