Paradise lost – Hua Hin peace shattered by “Party Houses”

snoop1130

Paradise lost – Hua Hin peace shattered by “Party Houses”

0.jpg

A Google Street View image of the Pala U Road, close to the Sunshine Mountain 1 estate

Residents in Hua Hin are facing shattered lives as “Party Houses” are springing up all over town.

Rather than going for long term rental contracts people with property to spare are opting for renting their houses out for wild parties on a nightly basis.

They have found they can make much more money by letting partygoers take over their property for a wild night often including noisy karaoke and pool well into the morning.

Some people have been forced to leave their own homes and sleep elsewhere.

While yet more others who want to sell up and move away are unable to do so as buyers get wind of the problem, often in classy residential estates.

There are also claims that the parties feature more than booze – one Australian man spoke of one house being used for illegal drugs.

Requests for action to the police and local council have achieved nothing and now residents at their wits end have turned to Thaivisa to publicize the issue before things potentially turn violent.

One man affected is British retiree Paul Fearnley, 57 who moved to Thailand with his wife Stella, 66, three and a half years ago. They previously lived in Lincolnshire.

He was expecting a quiet idyllic lifestyle in Thailand but instead it has turned into a daily nightmare of noise and ever increasing problems and frustrations.

He said that there are two houses in the “Sunshine Mountain 1” housing estate that are being rented out as party houses after the owners realized they could make a killing.

One is owned by a Thai couple and the other Australian/Thai.

“Both properties have moved in karaoke machines,” he said, “and one even has a pool table. That has made the screaming from that place even worse for some reason”.

He said that the problem has been going on for a long time but has been even worse recently with the Songkran holidays meaning parties every night – and no sleep for any of the neighbors.

“We have friends who just go and stay elsewhere during the parties – they can’t sleep.

“And it is not just in our housing estate,” he claimed. “This is happening all over Hua Hin. Just down the road from us in another new estate they have it even worse than we do”.

Police have been called on numerous occasions but while that means the noise goes down temporarily it is soon cranked up again when officers leave.

There have even been reports of partygoers’ waste such as bottles and cans being dumped in neighbors’ bins because the ones at the party houses were overflowing.

The partygoers are all Thais he said.

“A friend of ours is trying to sell up and move away,” said Paul, “but when prospective buyers find out about the party houses they are no longer interested in moving in”.

The council has been called in by Thai people living in Paul’s estate - that currently has just 19 properties – but while promises are made to take action nothing concrete has taken place.

“Our peace has been shattered”, said Paul, “And the problem is now all over Hua Hin and the authorities must take action”.

While he told Thaivisa that there have been no threats to people at this stage he admitted that it could turn nasty if something is not done.

Meanwhile, the situation for an Australian couple in Soi Green Shop off Pala U Road is probably even worse.

Electronic engineer Peter Merz and his wife Paula, both 72, have a party house right next door to their two story property as well as another one just 40 meters away.

“It is impossible to describe how unbearable this situation is,” Peter told Thaivisa on Tuesday. “Next door there has been a party almost every night since the beginning of March”.

Peter, who had lived in Bangkok for ten years and has been in Hua Hin for seven said that only being able to go to friends’ houses has kept the couple sane.

They have only slept in their own home twice since the beginning of April, he said.

His neighbor is a Thai man who refuses to discuss the matter instead referring the couple to an agent.

Speaking about the noise from the pool area as well as a pool table set up in the home he said that sleeping was impossible and that 5 to 6am endings for the parties were par for the course.

In addition the houses were not built for large numbers often up to 20 persons – consequently he said that the septic tank had overflowed sending the smell of awful waste over to his side of the fence.

This prompted the agent to make alterations but the noxious smells continued unabated.

“The more whisky and beer they drink the louder it gets,” said Peter.

“And I have also observed the use of illegal drugs on more than one occasion”, he claimed.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-4-25

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was expecting a quiet idyllic lifestyle in Thailand but instead it has turned into a daily nightmare of noise and ever increasing problems and frustrations.    JING LOR??????   

The people were all thai.....what a shocker..they wont be quiet--im sure if u ask them-they WILL  :wai:

1st and most important item to pack when i come here...EARPLUGS...used daily  priceless....:saai:

14 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Dont these housing estates have security, similar rules to condos for pets noise etc, and an office that runs them ? 

Shhhhh please keep it to a small uproar--somchai security is trying to sleep---thai 4 thai after all :wai:

1 hour ago, clockman said:

Most Thais are stone deaf!

Stone something...At a mate's in BKK for Super Bowl. His wife's phone rings. It is her mum. She proceeds to have a shouting conversation with her mum about what they ate etc. Mate says, "Honey, do you need to shout into the phone we are watching the game?"

The wife retorted vociferously (as if we were all daft), "My mum lives in Chiang Mai!!!!!!"

'Nuff said. 

Similar in Samui except the renters are mainly large groups of Chinese and Europeans.  Our area used to be very quiet with isolated houses separated by gardens and occupied mainly by couples either the owners or long term renters.  Now all around plots are being bought out and they are packing in rows of units 3 floors high with pool, plush living room and 4-5 very small bedrooms to pack people in.  Renters are now coming for a few days in groups of 8-12. A lot have groups of kids screaming around the pool all day.  Others groups here to party all night.

1.  I have lived in Lincoln.  An autumn leaf falling is loud there.

2.  A party in Hua Hin!  Wow. Something to wake the dead - count me in.

On a serious note though, if these are more than twice a year I have sympathy for your problem.  I endured three years of parties with duff duff music two or three times every week.  I eventually got my big Bose speakers outside and had the massed pipe bands playing full blast .  Apparently they could be heard two kilometres away.  Did the trick though and they would turn it down later at night at least.

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

A lack of enforcement which is common in Thailand.  This is one of many examples why you should not buy property in Thailand.  An ideal life is being able to walk away from such annoyances. 

Become friends with the Hells Angeles and invite them down for a week. 

my advice is to buy in a gated village with a strong juristic board. We  live in emerald resort 1 its very tidy, good security and when a party house started up, we had the power to close them down. We have residents on the board, and a very healthy pool of money from the management fees to upgrade the roads, new street lights, pool fences etc etc. If maintenance isnt paid, the owners electric is turned off, and charged a 10percent fee until maintenance is paid. Our houses are mid range price, but none are rundown, the residents are happy, makes for an enjoyable stay in thailand

we live in hua hin, and we have a party house opposite us.  The police have been quite sympathetic, and if they are called, will usually come quickly and get the people to turn the music down and party from within the house, rather than the garden.

one of the neighbours has employed the services of a lawyer, plus the tessabahn have been round to investigate, but it seems that no laws are being broken, and they are powerless to stop the parties completely.

there was also a big thread about this on hua hin facebook group a couple of weeks back, and it seemed lots of people were affected

https://www.facebook.com/groups/614770915277919/permalink/1330792147009122/

This is one of the things that always worried me about moving there.  If you buy a place, you often have so little control over anything.  What might be a simple but granted somewhat long running feud in the USA would usually be resolved by enough noise complaints and court orders. In Thailand, well, there don't seem to be much courts and normal police action by any Western standard, and it has not gotten better since the military moved in and put the civilian forces under their thumbs.  You might get lucky if the dictatorial military locals slam down on the noisy disruptive folks, but I think it is more likely they will go with the locals

12 minutes ago, abab said:

Too many grumpy old people at Hua hin, I wonder why any party people go there.

The only noise i heard there is of these elderly folks walking around at early mornings with there golf shoes on the congrete road click clack click clack.

4 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

This is one of the things that always worried me about moving there.  If you buy a place, you often have so little control over anything.  What might be a simple but granted somewhat long running feud in the USA would usually be resolved by enough noise complaints and court orders. In Thailand, well, there don't seem to be much courts and normal police action by any Western standard, and it has not gotten better since the military moved in and put the civilian forces under their thumbs.  You might get lucky if the dictatorial military locals slam down on the noisy disruptive folks, but I think it is more likely they will go with the locals

Another one who cant stop talk about the usa.Funny thing is that i never meet usa folks in Thailand however its the majority of the posters here very odd!!

Just now, Destiny1990 said:

Another one who cant stop talk about the usa.Funny thing is that i never meet usa folks in Thailand however its the majority of the posters here very odd!!

oh stop being such a twit.  I am sure most people in any western country could post a similar thing.  Most western countries have civil courts, disturbing the peace laws, etc.  As far as you never meeting USA folks in Thailand, well, that doesn't mean anything.  Maybe you don't get out much or maybe you live in an area with few if any USA folks.  And if you mean USA folks retiring and living in the USA, there are many that post on Thai Visa.  Living in a foreign country has become a bit more challenging for USA folks due to some laws such as the Patriot act, banks "know your customer" interpretations, etc.  Many Pension funds, IRA brokerage firms make it difficult to live abroad, and Thailand happens to not be on one of the favored banking nations, which means many institutions will not direct deposit to Thai banks.  Sorry for the divergence.

18 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

oh stop being such a twit.  I am sure most people in any western country could post a similar thing.  Most western countries have civil courts, disturbing the peace laws, etc.  As far as you never meeting USA folks in Thailand, well, that doesn't mean anything.  Maybe you don't get out much or maybe you live in an area with few if any USA folks.  And if you mean USA folks retiring and living in the USA, there are many that post on Thai Visa.  Living in a foreign country has become a bit more challenging for USA folks due to some laws such as the Patriot act, banks "know your customer" interpretations, etc.  Many Pension funds, IRA brokerage firms make it difficult to live abroad, and Thailand happens to not be on one of the favored banking nations, which means many institutions will not direct deposit to Thai banks.  Sorry for the divergence.

Mate stop talking about usa.u could not even locate Thailand on a map under ur nose.Thailand also has civil courts duh!

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The partygoers are all Thais he said.

Thank goodness. I was about to point a finger at the Pattaya ferry and loads of Pattaya's less refined or genteel silver-haired Lothario's coming over to Hua Hin with their young slappers for a quiet(er) weekend.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said that there are two houses in the “Sunshine Mountain 1” housing estate that are being rented out as party houses after the owners realized they could make a killing.

One is owned by a Thai couple and the other Australian/Thai.

I guess Airbnb has a lot to answer for.

2 hours ago, jflundy said:

A mate of mine solved his problem by renting some massive speakers and when they started up he started up and drowned them out, they soon started to complain and the war was over!!

I used this tactic when the builders that were camping on ground behind the house started their music, one thing I can say is Thai people have little appreciation for Beethoven's 5th symphony.

4 hours ago, jflundy said:

A mate of mine solved his problem by renting some massive speakers and when they started up he started up and drowned them out, they soon started to complain and the war was over!!

If he isn't Thai, he could well be in trouble for causing a disturbance!

Archived