PM assigns legal officials to find solutions to concerns over media reform bill

PM assigns legal officials to find solutions to concerns over media reform bill

By Wasamon Audjarint

The Nation

14c64a5397e1eb548df97ae844fed2f8-sld.jpeg

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday assigned government legal officials to find solutions to concerns raised by media organisations over the controversial media reform draft bill.

He insisted that the government would undertake a rounded consideration of the bill as a way to “enhance” the quality of media workers.

“The thing is we have to listen to all sides and find a way to increase their [media professionals’] quality,” Prayut said.

“Media organisations, editors and reporters all have to be responsible. If they can think of a way to regulate themselves, then propose it to us,” he added.

Speaking after the weekly Cabinet meeting, the PM said he had informed legal officers, including his deputy Wissanu Krea-ngam, Justice Minister Suwaphan Tanyuvardhana and the Council of State, to find solutions.

The controversial draft bill, feared by the media sector for its tendency to allow the authorities to infiltrate media affairs, was endorsed on Monday by the National Reform Steering Assembly.

It will be forwarded for the Cabinet’s consideration before being handed over to the National Legislative Assembly for three-reading deliberations.

The premier also reiterated that the government had no intention of scrapping or casting a shadow over the media.

“We have to support the media’s function,” he said. “But I also ask the media to report cautiously in these times.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30314026

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-5-2

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“But I also ask the media to report cautiously in these times.”

That sounds very much like a threat to me. Sadly, one that should not be taken lightly.

I am bloody glad I am not a journalist in this country right now.

Not one with integrity, decency and courage anyway, though there are regrettably, few of those left, assuming of course, there were many around to start with.

media freedom/free speech  is a fallacy - there is no such thing and for very good reasons, you simply cannot say what you like - I don't need to explain it............just look it up

is Thailand going overboard right now ....maybe but you can understand why

There are elements in this country that have an agenda and claim to be just reporting the news  - it is not neutral media reporting - it is propaganda ..... there is a huge difference............it is criminal and would not be tolerated in the west

ok but lets get on to other things like Subs.....................or health care 

The Military should not be able to rubber stamp procurement of submarines just because they are in power right now...............there is something seriously wrong with that, if the new constitution allows the Navy - Army - Air force to just buy what ever they feel like then something needs to be amended - that is just 100% plain wrong.................stop this nonsense, Thailand has more important things that money like that needs to be spent on

Prayut Chan (O) Cha .....................you need to rethink this, Thailand is not a rich country because the wealth that should have been going to the people over the last 40 years has been diverted into greedy pockets

SUBS    ?    Thailand really does not need SUBS .......it needs Healthcare and Education and a Police force that enforces the law 24/7

PS

Oh and a Rant

while we are at it, how about revising the roads and transport act to allow 600cc+ motorcycles on the toll roads like every other developed SEA nation does, (Yup Thailand is years behind that one)  tourists expats and Thais want to travel on their big motorbikes on motorways - it seems that only Thailand in SEA is really in the dark ages with this one, yes no scooters - we got that, but people want to travel .......... I will pay a Toll no problem

It really is ridiculous that I have to spend 3hrs when I am touring trying to get across Bangkok by ferry when I could do it in 30mins on highway 9...............seriously the only country in SEA 

media freedom/free speech  is a fallacy - there is no such thing and for very good reasons, you simply cannot say what you like - I don't need to explain it

Sorry my man you do as some countries do allow most rational thinkers to speak there mind, but idiots I agree try to say whats not PC

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“We have to support the media’s function,” he said. “But I also ask the media to report cautiously in these times.”

The media should report accurately at all times.  That is what liable laws are for.  This government sponsored knitting circle is just a waste of time.