Trump invites leaders of Thailand, Singapore to the White House

webfact

Trump invites leaders of Thailand, Singapore to the White House

REUTERS

r1.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump walks from Marine One as he returns from a day trip to Atlanta on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, U.S., April 28, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump spoke to the leaders of Thailand and Singapore on Sunday in separate phone calls about the security situation in the Asia-Pacific region at a time of rising tensions with North Korea and invited both to visit Washington, the White House said.

Thailand Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, a former general, heads a military-dominated government that took power in a 2014 coup. His government had strained relations with Trump's predecessor, Barack Obama.

(Reporting by Lindsay Dunsmuir and Matt Spetalnick; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-01

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Asia's PM's and specifically Thailands PM Khun Prayuth have been invited to the white house, Australia's PM Turnball is invited to a decommissioned boat on the hudson ... :cheesy:

It can be reached by taking a long walk on a short pier:laugh:

The good general might get a talking to by somebody who he has no way of bullying.  As per all discussion with heads of state, they will understand how unique Thailand's problems are, and why free speech needed to be suspended.  It will be interesting to see what sort of conversation takes place.

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Looks like Thrump has no problem with an army general in charge.. an invite  to the white house.. can anyone remember YL getting one ?

might have been wise for YL not to have gone if trump was in charge

Looks like Thrump has no problem with an army general in charge.. an invite  to the white house.. can anyone remember YL getting one ?

Why is anyone surprised. Trump's an idiot.

He's also invited Philippine PM Duterte.

I assume he's looking for regional input/support re: DPRK, and then maybe South China Sea containment?

K.T. McFarland was purged out of NSC and has been tabbed as the new ambassador to Singapore.

I looks like the fraudulent POTUS is trying to collect allies in the fight with China North Korea. With Singapore and Thailand, it will be interesting to see where their governments come down on this issue as they deal with both China and the USA. Also, Malaysia does a bit of trading with North Korea so the USA is looking to the region for assistance with both sanctions and a possible future military action.

I must say I am a little concerned with living in Thailand on how things will play out. If the Thailand government decides to cozy up more with China, I am not sure how that will fair for US citizens living in Thailand. Or on the other hand, if North Korea decides that Thailand is too close to the USA, it becomes a target for NK missile strikes.

Just now, mtls2005 said:

He's also invited Philippine PM Duterte.

I assume he's looking for regional input/support re: DPRK, and then maybe South China Sea containment?

K.T. McFarland was purged out of NSC and has been tabbed as the new ambassador to Singapore.

Such a honor going to the white house.. it will  totally legitimize Prayut in the eyes of the world. :smile: Bet the man in Dubai is not happy at all.. his sister never got that far. 

Just now, Silurian said:

I looks like the fraudulent POTUS is trying to collect allies in the fight with China North Korea. With Singapore and Thailand, it will be interesting to see where their governments come down on this issue as they deal with both China and the USA. Also, Malaysia does a bit of trading with North Korea so the USA is looking to the region for assistance with both sanctions and a possible future military action.

I must say I am a little concerned with living in Thailand on how things will play out. If the Thailand government decides to cozy up more with China, I am not sure how that will fair for US citizens living in Thailand. Or on the other hand, if North Korea decides that Thailand is too close to the USA, it becomes a target for NK missile strikes.

I doubt Thailand even registers on North Korea's radar, so i doubt that is a problem. Though nuclear missiles in this region could be a problem, but Japan and Korea are far more likely targets then Thailand. (nuclear fallout could be a problem)

As for the fear for US citizen in Thailand if China and Thailand get closer.. i believe its an irrational  fear. China is far more interested in trade and economy. Unlike the US it has no large history of attacking outside its borders. (they considered Tibet part of China). I see no reason why China would have a problem with Americans living in Thailand and telling Thailand to deport them or anything like that. 

32 minutes ago, robblok said:

It is trap while he is on the trip 4 things can happen, the first when he arrives Trumpet hands him a bill for cheap Thai exports to the US and/or 2 the CIA launches a counter coup in Thailand and/or 3 the dear great leader is requested to remove any illegal Thai immigrant from the US and/or he gets arrested for IP violations.

No YS didn't get one but I doubt it if we will ever see your dear great leader in the White House. Trump has a tendency to talk before thinking and when he is told that your dear great leader has a definite sell by date he will give it pass.

1 minute ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

It is trap while he is on the trip 4 things can happen, the first when he arrives Trumpet hands him a bill for cheap Thai exports to the US and/or 2 the CIA launches a counter coup in Thailand and/or 3 the dear great leader is requested to remove any illegal Thai immigrant from the US and/or he gets arrested for IP violations.

No YS didn't get one but I doubt it if we will ever see your dear great leader in the White House. Trump has a tendency to talk before thinking and when he is told that your dear great leader has a definite sell by date he will give it pass.

We will see, what will happen but if he makes it to the white house imagine the PR coup of this PM over the PTP. I can already feel the man in Dubayi blowing a fuse. Prayut accepted by the world (that is what it will look like). Its great that America has a president that sees things the right way. 

Your other scenarios are not really likely.. though the one about cheap Thai exports is likely the others are just things you want to happen. But right now Thrump is looking for support against North Korea.. so i think he will play nice. 

46 minutes ago, robblok said:

correct .... Khun Prayuth also spoke at the UN convention hosted in New York recently.  He is a worthy leader and Trump accepts this.

26 minutes ago, robblok said:

Such a honor going to the white house.. it will  totally legitimize Prayut in the eyes of the world. :smile: Bet the man in Dubai is not happy at all.. his sister never got that far. 

TS is a convicted criminal and the US is aware of this.  I somehow couldn't imaging YL having a serious discussion with Trump ....  :clap2:   she's more likely to be out shopping for new shoes ...

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

I doubt Thailand even registers on North Korea's radar, so i doubt that is a problem. Though nuclear missiles in this region could be a problem, but Japan and Korea are far more likely targets then Thailand. (nuclear fallout could be a problem)

As for the fear for US citizen in Thailand if China and Thailand get closer.. i believe its an irrational  fear. China is far more interested in trade and economy. Unlike the US it has no large history of attacking outside its borders. (they considered Tibet part of China). I see no reason why China would have a problem with Americans living in Thailand and telling Thailand to deport them or anything like that. 

One never knows with Kim Jong-un. He had his half brother assassinated in Malaysia. Who knows which direction he would launch a missile. If NK sees the USA setting up a military base in Thailand (remember U-Tapao), it becomes a target. 

My fear with China and Thailand, is that if for some reason, Thailand decides to cast its lot with China in a possible future war against the USA, US citizens in Thailand might no longer feel (or even be) welcomed. I understand that in the past Thailand tried to remain neutral, but a quick visit to Kanchanaburi is a good reminder of what occurred during WWII.

Edited by Silurian

2 minutes ago, MorristheRunt said:

The clown visits the circus!

Khun Prayuth has worked hard to get Thailand back on the international stage ... previous illegitimate PM's were never invited to the white house.

1 minute ago, Silurian said:

One never knows with Kim Jong-un. He had his half brother assassinated in Malaysia. Who knows which direction he would launch a missile. If NK sees the USA setting up a military base in Thailand (remember U-Tapao), it becomes a target. 

My fear with China and Thailand, is that if for some reason, Thailand decides to cast its lot with China in a possible future war against the USA, US citizens in Thailand might no longer feel (or even be) welcomed. I understand that in the past Thailand tried to remain neutral, but a quick visit to Kanchanaburi is a good reminder of what occurred during WWII.

Wow... a war with China.. and then Thailand going after US citizen.. i feel that your a bit over reacting. But maybe the US should just not start a war... you have a saying in that you know when you vote. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Wow... a war with China.. and then Thailand going after US citizen.. i feel that your a bit over reacting. But maybe the US should just not start a war... you have a saying in that you know when you vote. 

Oh, I understand that it is a bit of an overreaction. But not outside the realm of possibilities. I agree that the US should not start a war...someone needs to tell that to the clown in charge. I doubt when US citizens voted in the last election that they had a war with NK on their minds. I guess by 2020, the US voter will maybe understand what is exactly at stake when you put an idiot in charge.

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Khun Prayuth has worked hard to get Thailand back on the international stage ... previous illegitimate PM's were never invited to the white house.

"previous illegitimate PM's were never invited to the white house."

General Chan Ocha must be very proud to be the first illegitimate PM (from Thailand) to be invited to the White House.

2 minutes ago, PREM-R said:

"previous illegitimate PM's were never invited to the white house."

General Chan Ocha must be very proud to be the first illegitimate PM (from Thailand) to be invited to the White House.

well whatever .... but it's obvious that Trump acknowledges that Khun Prayuth is the PM ...  

23 minutes ago, steven100 said:

That's because most of Thailand's previous illegitimate PM's were installed  by the White House.