Thai residency based on 3 year work permit and tax

Well, i really cant remember where i read this but pretty sure someone mentioned something like i can get sort of a red book residency thing if i have 3 years work permit and also pay taxes so far. And no need to do any visa anymore but only 90 days report. And thats all.

Is this the same thing like i get non-b from my work and no need to leave the country or likewise?

Actually i dont see the difference between non-b and the question i asked above.

Thnx

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Once you have permanent residency you don't need to apply annual extension of stay anymore. Also no need to do 90 day reports and etc. 

The only time you have go anything at immigration is if you want to leave the country. Unless you want to travel you do not even need to have a valid passport.

There is this long ongoing topic about it.

Once you have permanent residency you don't need to apply annual extension of stay anymore. Also no need to do 90 day reports and etc. 
The only time you have go anything at immigration is if you want to leave the country. Unless you want to travel you do not even need to have a valid passport.
There is this long ongoing topic about it.
[/url]  

A quick question if you aswer pls.

So i have wp and tax for 10 years now. Can i get this? And no need passport and other headaches????

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's not a simple process to get PR and it takes time.  I have not applied for PR, but a few of my long time friends have PR. It took years to get the PR. There is a limit each year how many get approved and typically they don't approve apps each year and let it build up. It's not cheap either. 

• Like 1

I went to a bunch of lawyers in phuket about this over the course of a few days. Most had no idea what I was talking about and I was straight back out the door.

One of them knew and reffered me to another office. He quoted me something ridiculous like 130,000 baht. Good luck with it. 

18 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I went to a bunch of lawyers in phuket about this over the course of a few days. Most had no idea what I was talking about and I was straight back out the door.

One of them knew and reffered me to another office. He quoted me something ridiculous like 130,000 baht. Good luck with it. 

The cost for everything is going to be much more than that. I cant recall the exact cost my friend told when he got his his PR  but it was up around $600,000. His company paid for it so he didn't care. That was 15 years ago so might be more than that now.

As per UbonJoes post above, there is a very large topic already about this, which contains a lot of facts and actual experiences from people who have gone through the PR process. I'd suggest anybody interested starts there to get an accurate picture.

My own experience.

1. I applied in 2006 and it was granted in 2012. Although from the recent threads above it now seems to be taking more like 1-2 years to get approved.

2. I did not use a lawyer or any legal service at all throughout my application. My wife and I got all of the documents together (a lot) with advice and assistance from the PR section in immigration. While it is a bit of effort, there is nothing difficult that needs a lawyer. I know of at least 2 other people who also did the application themselves and were successful.

3. I was never asked for any sort of 'unofficial' payment, other than the published fees. From Camerata's thread above, it seems applicants using lawyers can sometimes get asked for 'extras'.

4. The PR department in immigration were very helpful.

5. The link to the main thread is below.

11 hours ago, ericthai said:

The cost for everything is going to be much more than that. I cant recall the exact cost my friend told when he got his his PR  but it was up around $600,000. His company paid for it so he didn't care. That was 15 years ago so might be more than that now.

And my cost, excluding the fixed fees, was less than 5,000 baht including petrol

Follow the link and you will get the true story, not heresy

11 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

And my cost, excluding the fixed fees, was less than 5,000 baht including petrol

Please explain what the fixed fees you are talking about.  This was no hearsay, my friend and I were talking and I asked him how much it cost him to get his PR. He said his cost was nothing, but his company paid something like 580,000 Baht for fees and lawyer costs.  I have checked into this myself and the government fees for the application is 7,600B and the fee for the residence permit is 191,400B.  That's 199,000 baht I can easily see a lawyer in Thailand charge an oil company that much and not be an issue. 

12 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

OK but the fixed fee itself is 191,400 baht. I know some guys who think it would be a great idea but think I'm joking when I quote that figure. 'Not for the likes of you' probably applies to the vast majority of people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ericthai said:

Please explain what the fixed fees you are talking about.  This was no hearsay, my friend and I were talking and I asked him how much it cost him to get his PR. He said his cost was nothing, but his company paid something like 580,000 Baht for fees and lawyer costs.  I have checked into this myself and the government fees for the application is 7,600B and the fee for the residence permit is 191,400B.  That's 199,000 baht I can easily see a lawyer in Thailand charge an oil company that much and not be an issue. 

I paid 191,400 + 7,600 + 500 (petrol) + 1,000 (translations) + 1,500 (certifications of translations) + 500 (other stamp fees). Petrol and stamp fee estimates are a bit high

It does take time, I spent quite a few mornings (15 - 20 totally?) that I had to compensate by working late instead

10 hours ago, ericthai said:

Apologies for the hearsay comment eric, it's quite possible that a law firm that a big company uses will charge USD 10K for the WP work excluding fees, It's a nice round number that I certainly believe. The firm the company I work for use charge USD 1,500 to 2,000 per person to just process a WP

It can also be done for 205,000 + 15-20 half days. Quite a contrast

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 1