Poison Ivy?

Last weekend I ventured out of Krung Thep into the wilds of Nonthaburi! It was just like a grade school field trip! I left the noise, pollution and crowds of people behind and saw actual trees, grass, etc...

Unfortunately, my arms are now covered with a rash that looks very much like the Poison Ivy and Poison Oak that I used to get back in the states! Does anyone know what plant I encountered? If so, what is it called, what does it look like?

TIA

Unfortunately, my arms are now covered with a rash that looks very much like the Poison Ivy and Poison Oak that I used to get back in the states! Does anyone know what plant I encountered? If so, what is it called, what does it look like?

TIA

I read something recently that stated there were no poisonous plants in Thailand. MIght have been in The Nation" newspaper but don't recall.

A "poisonous plant" is something like hemlock or deadly nightshade. Poison ivy and poison oak are merely skin irritants. I did a quick Google for you, and came up with four possibilities. You might have come into contact with Desert Rose, Crown of Thorns, or Cow Itch. You might also have come into contact with the weedkiller paraquat. Do a google to try to find pictures of them and see if any of them look familiar. BTW. I did also find that Thailand does have truly poisonous plants, such as the one called Rosary beads, or Buddhist rosary beads. (and 15 other names, too!)

I was shocked to discover that Mango trees and Cashew nut trees (which are abundant in Thailand) are both in the same family as poison oak, poison ivy, and sumac. All produce the extremely itchy, burning rash to those who are allergic. They all contain the chemical urishiol -which is the allergen that causes the rash we are familiar with.