Get up early Sunday for an unforgettable view of Venus!

webfact

Get up early Sunday for an unforgettable view of Venus!

3am.jpg

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Astrological Society has announced that people throughout Thailand will be able to view the planet Venus at its brightest this Sunday morning.

But you will have to be up early - or go to bed late - as the best viewing time is restricted to 4am to 6am before sunrise.

Venus will be visible in the eastern sky with a magnitude of -4.6 (the full moon is -12.6), reported Daily News.

No aids are necessary - it can be viewed with the naked eye from anywhere in the country.

But should you have a reasonable telescope you will be able to see Venus as if it is the full moon.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-28

11 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I was waiting for the joke about seeing Uranus, it should have been in there somewhere but i guess that little number has been done to death.

very brave of you to admit Uranus has been done to death.

Ahhh Venus, allegedly  the goddess of love, born in the foam of the Mediterranean sea on the coast of Cyprus . What a beautiful siren, we gave her the name Venus goddess of love, and in return she gave her name to Syphilis, Gonorrhea, and some other sexually transmitted diseases. Hence the name 'Venus,,Venerial. 

4 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Ahhh Venus, allegedly  the goddess of love, born in the foam of the Mediterranean sea on the coast of Cyprus . What a beautiful siren, we gave her the name Venus goddess of love, and in return she gave her name to Syphilis, Gonorrhea, and some other sexually transmitted diseases. Hence the name 'Venus,,Venerial. 

'... born in the foam of the Mediterranean sea on the coast of Cyprus.' That was actually the Greek goddess, Aphrodite, even though the Botticelli painting was of Venus rising from the sea. But Venus did possess a wider range of talents, making her an ideal candidate for patron saint of Soi Cowboy, Nana, et al.

3 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

'... born in the foam of the Mediterranean sea on the coast of Cyprus.' That was actually the Greek goddess, Aphrodite, even though the Botticelli painting was of Venus rising from the sea. But Venus did possess a wider range of talents, making her an ideal candidate for patron saint of Soi Cowboy, Nana, et al.

Sorry about the name mix up

I wasn't sure which one it was, just a poxy guess, i suppose.  

Edited by Khon Kaen Dave
Misspelled

Venus is okay to look at with bare eyes, or binoculars, but it is boring to view with a telescope. Jupiter and

Saturn are far more interesting to view. seeing the rings of Saturn or to see Jupiter with its 4 large moons

and sometimes watching the moons transit in front of Jupiter is great to see. Also the 2 main bands and

the Red Spot. Mercury is also boring to look at, it is lifeless and has not moon or atmosphere. just craters

and a lot of heat. Looking at the star clusters, and other galaxies, and nebulas are all very neat to observe.

Geezer

On 4/28/2017 at 1:19 PM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

you old romantic

12 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Venus is okay to look at with bare eyes, or binoculars, but it is boring to view with a telescope. Jupiter and

Saturn are far more interesting to view. seeing the rings of Saturn or to see Jupiter with its 4 large moons

and sometimes watching the moons transit in front of Jupiter is great to see. Also the 2 main bands and

the Red Spot. Mercury is also boring to look at, it is lifeless and has not moon or atmosphere. just craters

and a lot of heat. Looking at the star clusters, and other galaxies, and nebulas are all very neat to observe.

Geezer

I like the idea of that. What 'scope do you use?

On 28/04/2017 at 9:25 AM, mfd101 said:

I notice it's the Thai ASTROLOGICAL Society that makes this announcement. I wonder what deep meaningfulness they will be concocting from this momentous, um, moment ...

It may not be what it seems.  In common English usage Astronomy and Astrology are two words which have sort of swapped their applications.  They may actually study the universe and not use it to make stupid life predictions. 

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

It may not be what it seems.  In common English usage Astronomy and Astrology are two words which have sort of swapped their applications.  They may actually study the universe and not use it to make stupid life predictions. 

Mmmmmm, well I had assumed that it was actually the Thai Astronomical Society that made the announcement but the translation into English was made by someone who didn't know the difference ...

Ref the venus story. I have a 9.25 Celestron CPC telescope, and my favorite eye piece is the 13mm

Ethos.  I also have a 70mm Celestron Astro Master that is very portable and I use it when I am away

from my part of the country I live in. Astronomy is my favorite hobby. the general camping and

travelling around.

Geezer

On 4/28/2017 at 1:19 PM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

One night with Venus, a lifetime with Mercury........before the discovery of penicillin. 

9 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Ref the venus story. I have a 9.25 Celestron CPC telescope, and my favorite eye piece is the 13mm

Ethos.  I also have a 70mm Celestron Astro Master that is very portable and I use it when I am away

from my part of the country I live in. Astronomy is my favorite hobby. the general camping and

travelling around.

Geezer

Could you advise of an entry level telescope for my boy (and me). which one can purchase here in Thailand.

Thank you

10 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

travelling around.

Geezer

....that's nice dear.

On 4/30/2017 at 7:54 AM, mfd101 said:

Mmmmmm, well I had assumed that it was actually the Thai Astronomical Society that made the announcement but the translation into English was made by someone who didn't know the difference ...

You are quite possibly right.  TIT being what it is.  I haven't checked (and won't be.)