LCD tv

zlodnick

About 7 years ago, I bought my first flat screen tv.  After doing some research, I decided on a HD ready Samsung LCD tv.

Best tv I ever had. Still works great and I would like to buy another one, but looking around, I can't find an LCD in any brand, only LED.

So, I guess I have to buy an LED. I just want to watch television with my TRUE satalite dish. Not sure what to buy.  UHD, 4k ? I don't want smart tv or curved. Any suggestions?

You don't mention what size TV you want or your budget?

If you're planning on watching streaming or downloaded movies in 4K format I would say that you would need a 55" screen or larger to determine the difference between Full HD (1080p or 1920x1080) and 4K (4094x2160). 4K format would be wasted on a smaller screen.

You say you only want to watch TrueVision satellite TV which is currently SD (720x576) and HD (720p or 1280x720).

comparison-of-4k-resolutions.jpg

Pretty much every TV sold today is based on LCD (liquid crystal display) technology, whether manufacturers choose to call them LED TVs, SUHD TVs, Super UHD TVs or something even more futuristic-sounding like Quantum Dot LED TVs (QLED).

OLED (stands for organic light-emitting diode) is the latest technology. 

Here and here are some reviews that explain and compare the differences between LCD-LED and OLED technology.

Once you compare all the pros and cons for each type of TV technology and it comes down to value/price, you are most likely to choose LCD-LED as OLED TV's are in the premium range.

LED is just the backlight technology used to lit up the LCD screen.

Previously tubes were used (and still are in some LCD sceens).

LCD screens without backlight are useless. Hard to see anything.

As Jai Dee describes pretty much every flat screen TV nowadays is an LCD TV.

(seems plasma has disappeared)

Samsung did a marketing hit some years ago when they introduced the "LED TV" suggesting it is a completely different/new technology.

Other companies tried to sue them and forbid this kind of advertising to no avail.

A completely different and real new technology for TVs is "OLED".

Different story with pro's and con's.

22 hours ago, zlodnick said:

So, I guess I have to buy an LED. I just want to watch television with my TRUE satalite dish. Not sure what to buy.  UHD, 4k ?

I am not quite up-to-date about True on satellite.

But quite sure it is "Full HD" at best (1920*1080).

There would be no need for a "4k" although the price difference seems to shrink.

True TV is not very high quality so any set should work fine for your use (and as you say no interest in Smart functions should be cheap to buy).  As all seem to be made as cheaply as possible today there is likely not going to be much difference between the cheapest no name and higher priced branded set for your use.