Streaming Video From A Server In The Us

pumper

I am a 'nervous nelly' .. getting prepared for an attempt at retiring in Thailand.

a couple of my favorite US 'basic cable' TV shows are available in full or as clips on streaming video.

example: I tivo Imus in the Morning on MSNBC daily .. Daily Show, Colbert .. et al.

Imus is on live at 6am New York = 3 AM west coast, not MY time zone for sure! so tivo to the rescue.

6am NY is afternoon in SE Asia so I guess I'll be awake for his shows.

am I putting to much thought / worry into the transpacific cable ..

regularly visited web sites from Internet Cafes in Bangkok are slower ..

the cafes have 5-10 people frantically typing & clicking at once & I assume this is an issue.

I've never been on a 'free standing high speed connection' in Thailand.

"I assume" there is software to record streaming video?

Streaming IMUS on MSNBC requires MS Passport, is this an issue?

or, I guess I could relax, go to the beach & forget about all that is home..

often as I follow current events, it occurs to me that if would be best for me to ignore it all!

when following current events I am often glad that I am old w/ 1 foot in the grave! :o

often as I follow current events, it occurs to me that if would be best for me to ignore it all!

when following current events I am often glad that I am old w/ 1 foot in the grave! :o

I think you've hit on the perfevt solution. I used to care about all that stuff once, but I discovered that all that stuff we're worried about this week, no one's talking about next week. I think it has to do with TV news cycles. I stopped being a junky for news and my life improved tremendously. I don't even watch TV at all anymore. Give it a try.

I think you've hit on the perfevt solution. I used to care about all that stuff once, but I discovered that all that stuff we're worried about this week, no one's talking about next week. I think it has to do with TV news cycles. I stopped being a junky for news and my life improved tremendously. I don't even watch TV at all anymore. Give it a try.

I agree. Used to read the newspaper religiously. Much more in-depth than the shallow TV news. But then I asked myself: When was the last time that you read something in the paper and acted on it? When did it make a difference in my life? Or even - improve my life. And I think I can honestly say: Never.

I still read news on the web but with the knowledge that it's just for my own amusement.

PS: WRT the original poster: Streaming video in Thailand is a sad affair. You don't want to do it, you don't want to depend on it. It may work on good days, and not on bad ones. Better to download whatever shows you are interested in either on piratebay or, increasingly, there's legal and convenient ways to do it for a few bucks, like iTunes. The point is - download, and watch later. That way you are not dependent on Thai internet speed which is simply not good because there is only 1 line that leaves the country. While they double capacity on that every year, internet traffic more than doubles - so it's not getting any better. It will probably be a few years before it improves.

Edited by nikster