Maximizing O-A visa: 3 questions

Hi all,

The CAD/THB is almost at its lowest in the last 10 years and I want to maximize the validity of my visa to hopefully get a better opportunity before seasoning the dough.

As I am still on the 1st year (O-A visa expires 17 Oct 2017) I plan to re-enter Thailand on Oct the 15th.

1. In theory no re-entry permit would be required but do I risk some interpretation by the Imm officer seeing this as a trick to avoid buying a new O-A visa, a re-entry permit or anything that comes to his/her mind and denies me entry next Fall ?
  2. With a new stamp on 15 Oct 2017 I just have to keep going with my 90 day reports, no need for border runs ?
  3. Based on that scenario, by what time will I have to get the 800k THB in my Thai bank (seasoning time included) before applying for my 1st extension of stay ?

Sorry if that was asked before but a search through some 1200 forum pages returned 0 answer...

13 minutes ago, BritTim said:
  1. Your concerns on this are groundless. You are using the visa in an entirely appropriate manner.
  2. Correct.
  3. You will be applying for the extension in early October 2018. As this will be your first extension, the money will need to have been in the Thai bank account for two months (since early August 2018).

You made my day sir! Thank you very much, I almost had my hand on the wallet, ready to buy re-entry permit whilst 90 day reporting tomorrow morn at Chonburi.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Previous post says it all.

Two mates and I myself have done this procedure in 2010/2011.

Usual advice as always:

make sure that you correctly fill the departure card with the visa number before going to the checkpoint.

Point to the visa page.

Check the stamp (1 year?) immediately after the checkpoint and complain to a superior if anything wrong.

I will make sure to double check your precious advice upon departure. Thanks for stressing those points.

3 minutes ago, GMajor said:

advice upon departure

Don't be fooled. "Departure card" is filled before ENTERING the country.

Your current departure card is handed over when departing.

Nothing specific to check on departure (just the DEPARTED  stamp).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Don't be fooled. "Departure card" is filled before ENTERING the country.

Your current departure card is handed over when departing.

Nothing specific to check on departure (just the DEPARTED  stamp).

Yes indeed, I should have known better. Thanks for your reminder.  :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, GMajor said:

You made my day sir! Thank you very much, I almost had my hand on the wallet, ready to buy re-entry permit whilst 90 day reporting tomorrow morn at Chonburi.

If you are simply leaving before the end of your 1st year and returning directly there is o need for money in the bank...  if you want an extension at the end of the 2nd year you need proof of 60k income per month.. 40k if you are married or the 800k in a bank here..  if you renew your visa in Canada no need for money in Thailand...  I have been doing this for years without a  problem..  I renew mine in Australia...  if your OA is multi entry you are covered for your border run.. if not you may need to buy one ..1,000 Bt (I think).. if your OA is multi entry you loose your entries for 2nd year.. but.. again you can buy one if you need to.. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TerryLH said:

"...you need proof of 60k income..."

It's 65,000 per month. 

...I was told 60 at Sakon Nakon immigration 3 weeks ago... 40k if you are married...  i suggest checking with your local immigration center...  

10 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

...I was told 60 at Sakon Nakon immigration 3 weeks ago... 40k if you are married...  i suggest checking with your local immigration center...  

You were told wrong. It is 65k baht for an extension based upon retirement.

From clause 2.22 of the police order for extensions

2.22 In the case of retirement

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

And of course, if you wish to leave the country and re-enter after your initial year is finished while keeping your remaining year on your o-a multi entry visa valid, you will need to purchase a re-entry permit.

Thank you all for the heads up.

Edited by GMajor
typo

19 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Retirement 800,000 in a Thai bank (2 months for first application, 3 months thereafter) or a monthly income of 65,000, OR a combination of the two.

Marriage 400,000 in a Thai bank (2 months) or a monthly income of 40,000. No combination method allowed.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Retirement 800,000 in a Thai bank (2 months for first application, 3 months thereafter) or a monthly income of 65,000, OR a combination of the two.

Marriage 400,000 in a Thai bank (2 months) or a monthly income of 40,000. No combination method allowed.

....that sounds right.. but but the Sakon Nakon immigration quoted 60k... and no combination... my pension falls just short of 60k with low exchange rate at the moment.. he said I would need 800k ... no combination.. unfortunately Sakon Nakon is my appointed immigration office..    thanks for the reply.. 

3 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

....that sounds right.. but but the Sakon Nakon immigration quoted 60k... and no combination... my pension falls just short of 60k with low exchange rate at the moment.. he said I would need 800k ... no combination.. unfortunately Sakon Nakon is my appointed immigration office..    thanks for the reply.. 

2.22 In the case of retirement:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.
The alien: (1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or

(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date: or

(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totalling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

Police Orders 327-2557(2014)-extensioncriteriaconditionsen.pdf

The IO is wrong, you should take a copy of the Police Orders or ask to speak to his supervisor.

I had a similar experience with my first extension. IO insisted it was 3 months seasoning.

After speaking to his supervisor he was advised of his error and processed my application.

I think it's all been said, but more for my own clarification than maybe anyone else's; the initial OA has an 'M' printed on it, so in theory multiple entry for 12 months and no re-entry permit required BUT at the first re-entry (whether you left and re-entered the Kingdom after a week of arrival, or on the 364th day) the next immigration entry stamp gives one year (i.e. the start of your second year?) from that re-entry date, so my take is you can only run the OA back to back for two years solid if (a) you don't leave the country at all or (b) you leave right at the end of the first year AND re-enter just before that year expires.  If I've got this wrong please let me know, as it's important for all to clearly understand the 'what if' deviations from the rules as much as the rules themselves.

• Like 1

Each entry is valid for 1 year until the 'enter before' date of the Visa.

You can exit/re-enter as many times as you like before that date and be given another year.

Exiting and re-entering just before the 'enter before' date allows another 1 year stay, (2nd year) but the Visa and it's multi entry privilege also end on that date.

If you want to exit/re-enter during this last 1 year period of stay you must purchase a re-entry permit to keep the permission to stay alive.

so my take is you can only run the OA back to back for two years solid if (a) you don't leave the country at all

You must leave the Country just before the 'enter before' date to get another 1 year.

If you didn't, you would be overstay.

Edited by dentonian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dentonian said:

2.22 In the case of retirement:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.
The alien: (1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or

(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date: or

(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totalling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

Police Orders 327-2557(2014)-extensioncriteriaconditionsen.pdf

The IO is wrong, you should take a copy of the Police Orders or ask to speak to his supervisor.

I had a similar experience with my first extension. IO insisted it was 3 months seasoning.

After speaking to his supervisor he was advised of his error and processed my application.

Thank you...