Made to measure fitted bed sheets?

mls

Am wondering if anyone knows if there is someone in Pattaya who can make up cotton fitted bed sheets to order.

I imported my bed when I moved here and it is has two 2ft 6in (75cm) x 6ft 6in (200cm) mattresses. One mattress is motorised, hence the need for separate sheets.

As all sheets sold her are US sizes the only way I can get sheets to fit (just about) is to order them from the UK from La Redoute but they are not an exact fit either.

Would be a lot simpler if I could get them made here.

Am sure I saw an advert once for someone who did this but I didn't keep any reference to it.

Hope someone out there can help.

Thanks.

This is a very simple job. Any seamstress should be able to do it for you and anywhere that sells the material would probably have someone on call. If all else fails, ask a curtain shop. The cost for the work should be minimal or zero as it will take only minutes.

Personally I get all my linen in Europe as the quality is vastly better and the prices vastly lower.

I thought sheets here were of the non-US size.  I brought queen-size sheets from the US -- 60in x 80in -- before I realized the 5-foot mattresses here are shorter (60in by 78in?), and the sheets were all loose length-wise.  Sheets bought here locally all seem to fit properly length-wise.

5 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I thought sheets here were of the non-US size.  I brought queen-size sheets from the US -- 60in x 80in -- before I realized the 5-foot mattresses here are shorter (60in by 78in?), and the sheets were all loose length-wise.  Sheets bought here locally all seem to fit properly length-wise.

The size had changed in the UK apparently. When I bought my place there 30 years ago I also bought a queen size bed. Got the bed linen from M&S. Five years ago I decided I needed new bed linen, so I went to M&S and bought (at vast expense nowadays) a new set for a queen size bed. Length-wise it fits fine, but width-wise the new sheet's too long and it's loose and keeps riding up while I'm sleeping. Very annoying given the cost of the stuff.

7 hours ago, Guderian said:

The size had changed in the UK apparently. When I bought my place there 30 years ago I also bought a queen size bed. Got the bed linen from M&S. Five years ago I decided I needed new bed linen, so I went to M&S and bought (at vast expense nowadays) a new set for a queen size bed. Length-wise it fits fine, but width-wise the new sheet's too long and it's loose and keeps riding up while I'm sleeping. Very annoying given the cost of the stuff.

Get some elastic stitched to the back,should cure it :thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Glad you said that :thumbsup:

I was going to by a load,   in a few weeks time ,  when I am there.

9 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Near the back entrance of TukCom on one of the corners, you will find a quite big store with all kinds of hotel linen.

AFAIK they also produce to order. 

Thanks for that info will check it out. If it's for the hotel trade I expect they only make white sheets and I prefer deep dyed colour. Worth a look though.

UK mattresses are usually 6ft 3in long not 6ft 6in - Single, Double, Queen, King and Super King seem to be different in different countries so always need to check sizes not just names. The single 2ft 6in sheets I can buy in the UK are slightly wider and shorter than my mattresses and are also narrow on the depth as made for 5in deep mattresses not 6in.

Depends a lot on where the bed comes from as European sizes are different again.

It's a real pain all round trying to get things to fit...

11 hours ago, KittenKong said:

This is a very simple job. Any seamstress should be able to do it for you and anywhere that sells the material would probably have someone on call. If all else fails, ask a curtain shop. The cost for the work should be minimal or zero as it will take only minutes.

Personally I get all my linen in Europe as the quality is vastly better and the prices vastly lower.

Have thought of getting a curtain shop to make them but the biggest problem is knowing where to buy the material as have never seen cotton bedding fabric available anywhere.

6 hours ago, petermik said:

Get some elastic stitched to the back,should cure it :thumbsup:

It is a fitted sheet so it's elasticated at all four corners. It doesn't help much, though, when the sheet's about 6'' wider than the mattress.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

It is a fitted sheet so it's elasticated at all four corners. It doesn't help much, though, when the sheet's about 6'' wider than the mattress.

Depending on the pattern, a good seamstress could cut a 5" wide strip out of the fabric, leaving 1" for a seam (or some such calculation, like 5.5" and .5") with a smooth, barely detectable seam.  Some of the cheaper sheets I have bought at Tesco already do have seams in them.  If you use a top sheet and/or comforter, the seam would not even be visible.

13 hours ago, mls said:

Have thought of getting a curtain shop to make them but the biggest problem is knowing where to buy the material as have never seen cotton bedding fabric available anywhere.

I expect that the curtain shops would know where to get the material.

11 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Depending on the pattern, a good seamstress could cut a 5" wide strip out of the fabric, leaving 1" for a seam (or some such calculation, like 5.5" and .5") with a smooth, barely detectable seam.  Some of the cheaper sheets I have bought at Tesco already do have seams in them.  If you use a top sheet and/or comforter, the seam would not even be visible.

Not visible, maybe, but I would hate to sleep on a sheet with a seam up the middle.

15 hours ago, mls said:

Thanks for that info will check it out. If it's for the hotel trade I expect they only make white sheets and I prefer deep dyed colour. Worth a look though.

Well, looking at the number of stored fabrics it's basically up to the customer by picking the right fabric and color. 

When you go down there, please take the size of the thickness of the matress as well. 

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Not visible, maybe, but I would hate to sleep on a sheet with a seam up the middle.

I've slept on those cheap Tesco sheets with a seam, and didn't feel it.  The low thread count I did feel, but not the seam.

7 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Well, looking at the number of stored fabrics it's basically up to the customer by picking the right fabric and color. 

When you go down there, please take the size of the thickness of the matress as well. 

Thanks for the information. Will go down and have a look.

UK Bed sizes below, note that the super king is also known as queen size in the UK, whereas the queen size in Thailand equates to UK king size, I've fallen foul of this myself and ended up with sheets that don't fit.

UK standard mattress sizes
  • Cot: 1'8" x 3'9" (60cm x 120cm)
  • Single: 3' x 6'3" (90cm x 190cm)
  • Small double: 3'11" x 6'3" (120cm x 190cm)
  • Double: 4'6" x 6'3" (135cm x 190cm)
  • King: 5' x 6'6" (150cm x 200cm)
  • Super king: 6' x 6'6" (180cm x 200cm)