Thai students develop cheap, light bulletproof vest

webfact

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Parichat said that the hard vest’s composite plates made of glass, carbon and natural fibre were strong and light and could prevent penetration of sharp-edged bullets of .38mm, .45mm and 9mm calibre.

38 Cal                45 Cal               9mm

200px-.38_Super.jpg.50d39088dd4c53a8e7f653c5994ef73f.jpgindex2.jpg.5f76a3719019b3f70d38e0daafc38a2d.jpgindex.jpg.10a73bf50464ec9761e6ed795a6f000e.jpg

Well, Ball ammo is kinda round.... LOL.  I was also thinking a lot of folks mistake the steel chest plate insert in a commercial vest, as being "bullet proof".  Probably will help but they are called "Trauma Plates", to reduce injury from sharp edge attacks (stabbed in the chest with a knife).

Vests with F/R plates are frickin' heavy though.  I only wore  Level 2 and 3 vests.  Hot and uncomfortable, but that was more than a few years ago.

Thai Army might need these when Thai citizens have finally had enough, and rise up against the "government". 

Edited by 55Jay

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

38 Cal                45 Cal               9mm

200px-.38_Super.jpg.50d39088dd4c53a8e7f653c5994ef73f.jpgindex2.jpg.5f76a3719019b3f70d38e0daafc38a2d.jpgindex.jpg.10a73bf50464ec9761e6ed795a6f000e.jpg

Well, Ball ammo is kinda round.... LOL.  I was also thinking most folks mistake the steel chest plate insert in a commercial vest, as being "bullet proof".  Well, probably will help but they are called "Trauma Plates", to reduce injury from sharp edge attacks (stabbed in the chest with a knife).

Vests with those ceramic type plates are frickin' heavy though.  I used to wear  Level 2 and 3 vests.  Hot and uncomfortable.  The Thai Army might need these when Thai citizens have finally had enough, and rise up against the "government". 

Never fired a gun in my life thankfully, but I can now see why Harry liked his 45

3 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Never fired a gun in my life thankfully, but I can now see why Harry liked his 45

If you're talkin' about Harry Callahan, his was a .44 Magnum hand cannon.

images.jpg.7ec894c564a3052104b0153d0358eb72.jpg

Edited by 55Jay

13 hours ago, overherebc said:

So,

are we talking about bullet proof vests or bomb detectors or can we throw in how good my granny was at making scones.

I've still got the recipe if anyone wants.

Well that will depend on whether you are a scon or scone man, of some importance to some English people dont you know

14 hours ago, lujanit said:

Thais invented the cure foe Ebola so why can they not invent a cheap bullet proof vest? Just don't ask me to test it.

maybe it s the combination of the two, someone shoots  you whilst wearing their  bullet  proof   vest and the  bullet goes thru and  kills you, cures the Ebola for sure

...and after hearing the scorn of Thaivisa skeptics, the Thai students release a statement:

"....we not plan to tell, but this one have secret ingredient..

If bullet does penetrate polymer, natural cellulose, glass, steel and ceramic fibre, it then get stop by coconut shell and bamboo..

Grow in Thailand best in world you know .verrry goood

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

keep your sporran on

Well its nice to hear from you again MR GRAMMAR POLICEMAN, I suppose this means your wounds have healed

I dont really hold a grudge, but I could not resist this

So to end this post I offer you an unreserved apology for its content, even though its all factual

Now I shall swiftly move on

27 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Well its nice to hear from you again MR GRAMMAR POLICEMAN, I suppose this means your wounds have healed

I dont really hold a grudge, but I could not resist this

So to end this post I offer you an unreserved apology for its content, even though its all factual

Now I shall swiftly move on

???????

3 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

No worries, I understand

I think the best thing I can say to you is have a nice day, innit 

I think the Scots refer to a scone as a scon,at least my Grandmother did and she was a Scot.

........ could prevent penetration of sharp-edged bullets of .38mm, .45mm and 9mm calibre. 

The 0.38mm bullet is indeed sharp like a darning needle. Luckily there is no weapon made that can fire it which is probably why the cartridge is a rare collectors item.

6 hours ago, soalbundy said:

keep your sporran on

Unconscious connection there as the original Sporran was a metal plate to protect your collection of dangly bits. Later you could keep your scones ( skons, as you would say it, not skoans ) in it.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Unconscious connection there as the original Sporran was a metal plate to protect your collection of dangly bits. Later you could keep your scones ( skons, as you would say it, not skoans ) in it.

Excuse me but this is a English language forum apart from the Thai language section

I know the term English language has to be taken with a pinch of salt at times, and I am as guilty as anybody, but Skons or Skoans cannot be allowed to pass under the radar

Perhaps he shouted, I have got a Skon and not I have got a bomb

15 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Excuse me but this is a English language forum apart from the Thai language section

I know the term English language has to be taken with a pinch of salt at times, and I am as guilty as anybody, but Skons or Skoans cannot be allowed to pass under the radar

Perhaps he shouted, I have got a Skon and not I have got a bomb

Haud yir wheesht oan that wan.

Anyway perhaps those chappies have come up with a terribly spiffing idea on the bullit proof simmits. It creeps back in again, sorry.

Who knows?

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Haud yir wheesht oan that wan.

Anyway perhaps those chappies have come up with a terribly spiffing idea on the bullit proof simmits. It creeps back in again, sorry.

Who knows?

One can only hope, and I am serious, but to be honest I dont know who will be more taken aback yours truly or the students

On 02/05/2017 at 2:52 AM, robblok said:

That bomb detector was developed by a by a few Brits... so much for bashing Thais.. good luck.. it was a farang scamming Thais (who were probably bribed)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29459896

Yep and they are all in jail now 10 years was it not? But the idiots who bought them are the real villains. If you look into it, they knew they did not work and could not save lives. Even your current PM said they worked and came out with excuses that the operators had not been trained right or they where too tired. The truth is they never worked and where a scam by this so called British company but people you support made money by corruption out of them. The design came from a golf ball finder. The UK government told people not to buy them as they where a scam but your man did, so who is scamming who? Looks like 2 types scamming those who also scam. Justice I would say.

I hope these vests where not tested with rubber bullets.

Edited by wakeupplease

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

One can only hope, and I am serious, but to be honest I dont know who will be more taken aback yours truly or the students

Maybe they have come up with an idea that with a bit of development will be worthwhile in the long run.

I would prefer to see that side of it rather than the idea of jaded old expats writing everything off from their bar-stools.

Just sayin.

10 hours ago, overherebc said:

Maybe they have come up with an idea that with a bit of development will be worthwhile in the long run.

I would prefer to see that side of it rather than the idea of jaded old expats writing everything off from their bar-stools.

Just sayin.

No problem, because I am just listening

Any advance or potential advance in any field that helps human kind is to be welcomed

Things turn up from the most unexpected places at times, I just love this next phrase, [ But at the end of the day ] 5555555 we have to keep our feet on the ground

6 hours ago, oldlakey said:

No problem, because I am just listening

Any advance or potential advance in any field that helps human kind is to be welcomed

Things turn up from the most unexpected places at times, I just love this next phrase, [ But at the end of the day ] 5555555 we have to keep our feet on the ground

I can remember asking a teacher exactly what that phrase meant.

I was told to shut up and stop being smart.

?

Edited by overherebc

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

I can remember asking a teacher exactly what that phrase meant.

I was told to shut up and stop being smart.

?

I better answer would have been I will tell you at the end of the day  SORRY, SORRY honest