Building a lap pool.

sipi

Has anyone built a cheap lap pool?

I am guessing above ground is best maybe 1.2m deep, 8 metres long and a couple of metres wide.

My thoughts are using those cheap Thai building blocks might work , without going into a bunch of equations about pressure and stuff.

Or a preconstructed pool might work best.

'cheap Thai building blocks might work , without going into a bunch of equations about pressure and stuff ??? You're kidding right? 

In ground, the walls are supported by the surrounding soil. Above ground, by the surrounding air....

Ok. So now we need to talk experience. 

I have seen one shallow pool made from cheap Thai bricks, and one other preconstructed.

So 10 metres of head pressure is one atmosphere. 15 psi or 100 kPa roughly. So one metre is 1.5psi or 10 kPa I assume. Not a lot of pressure.

I would have thought that reinforced and filled hollow bricks would suffice.

But obviously I could also be wrong.

1 hour ago, sipi said:

Ok. So now we need to talk experience. 

I have seen one shallow pool made from cheap Thai bricks, and one other preconstructed.

So 10 metres of head pressure is one atmosphere. 15 psi or 100 kPa roughly. So one metre is 1.5psi or 10 kPa I assume. Not a lot of pressure.

I would have thought that reinforced and filled hollow bricks would suffice.

But obviously I could also be wrong.

So you think 40.0000 liter of water doesn't apply much outwards pressure.

7 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

So you can buy an 8m long x 2m  pool and simply drop it in a hole?

I am all ears, as I am sure all other ex building pros are at the moment

Yes you can buy a Fiberglass Pool and just drop in the ground....It's in within 5 days and thats from start to finish...and you can start swimming...

They are cheaper, easier' and you dont have input from Thais who really dont know what they are doing anyway...

PM me if you want the telephone number of an Australian bloke who does it, here in Thailand...

5 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

So you think 40.0000 liter of water doesn't apply much outwards pressure.

Wouldn't matter if it was 400000000000000000000 litres.

Same pressure at 1.2 metres head. 

Hey Sipi...6 x 2.5 Fibreglass lap pool....1.4 deep all the way.....fully installed under 250k baht. There are a few different sizes to choose from...moulded steps, pump, filter, piping, Vacuum, etc etc....jobs done.. only way to go.

4 minutes ago, weegee said:

Hey Sipi...6 x 2.5 Fibreglass lap pool....1.4 deep all the way.....fully installed under 250k baht. There are a few different sizes to choose from...moulded steps, pump, filter, piping, Vacuum, etc etc....jobs done.. only way to go.

Above ground or below Weegee?

Sounds interesting. 

1 minute ago, weegee said:

Below ground...they dig the hole as well. BUT you can install them half in and half out if thats what you want....

I like the half in option.

Sold to the man in the red shirt.

Yes you can buy a Fiberglass Pool and just drop in the ground....It's in within 5 days and thats from start to finish...and you can start swimming...
They are cheaper, easier' and you dont have input from Thais who really dont know what they are doing anyway...
PM me if you want the telephone number of an Australian bloke who does it, here in Thailand...

I wouldn't trust an Australian bloke who 'does it here in Thailand'. Is '"it" a male or female?'

Sent from my SM-J700F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A fiberglass pool is a good option, IF, you go and check out the construction company. I had one in Darwin and the gelcoat had bubbles, but it is still there 35 years later, also had one in Coffs Harbour...but again up to the construction and install company. 2 poor choices...maybe?
Pool companies, please don't come back with all the guarantees etc...doesn't wash, BUT; a few satisfied customers and their phone numbers does.

Kudos to you for making your own lap pool... just a question ...the length is 10 meter?

That is a lot of turns for a 100-meter swim.......   What made you decide on the short length?  Space?

Anyway look forward to seeing the final project.

i have the 10ft one above, lasted 5 yrs but plenty of little holes in it now.

the vinyl is starting to crack in places and it really neds replacing, just 1 more year and i might get the 12ft..

maybe

also price is variable depending on seasonal sales.

the pump/filter it comes with is garbage

Ok. So now we are down to..

Inflatable..Great idea but won't last decades.

In ground fibreglass. Expensive but long lasting.

For me, the inflatable option wins so far.

Or above ground made from Thai bricks. Doesn't cost much to lay a slab. Reinforced walls, a few hundred bricks at a few baht a brick. Say 4 bricks high by 40 bricks long by a dozen wide. Well under a thousand. Reo and mortar is cheap.

Need to do the math.

Inflatable is convenient.  Might even do an inflatable house extension. 

1 hour ago, weegee said:

Well if this is correct i would certainly be doing it this way but dont forget about the finishings top side 

I made a 3x3 wading pool but that was with "A" class finishing, above ground from re enforced concrete maybe 200,000 pending finishes which would work out cheaper

2 hours ago, carlyai said:

A fiberglass pool is a good option, IF, you go and check out the construction company. I had one in Darwin and the gelcoat had bubbles, but it is still there 35 years later, also had one in Coffs Harbour...but again up to the construction and install company. 2 poor choices...maybe?
Pool companies, please don't come back with all the guarantees etc...doesn't wash, BUT; a few satisfied customers and their phone numbers does.

Different Resins these days for Pool Building....a lot better than the Fiberglass Pools of the old days....

Polyester Resins and so on, are the go now , and I am a few years behind this, so there is probably a better one than that by now....

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Get in touch with the electrics forum moderator, Crossy. Seems he is happy with the above ground pool he installed.

We are indeed, but it's not used as a lap pool being only 4.8m diameter.

This is our pool

13315620_1768799123336403_1972158074630771753_n.jpg

13331136_1768799110003071_8511826341212167518_n.jpg

Get in touch with Dario at Pattayapools(dot)net they carry a large range of Intex above ground pools including this 9.75 x 4.8 x 1.2m monster complete with saltwater chlorinator for about 170k Baht (image is from their website). Just add 54,000 litres of water.

54490s.jpg

Quick to assemble, no holes just ground prep (levelling and a sand base if you wish). Our baby one was delivered Friday and being swum in by the kids on Sunday.

Archived