Trump invites leaders of Thailand, Singapore to the White House

webfact

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Don't mistake the view of the USA with the views of Trump.  He lost the popular vote by a significant margin.

~63 million did vote for him though, do they have no significance?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter who voted for him or didn't. When there is a threat of war- the American people rally around the President and the military. This is no different. Apparently, the military and the intelligence agencies see a clear and persistent danger if North Korea gets an intercontinental ballistic  missile that can mate a nuclear warhead and deliver it to the United States. The risk that the North would be tempted to fire it and kill millions of Americans is real because the North Korean regime has indicated it will do just that.

I don't like Trump but what I see now is he reacting to the realities of what can occur and listening to his military leadership. He is preparing for war but I am sure he doesn't want it and is hoping the chinese can negotiate a settlement.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He said Thailand is ready to give cooperation and support in any issue that will benefit the world community.

Don't look now general but your own house needs a bit of a sweep up. Well general off to the tailor for a whole new wardrobe no doubt. You truly want to make an impression. I am sure you both have a lot in common. Try and not pick up any bad habits. 

16 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

It doesn't matter who voted for him or didn't. When there is a threat of war- the American people rally around the President and the military. This is no different. Apparently, the military and the intelligence agencies see a clear and persistent danger if North Korea gets an intercontinental ballistic  missile that can mate a nuclear warhead and deliver it to the United States. The risk that the North would be tempted to fire it and kill millions of Americans is real because the North Korean regime has indicated it will do just that.

I don't like Trump but what I see now is he reacting to the realities of what can occur and listening to his military leadership. He is preparing for war but I am sure he doesn't want it and is hoping the chinese can negotiate a settlement.

It almost looks like who will blink first between China and the US. Maybe China has over estimated Trump hard to tell. 

10 hours ago, steven100 said:

Asia's PM's and specifically Thailands PM Khun Prayuth have been invited to the white house, Australia's PM Turnball is invited to a decommissioned boat on the hudson ... :cheesy:

More to the point, to celebrate the battle of the Coral sea.

25 minutes ago, heybruce said:

66 million voted for Clinton.  So the best you can say is that Trump represents a minority of the voters.

So the USA is not a true democracy? maybe thats why "they" have been invited, Trump needs some pointers on continuing the illusion!

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

Asia's PM's and specifically Thailands PM Khun Prayuth have been invited to the white house, Australia's PM Turnball is invited to a decommissioned boat on the hudson ... :cheesy:

Well, Malaysian leader didnt even get invited.

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

well whatever .... but it's obvious that Trump acknowledges that Khun Prayuth is the PM ...  

Trump will bring him in to discuss the trade issues that were already mentioned in past reports. Thailand is on that list. 

Trump is about business. That's the only reason some of these 3rd world whack jobs are getting invites.

I wonder why?

Could it possibly be to try and increase, US forces bases within South East Asia?

Hummmm?

How sad humans can be, by threatening to destroy one another, when we as humans have only one home, our World.

We have nowhere else to go!

Crazy!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, CGW said:

So the USA is not a true democracy? maybe thats why "they" have been invited, Trump needs some pointers on continuing the illusion!

No country has unlimited democracy.  USA has a democracy constrained by a constitution that arose as part of the philosophical struggles between the republicans and federalists early in the nation's history.  The electoral college is one of the artifacts of this struggle, and was original implemented with the idea of preventing blatantly unqualified populists from becoming president.  Unfortunately it didn't work.

In spite of this, I still prefer a qualified democracy as opposed to the unqualified government that can not be named in Thailand.

11 minutes ago, heybruce said:

No country has unlimited democracy.  USA has a democracy constrained by a constitution that arose as part of the philosophical struggles between the republicans and federalists early in the nation's history.  The electoral college is one of the artifacts of this struggle, and was original implemented with the idea of preventing blatantly unqualified populists from becoming president.  Unfortunately it didn't work.

I take it your not a Trump supporter! while the "people" argue about the rights and wrongs of a corrupt political system and make the facts work in favour of their side, or as they see it, those wielding the real power continue to rule! Just my humble opinion :shock1: there all tarred with the same brush! I am glad Hilary didn't get in though! Not a very nice person is my opinion!

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

66 million voted for Clinton.  So the best you can say is that Trump represents a minority of the voters.

Makes no difference quite a few US Presidents did not win the popular vote , Trump was even leading in popular votes untill crazy California  votes were counted. The electorial college pics the Pres and was formed so that no one or two densely populated states could over rule the will of the rest of the country.

3 hours ago, CGW said:

I take it your not a Trump supporter! while the "people" argue about the rights and wrongs of a corrupt political system and make the facts work in favour of their side, or as they see it, those wielding the real power continue to rule! Just my humble opinion :shock1: there all tarred with the same brush! I am glad Hilary didn't get in though! Not a very nice person is my opinion!

Hillary is not a very nice person, so you prefer a dangerous incompetent as President and Commander in Chief of the world's largest military with enough nukes to destroy civilization.  Interesting.

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Makes no difference quite a few US Presidents did not win the popular vote , Trump was even leading in popular votes untill crazy California  votes were counted. The electorial college pics the Pres and was formed so that no one or two densely populated states could over rule the will of the rest of the country.

"The electorial college pics the Pres and was formed so that no one or two densely populated states could over rule the will of the rest of the country."

No, the electoral college was written into the constitution by the Federalists to prevent people from voting directly for the President.  The framers of the constitution wanted people to choose intelligent, educated electors who were to choose the President.  As I wrote earlier, the intention was to prevent an incompetent populist from winning the election.  The framers of the constitution would be appalled by the outcome of the 2016 election, resulting in a President now on record as saying that the constitutional checks and balances are archaic and need to be changed.

However the implementation of the electoral college evolved in the years since the constitution was written to make it a method that effectively gives people from small states a disproportionate say in who is elected President.  It is moving in the direction of the rotten boroughs that used to be involved in selecting people to the British Parliament. 

Back on topic, since entering office Trump has demonstrated respect and admiration for dictatorial strongmen--Putin, Xi Jimping, Erdogan, el-Sisi, and even Kim Jong-un.  Prayut and Duterte fit right in with this esteemed group.

Since Thailand stuffed up in supporting the Japs during WW11, they have been very careful to tiptoe around the world stage in terms of diplomacy and allies. Even during the American war in Vietnam, they managed to send only a few troops who did not participate much in actual fighting. Sure they provided air bases but did not supply aircraft. 

Since Obama pushed the Kingdom towards China, the US now understands that upsetting the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia for perceived American moral reasons of their values of truth, democracy and American ways does not suit all Asian or opinions of other countries throughout the world.

Trump and the US are adopting better understandings of how to influence former friends and not upset other countries through moral posturing and sanctions.

Far better to overlook some issues than totally alienate former friends and allies.

It is called growing up and behaving like an adult in diplomatic wooing of friends.

As for Thailand being under pressure to hurt citizens of other countries, now living in Thailand - not going to happen unless any of those people can not afford to stay. Thailand is only concerned about your cash, not where you come from. 

President Trump is a business man, and it is still good business to talk with people from around

the world who live in friendly countries like Thailand, Singapore, Phillipines, and Vietnam. None of these

Asian countries are trying to build a nuclear bomb, so why not invite them to the Whitehouse, nothing wrong

with that.

Geezer

All this BS about elections and other talk is way of the topic.

Trump stepped up outreach to allies in Asia to secure their cooperation to pressure North Korea over its nuclear and missile programs.
The US already has met with Japan and S. Korea and Singapore. Now the need is to pull in 2 countries (Thailand and Philippines) that have been leaning more toward China.
There is nothing right now facing this region that is a bigger threat than what is happening in North Korea.

I believe the US is trying to line up the largest coalition possible in the region to present a united front against North Korea. I am happy to see the US trying to do this multilaterally rather than try to solve it on our own.