So called Irish Pubs in CM

sharktooth

I can only think of two ‘so called’ Irish Pubs in CM.

The name UN Irish should give the hint that the UN Irish pub has no connection with Ireland. If you go there you will be able to read why the name.

As for O’Malleys. It has no Irish Connection apart from the name. The Manager is Canadian!

Why should a 'so called' Irish Pub show a purely Scottish Game?

May I assume that you are a Celtic supporter given the Irish Question/Connection.

I am afraid that Scottish Football, even with the ‘Old Firm’ involved is not going to get much coverage on mainstream TV/Cable in CM.

Suggest a Google search just before Kick-Off for an Internet stream.

PS;  Come on the Gers!

PPS;  If you do find a venue, please PM me and we can watch together.

:partytime2::passifier:

The UN Irish showed last years semi final between Rangers and Celtic. One of the managers there told me the atmosphere that day was so hostile and acrimonious that they wouldn't be showing the fixture again. KT's sports bar on Ratchamanka Rd should have it on.

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

I can only think of two ‘so called’ Irish Pubs in CM.

The name UN Irish should give the hint that the UN Irish pub has no connection with Ireland. If you go there you will be able to read why the name.

As for O’Malleys. It has no Irish Connection apart from the name. The Manager is Canadian!

Why should a 'so called' Irish Pub show a purely Scottish Game?

May I assume that you are a Celtic supporter given the Irish Question/Connection.

I am afraid that Scottish Football, even with the ‘Old Firm’ involved is not going to get much coverage on mainstream TV/Cable in CM.

Suggest a Google search just before Kick-Off for an Internet stream.

PS;  Come on the Gers!

PPS;  If you do find a venue, please PM me and we can watch together.

:partytime2::passifier:

"If you know the history...."

Possibly the only two two "Irish" bars on the planet not showing the game. Would gladly watch in a Scottish pub, but .... errrrm...

Crap feed at home watching the hibs v sheepshaggers. Can't be doing with this tomorrow.

sorted now with a bar in loi kroh.

hail hail

If you ever go there, original poster, the management ( Greg) and owner ( Sandy) go out of their way to dispel the "Irish" myth. Those of us who drink in there, and the staff have been calling it "The unirish pub" ( Not as in "U.N." as it once was) but unirish, as in not irish.  The history of the pub and its original irish owner is on the wall, worth a read, and now a product of history from 20 years ago.

O Malleys never was, never is, and never will be an Irish Pub. Its one of those pubs of which sadly there are thousands around the world, where you get an old bike, an old sewing machine, and a couple of Dublin posters, stick them on the wall and call yourself Irish! O Malleys is there pure and simple for the gullible tourists who are happy to overpay for crap beer and average food!

The "unirish" is by far and away the best place in Chiang Mai if you want to watch Rugby, Cricket, Football, Golf,.....plus a whole load of American sports that some seem to get excited by but leave me cold as I m from UK!

1 hour ago, EL159 said:

O Malleys never was, never is, and never will be an Irish Pub. Its one of those pubs of which sadly there are thousands around the world, where you get an old bike, an old sewing machine, and a couple of Dublin posters, stick them on the wall and call yourself Irish! O Malleys is there pure and simple for the gullible tourists who are happy to overpay for crap beer and average food!

Steady on tiger! Jeez who made you the arbiter of all "Irish" pubs, surely it's all subjective?  Notwithstanding that this type of negative comment is completely uncalled for and in my opinion, inherently wrong, if your over-the-top comments criticised a Thai institution in the same way, perhaps the Mod's might not have been so lenient

O' Malleys Irish Pub is as "Irish" and is (in my opinion) as good, as many of the other pubs (whther they call themselves Irish or not) in and around Chiang Mai. The owner "Scott" is indeed a Canadian guy who runs his pub to the satisfaction of his customers ,whether or not they are  "gullible tourists" as you put it, or the regulars who go there for a decent drink and some nice food.

Additionally and at great personal expense, Scott puts on O’Malley’s annual open golf tournament which has been a huge fundraiser for the “Operation Blessing Foundation”, helping  very poor children and their families in times of need.Not something I see happening too much in any of the other pubs in and around Chiang Mai.

As I said, whether or not you do or don't like O'Malleys, it might help for you to be a little more circumspect in your criticism.

Regards,

Joe

5 hours ago, MickeyMaow said:

The Unirish pub will most definitely be showing the old firm. I don't believe that Jack an Nory about The hostile and acrimonious that they wouldn't be showing the fixture again.

Basketball, Hockey and Dutch football. Appear completely unaware of the Old Firm.

IMG_1800.PNG

Joe,  Dont get all sensitive now, clearly youre a regular, as I am at the "unirish", and I m not commenting on the "good charity work" done by Scott, who I know quite well but still dont rate the pub. I wasnt entirely being too serious here, but wherever I ve travelled on business around the World, be it Africa, Asia or wherever, you always find these generic "Irish Pubs" which in fact simply dip into the "Irish Brand" thats been fashionable now for 25 years.....me and my travelling/ business partner always used to joke that somewhere in the World, there must be a giant Irish product warehouse, who you call up to get your old bikes, sewing machines, Dublin posters and the like!

"Irishness" is now a brand that gets trotted out in March every year, "Paddys Day"......go along to any number of so called Irish Pubs around the World, and ask what it is thats being celebrated, and 75% will have not the first idea!

Suppose I was spoiled by my very regular trips to Dublin, Galway & Cork back in the day, and by famous pubs in Digbeth, Birmingham, like The Spotted Dog, Clearys, The White Swan, The Dubliner, etc etc......all real Irish pubs run by real Irish people, be they first second or third generation. Often, it was like "Peaky Blinders" in real life, haha !!! 

18 hours ago, soblue2001 said:

The UN Irish showed last years semi final between Rangers and Celtic. One of the managers there told me the atmosphere that day was so hostile and acrimonious that they wouldn't be showing the fixture again.

Well, it's not a tickling contest for old ladies. If one likes ones prawn sandwich with their lobster bisque, go watch a Manu game.