Two passports

I'm currently here on a Retirement Visa, my third. I'm leaving the country for four months, returning three weeks before it expires but do not intend to renew this type of visa due to the 800k requirement.

I legally hold two UK passports. Could I return with a tourist or Non O (marriage) in my second passport? Would it confuse the immigration computers?

I plan on doing a few trips to neighbouring countries after my return, does a single entry make sense, renewing prior to return each time, or the multi?

Just tossing some ideas around in my head :smile:

Cheers.

LP

Option 1. Switch to tourism stay.

-- Leave Thailand without a re-entry permit.

-- Get a tourist visa and enter Thailand with it.

Option 2. Switch to marriage visa.

-- Get a re-entry permit before leaving Thailand.

-- Return to Thailand with the re-entry permit.

-- Promptly after your return, apply for your next one-year extension of stay, but this time indicate "live with Thai wife" as the reason for your extension. Make sure that your bank balance is below 800k, but above 400k, as otherwise the Immigration official may again stamp a retirement extension in your passport.

• Like 1

Assuming you don't have a visa but an extension of stay......

When you leave without a re-entry permit your extension of stay automatically ends.

You can apply for any new visa using either passports. It makes no difference.

If you are married you can easily get a multiple entry non-immigrant visa (best option) from the Thai Embassy in London, in person or by post. That will give you unlimited entries for 1 year.

You'll be given 90 days every time you enter, and any of those entries can be extended by 60 days, or by 1 year based on marriage or retirement if you meet the financial requirements.

• Like 1

If you are married to a Thai you could change the reason for your extension (it is not a visa) to one based upon marriage instead of retirement. You would only need 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or 40k baht income.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are married to a Thai you could change the reason for your extension (it is not a visa) to one based upon marriage instead of retirement. You would only need 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or 40k baht income.

Thanks Joe

If I use this option, I could actually come back to Thailand and then head up to Laos  to get the new Marriage extension, where I wouldn't need to show proof of 400k+, correct? :smile:

13 minutes ago, lowprofile said:

Thanks Joe

If I use this option, I could actually come back to Thailand and then head up to Laos  to get the new Marriage extension, where I wouldn't need to show proof of 400k+, correct? :smile:

You could get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at the consulate in Savannakhet with no financial proof. It would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue. You have to leave the country every 90 days to get a new entry.

Extensions are only done at an immigration office.

Hi Joe,

instead of coming back into Thailand on my Retirement visa and going up to Laos to renew as a Marriage visa, do you know if it is possible to do the renewal (to Marriage) whilst I am in The UK, at the Thai Embassy there? Do you know if they require any different docs from Laos renewal (and proof of funds in Thailand - I can do proof of funds in The UK more easily).

Cheers.

Peter

5 minutes ago, lowprofile said:

Hi Joe,

instead of coming back into Thailand on my Retirement visa and going up to Laos to renew as a Marriage visa, do you know if it is possible to do the renewal (to Marriage) whilst I am in The UK, at the Thai Embassy there? Do you know if they require any different docs from Laos renewal (and proof of funds in Thailand - I can do proof of funds in The UK more easily).

Cheers.

Peter

You will have nothing to renew while in the UK.

You can apply for a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at the Thai embassy in London. You can apply in person or by post.