Tubular Box Spanner

Morakot

Hi,

I'm looking for a tubular box spanner to fasten a kitchen tap. The 11mm nut of the tap below the sink is not accessible from the side, only from below.

Where to buy it here in Bangkok? Ordering on ebay always take so long to arrive.

s-l1600.jpg

They are a pain in the butt, I have fitted a few of these and if they are the same its a 'c' plate underneath with the nut to tighten. The basin wrenches are not for this design of fixing and wont clamp on 11mm nuts also there is not enough room.
Deep socket, universal joint and an extension works best in 1/4 inch drive
No idea if you can even buy a box spanner in 11mm

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for their fast replies!

The fasteners holds the tap in place. See figure 4.

It's completely awkward because it secures against the back of the quartz counter top. The concrete base on which counter top sits has been chiselled through but it's not wide enough to get a normal spanner in.

The tail is quite short, about 70mm. So it might just work with a the box spanner shown in the OP that's 124mm long.

Would the basin wrenches they sell in homepro work for 11mm?

IMG_20170502_150918.jpg

IMG_20170502_153639.jpg

I have found using long nose pliers on that nut works ok.

Its a long nut so you can get a fair pit of purchase on it.

but Global et al have lots of box spanners mainly relative to car mechanics

3 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I have found using long nose pliers on that nut works ok.

Its a long nut so you can get a fair pit of purchase on it.

but Global et al have lots of box spanners mainly relative to car mechanics

Thanks Eye! :smile:  I'll try that for the time being until my ebay order arrives.

What I would do is replace the nut with one that has "wings" on it and use one of my homemade basin wrenches to tighten it, patent oending.  Very easy to make and will save you loads of time and aggravation!.

DSC01070.JPG

I picked up a new Bosch table saw today in Buriram and spotted the inexpensive Stanley 87-448 Basin Wrench. That Stanley Basin Wrench is 11" or 280 MM and has served me well. The Bosch GCM 12 GDL table saw with the portable stand was a bit more in Thailand than the Stanley tool. The Stanley basin wrench is made in Taiwan and costs under 400 baht and could be at any Stanley tools dealer in Thailand. Wayned has the skill to make a suitable basin wrench out of PVC pipes and should be applauded. 

Buriram Thailand Bosch GCM 12 GDL saw GIA 2500W portable stand.jpg

Buriram Thailand Stanley Basin Wrench Tools.jpg

These fasteners are very easy to tighten! providing you are a double jointed extremely small person who can contort themselves into totally inaccessible spaces and have the right tools!

Good luck!

Our "plumber" installed the basin set before dropping the basin into the granite and sealing it with something that's not silicone.

Brilliant idea, until one needs to get the tap off.

There's no way to get anything anywhere near the retaining nut and my Stanley knife (yes, you can get real ones here) won't dent the sealant (or whatever).

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Our "plumber" installed the basin set before dropping the basin into the granite and sealing it with something that's not silicone.

There's no way to get anything anywhere near the retaining nut and my Stanley knife (yes, you can get real ones here) won't dent the sealant (or whatever).

Most likely something like Aqua Putty. If you are going to replace the fixture and are not try to repair it, first unscrew the water supply and then use a hammer or mallet and bag on the faucet head from left to right to loosen the nut , "smack it hard". It will loosen the nut and the faucet can be removed from above keeping constant pressure on the nut as you unscrew it.  If you are going to repair it wrap it in a cloth before "battering"it.   When you get it off make sure that you use a "wing" nut and  my "patent pending" tool tighten it.  When installing the new one you should tighten it with the faucet facing slightly to the left of the final intended position and then force the vavle into the intended position from above which furthers tighten the nut!

3 hours ago, CGW said:

These fasteners are very easy to tighten! providing you are a double jointed extremely small person who can contort themselves into totally inaccessible spaces and have the right tools!

Good luck!

I failed to mention that it helps greatly if you have helper who is also height challenged and both lithe and agile, they can crawl into the limited space with you and hold a flashlight so you can actually see what you doing!

Not one of my favourite tasks!

4 hours ago, wayned said:

My helpers have four legs and haven't been trained to hold a flashlight.

But they are small, lithe and agile. Three out of four 'aint bad :smile:

And, four legs makes for a very stable flashlight.

Where's Barbara Woodhouse when you need her?

• 5 months later...
On 5/4/2017 at 6:11 PM, Crossy said:

You mean two part epoxy?

Wayne, my father has the patent pending on the steel version from a 1 1/2” socket.
Rigid has a nice similar tool called “faucet and sink installer” but amazingly there’s always a time I need other basin wrenches.
I tried to upload some photos but got an error message about “empty cmd” oh well.

Archived