What is a legal solution to partners' ownership?

Eiva

I live on "retirement visa" with my partner who has a "work permit visa". We bought together a few cars and motorcycles by 50/50 expenses. The vehicles are registered on partner's name but we use it together.  To prevent any possible troubles in the future, like partner's sudden trip abroad for a long time or his death, we want to secure the ownership. Our idea was to arrange a "general power of attorney", which includes the right to sell. We visited our provincial DLT, but failed to make the arrangement. Either our Thai mastering was not good enough to explain, or that kind of "power of attorney" does not exist in Thailand. 

The DLT officer offered to change name of the owner, but it is not a solution, because then in case of my sudden leave or death the partner will have the same problems, what I might have.  The situation became more complicated because some of the vehicles are registered in Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Phuket, but the owner's address is in the province. If I understood the officer correctly, the power of attorney to sell the car can be done only in the DLT where the car is registered. 

Does anybody on the forum know how to solve the problem?

A lawyer can set up a power of attorney, not sure why you would be approaching the DLT about setting up a POA. You would approach them after partners death with a POA in hand and change the owner. I presume the vehicles could also be willed to another person.

Not sure that a POA would work anyway as they are usually finished when the person you are acting for dies, then a will, inheritance etc takes over. Maybe its possible to have joint ownership.

A "Thai will" seems to be the right solution, but it wouldn't work in case of a sudden extended leave of my partner abroad. And I think that it is the most probable scenario.

What is your opinion about another solution? 

We, both together, are going to our provincial DLT to register "Nangsue maawp amnaat" The power of Attorney, downloaded from DLT site: 

https://www.dlt.go.th/th/download.php?ref=M2E0LJyirTkjoz13q29ZMT1sM2I0oTycrTMjpJ1Sq2IZoT1vM2S0qTysrPMjZT01qmuZZ21kM0I0MTycrS8oSo3Q

saying that "the car owner", my partner, has the will " mee kwamprasong" to sell his car at any reasonable amount to be executed by the appointed person ( myself). 

I would like like to note, that such practice is common and legal in my home country. 

If interesting I keep you posted about the outcome. 

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, Eiva said:

A "Thai will" seems to be the right solution, but it wouldn't work in case of a sudden extended leave of my partner abroad. And I think that it is the most probable scenario.

In that case get the vehicle transferred into your name before he goes on this sabbatical.

Archived