UK visitor visa for Thai GF resfusal - need help

I would agree with the first bit about writing their own applications. Not having a clue of the contents? No I don't agree. Nobody knows if VFS will call or not. They might call an applicant, an employer or a sponsor. I made sure my GF knew the main points in case she was called and I would bet that most people on TV would do the same.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rasg said:

Nobody knows if VFS will call or not.

A pedantic, but I believe important, correction.

VFS will not call. They are mere handling agents; they do not interview applicants and play no part in the decision making process.

All interviews, whether by phone or in person, are carried out by HMG employees stationed in the British embassy.

14 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

A pedantic, but I believe important, correction.

VFS will not call. They are mere handling agents; they do not interview applicants and play no part in the decision making process.

All interviews, whether by phone or in person, are carried out by HMG employees stationed in the British embassy.

You are right. I should have put UKVI or the ECO.

On 2017-5-16 at 9:41 AM, 7by7 said:

As far as the ECOs are concerned, your girlfriend, the applicant, signed a declaration which includes a statement that the answers given on the form are true and complete. How could she have signed that declaration without knowing what those ...

This is a sad reality check for me.

I agree it will be very tricky to fix this mistake. 

Only a very strong application might help us now.

I believe we will need to be honest and explain  that even though she understood what was written in the application she had the wrong expectations in terms of how long she could or should stay in the country.

In the application I said she would stay 1 month and take a 1 or 2 weeks English course.

Now that I have access to this forum it is all very obvious. I believe her application was very strong but I made the terrible mistake of not setting the correct expectations. If I had any idea they would have called her we could be in a very different situation now.

Thanks everyone for the tips 

On 2017-5-16 at 9:27 AM, rasg said:

Mentioning the English course at all was a big mistake in itself. A 30 day course on a 30 day holiday would probably break the visa terms as studying must not be the main reason to come to the UK in the first place on a visit visa. When would she have time to holiday when she is studying for most of it? That would have set alarm bells ringing on its own.

Sorry maybe I gave the wrong information here but in the application I said she would take a 1 or 2 weeks English course.

Regarding her finding a job I hope we don't need to go via that route as it would slow down the process.

I may go back to Thailand in two weeks time and increase the credibility that we are an actual couple. 

We may go to another country again and get a few more stamps. 

Not saying this could save the day but I guess it would help a little bit.

In terms of chat logs, call logs, photos and time together I think no one could put into question the fact that we are together. Obviously it doesn't guarantee the other points such as her being an actual visitor and having reasons to return to Thailand.

I have also proof of job interviews I have been having in Bangkok  (via Skype) so this might also help to prove she will go back when I find the right job and potentially move to Thailand. 

Thanks 

Edited by pr2017
Typo

22 minutes ago, pr2017 said:

Sorry maybe I gave the wrong information here but in the application I said she would take a 1 or 2 weeks English course.

Regarding her finding a job I hope we don't need to go via that route as it would slow down the process.

I may go back to Thailand in two weeks time and increase the credibility that we are an actual couple. 

We may go to another country again and get a few more stamps. 

Not saying this could save the day but I guess it would help a little bit.

In terms of chat logs, call logs, photos and time together I think no one could put into question the fact that we are together. Obviously it doesn't guarantee the other points such as her being an actual visitor and having reasons to return to Thailand.

I have also proof of job interviews I have been having in Bangkok  (via Skype) so this might also help to prove she will go back when I find the right job and potentially move to Thailand. 

Thanks 

You have already visited four times in less than six months and from the info you posted another won't make much difference. There was no dispute that you were a couple. Job interviews in Thailand for you will do nothing to show that your GF will return to Thailand.

You are trying to improve her application but doing it from the wrong angle imho. If she owned a house and land that could make a difference. If she had a job that would make a difference. I don't think your latest suggestions will make any difference at all to a  new application.

If you genuinely plan to move to Thailand to work then get a job, get a work visa and present that as part of a new visit visa application. It would be perfectly reasonable for a partner to visit the UK before you up sticks and transfer your life overseas.

Just remain honest!

That would probably take longer than his GF getting a job and working for a while before applying again.

No reason why after a few months she applies again stating that she took the job on the basis that she would be allowed to have a holiday after a few months as it is already booked. It's routine in the UK. Worth a try or maybe see if she can go back to her old job? Just a couple of ideas that might work as long they are the truth.

I'm very interested in hearing what Thai Visa Express has to say.

Edited by rasg

7 hours ago, pr2017 said:

I believe we will need to be honest and explain  that even though she understood what was written in the application she had the wrong expectations in terms of how long she could or should stay in the country

Playing devil's advocate, again:

If she understood what was in the application, why did she give a completely different answer when asked about the length of her stay during the phone interview, and then later in the same interview contradict that answer?

Over the years I have seen many posts in this and similar forums from people advising that it will 'make the application look better' if the applicant says they only intend to stay for 2 or 3 weeks even though they actually intend to stay for longer; even the full 6 months.

Whether this is was your intention or not; your experience shows the folly of heeding such 'advice.'

Edited by 7by7
Addendum

14 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

f she understood what was in the application, why did she give a completely different answer when asked about the length of her stay during the phone interview, and then later in the same interview contradict that answer?

Over the years I have seen many posts in this and similar forums from people advising that it will 'make the application look better' if the applicant says they only intend to stay for 2 or 3 weeks even though they actually intend to stay for longer; even the full 6 months.

I don't think that many applicants who request UKVI for a 6 month holiday actually have a visa granted unless the circumstances of the couple are fundamentally different from the typical Thai/ferang holiday romance. eg. They have been married for a while and live in Thailand etc.

The OP probably discussed the holiday time of 30 days with his GF early on in the visa discussion but they fully intended that she would stay the full six months. The "confusion" arose because they had no idea that UKVI would call and when they did she simply told them the truth...

I don't see any way back from it for a while unless they are very lucky. Let’s face it. UKVI have seen it all before.

True, they have seen it all before.

But why do they give a 6 months visa then?

If the visa was for 1 month this wouldn't be a problem.

The ONLY thing I did was to show my GF the flight I recommended her to take (duration: 30 days) and that's all. I also mentioned she could take an English course, but didn't mention duration because it could either be 1, 2 or 3 weeks.. I hadn't even looked at it.

Again, I can see the mistakes now and they are obvious. But when applying with a naive mind, I just thought that we were applying for a 1 month visit visa and that was all.

When they called her and started interrogating her, why would she say she wanted to do a 3 months English course if this was never agreed with me? Why would she say she would stay in the UK for 6 months if I never said so?

Ok, I can't say that UKVI tricked her, but obviously some of the questions were asked and allowed her to make the wrong assumptions.

Again, I'm not trying to excuse my stupid mistake, but if you see the events from my "naive" point of view, we were not doing anything wrong and were not trying to trick UKVI.

In addition to showing her a printout of a BA flight with return after 30 days (the ONLY info I showed her, and very briefly), I should have explained the rules and should have told her how to behave when called by UKVI.

From this point of view, clearly a professional trying to get a prostitute or a sex slave to the UK would have perhaps avoided these mistakes by preparing their victims first.

However, a naive but honest application can easily fall prey.

Obviously frustrating, but that's the system they use which in theory works for most cases... some extreme cases may not fit properly but what can we do?

Regarding the forum sponsor, yes, they replied to my email. They are a little bit busy at the moment with several other applications, but they also believe that this is very difficult, if not impossible, to recover.

Thanks

2 hours ago, pr2017 said:

Again, I can see the mistakes now and they are obvious. But when applying with a naive mind, I just thought that we were applying for a 1 month visit visa and that was all.

When they called her and started interrogating her, why would she say she wanted to do a 3 months English course if this was never agreed with me? Why would she say she would stay in the UK for 6 months if I never said so?

Many Thai women chatter away on the various forums and also among their friends. I was quite surprised about some of the ideas they have and how most know, or think they know how the system works. Most seem to think that stuffing money into their account prior to applying for a visa is the best thing to do despite it being the worst. I've heard that one time and time again and seen the refusal notices.

I've said this at least once before but I think leaving it sometime is the only thing that will heal this one.

17 hours ago, rasg said:

I don't think that many applicants who request UKVI for a 6 month holiday actually have a visa granted unless the circumstances of the couple are fundamentally different from the typical Thai/ferang holiday romance. eg. They have been married for a while and live in Thailand etc.

I know personaly several UK based British boyfriends and Thai based Thai girlfriends (and one gay couple) who have successfully obtained a UK visit visa after the applicant stated in their application that they wished to remain in the UK for the full 6 months. I am aware of other couples in the same situation who were successful through forums such as this.

Most of those applicants did not have a solid reason to return; certainly none of them worked. The ECOs are well aware that employed Thais get very little annual holiday, and that very few, if any, Thai employers will grant an employee a 6 months sabbatical.

It all depends on the applicant coming across as credible with a genuine reason for visiting the UK for so long. In most cases of which I am aware, the reason was to get a taste of life in the UK and meet their partner's family before committing to marriage followed by settlement.

17 hours ago, rasg said:

The "confusion" arose because they had no idea that UKVI would call and when they did she simply told them the truth

If she, or pr2017, had told the truth in the application, there would have been no confusion!

The only sure fire way of avoiding being caught in a lie is to not lie in the first place!

10 hours ago, pr2017 said:

But why do they give a 6 months visa then?

Because that is the length of a standard UK visit visa laid down by Parliament in the immigration rules.

Many applicants, and not just those in a relationship with a UK resident or British citizen, have genuine reasons for visiting the UK for that long.

That is a question you need to ask her.

Ok, I can't say that UKVI tricked her, but obviously some of the questions were asked and allowed her to make the wrong assumptions.

I believe (but may be wrong, check with TVE) that she can ask for a transcript of the interview.

6 hours ago, 7by7 said:

If she, or pr2017, had told the truth in the application, there would have been no confusion!

That is a question you need to ask her.

Not sure it is fair to say we lied in the application. As I explained before, the intention was for her to come for 1 month.

Mine was a rhetoric question. In my opinion she was asked something like:

"What if your visa is for 6 months?", instead of "Are you going to stay for 6 months?"

Only the transcript will solve the mystery.

On 16/05/2017 at 10:55 PM, Jip99 said:

I would suggest that that the vast majority of applicants (sponsored by TV members) don't write their own applications and don't have a clue what is in them. Not an issue when dealing with VfS but it can be if interviewed by phone.

my thai friends have all completed their own application forms (and all been successful applicants), it's not that difficult, they ask me for advice or help as necessary. as they have completed the form themselves and told the truth it's extremely unlikely they will be give inconsistent details in an interview. common sense really.

6 hours ago, samsensam said:

my thai friends have all completed their own application forms (and all been successful applicants), it's not that difficult, they ask me for advice or help as necessary. as they have completed the form themselves and told the truth it's extremely unlikely they will be give inconsistent details in an interview. common sense really.

I'm pleased to hear that. Most of it is common sense but I think you need a very good command of English to navigate all of the hurdles.

Well that works if your Thai friends are highly proficient in English, which is certainly not the case for many Visitor visa applicants!
  • Like 1