Nintendo Switch, should I get it for my kids?

canuckamuck

I am considering a gaming console. I have always liked Nintendo's family friendly games, as well as being quite nostalgic for Nintendo for when they first came out with a home system.

I haven't owned a game system since  Super Nintendo, but I have tried to follow along with the tech.

I would love to know if the "Switch" is going to be a good purchase, something my kids will get 2 or 3 years out of. If not the Switch, what would be the best choice?

My kids are between 3 and 13, plus there's often half  a dozen  others when schools out.

For the 3 year old I am not sure. For the 13th year old If he is a boy I would say probably not he might like it but then he will probably want a xbox one or ps4 or even a pc next year. If he is like most 14 years old. I think girls don't play as many games on consoles as boys but I could be wrong. It's hard to say at the moment how good the switch is going to be because it's early days and we have to wait and see if the game Developers take on the new hardware. You might find that your children won't be able to play most of the new releases what wont be available on the switch, the same as most Nintendo consoles. But saying that some people absolutely love Nintendo games and consoles. It's not unusual for a lot of people to have a Nintendo console and a ps4/xbox. The Nintendo comes out when your friends come round for a visit.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I would say maybe the switch because Nintendo Conoles are probably better for group play. Also xbox and ps4 are really mostly one for one player games or online. But it's earlier days for the Switch it might end up being shit.

I'm going to the US in July and have to bring one back for my boy...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

This is a good shop they have them all over Bangkok

Is the switch region free?

You might want to a bit of research first to see what games you can get here and if they are region locked. Also look into the online features including Dlc. Some things are not compatible between regons on the ps4 and the switch could be the same. Alos the guarantee Might cause a problem if it breaks. make sure you check all that even if you buy in Thailand.
http://www.nadzproject.com/

I switch (hoho) regularly from being a casual gamer to a serious gamer, for around the last 20 years.   I would say no, buy a ps4 and age appropriate games.  

Nintendo used to be great, I still have two nes consoles and a snes back home, but alas, they never neither been innovate nor reliable of late.  I mean it's not much money, buy one if you want, but your kids (and you) will get far more enjoyment out of a playstation.  

Edit - forgot to add...if you want to go down the nostalgia gaming route, buy an android/kodi box and hook it up to your tv and download the emulator of your choice..

Edited by akirasan

not enough games for the switch at the moment. perhaps you can get a cheap Wii while waiting for more games. the console is still teething. it would be good to wait for an improved version as well as 3rd party accessories to offset some of the switch's design flaws (dock that can scratch the screen, can't charge while using the kickstand, etc).

not enough games for the switch at the moment. perhaps you can get a cheap Wii while waiting for more games. the console is still teething. it would be good to wait for an improved version as well as 3rd party accessories to offset some of the switch's design flaws (dock that can scratch the screen, can't charge while using the kickstand, etc).

Or if you have a half decent pc just download the Dolphine emulator. It actually plays the games better then the console it's self.Mario galaxies looks superb in 1080p and 60fps and you can even play the games in 4k. you should buy Wii remote and nun chuck and also a special light bar to get the best experience.But most games are still playable with out and is better then the console it's self.

If he likes the Nintendo first-party games, then, yes, get it - but he's going to need to have decent English to deal with BotW, which is a fab game.

If he isn't interested in the Nintendo first-party games, then, no, don't get it.

The region-locking speculation can be checked via the search engine of one's choice.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2017 at 4:03 PM, Magy Lin said:

I've heard a lot about Nintendo. I created a new user on my computer for my baby. Now when she wants to play at the computer, she only has it's important for me as a father that there is nothing terrible in them. Interesting children's games

what are yoi talking about? Is this another spam post with a link to some site again?

• 3 months later...