Delta apologises for "booting" passenger off flight

webfact

Delta apologises for "booting" passenger off flight

DELTA-AIR-PASSENGER

r8.jpg

Passengers check in at a counter of Delta Air Lines in Mexico City, Mexico, August 8, 2016. To match Analysis DELTA AIR-OUTAGES/IT REUTERS/Ginnette Riquelme/File Photo

(Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc <DAL.N> apologised on Thursday to customers, who were forced off its flight last month, and said it would refund them and provide additional compensation.

A video was posted online by Brian Schear on Wednesday, claiming that Delta "booted" him off a flight, along with his wife and two infants, due to overbooking. (http://bit.ly/2qD3dYH)

"We are sorry for the unfortunate experience our customers had with Delta," the company said in a statement on Thursday. The flight was departing from Maui to Los Angeles on April 23.

This comes nearly a month after United Continental Holdings Inc <UAL.N> sparked outrage for dragging a passenger by his hands, out of an overbooked flight. However, the airline reached a settlement with the passenger last month.

Following the United incident, Southwest Airlines Co <LUV.N> said it would stop overbooking its flights.

American Airlines Group Inc <AAL.O> also experienced its own public relations fiasco last month when a video went viral, showing an onboard clash over a baby stroller.

(Reporting by Arunima Banerjee in Bengaluru; Editing by Martina D'Couto)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-05

This should be a wake-up call to the US Airlines that they can't compete internationally with customer service or satisfaction.

As an American, I am ashamed at the American Airline Companies and personally do not fly them unless I have to, but never fly them

internationally. I do like JetBlue and Southwest in the states. We need more competition in the American Market not less.

Believe it or not, a few airlines do not overbook. WestJet out of Canada for example. And they somehow remain profitable. Why can't other airlines do the same? Because their lust for ever increasing profits outweigh their respect for their passengers.

Overbooking should be made illegal with very, very large fines for doing so and mandating that anyone booted off be compensated for 10 times the price they paid for the ticket.

How  can they kick off a guy with his wife and kids? Outrageous! 

I side with Delta in this incident.  The passengers seen here, tried to use a non transferable ticket bought for one family member who was not traveling with them as he had changed flights, for another member of the family who was a toddler flying for free. He had not right to the seat. These rules are clearly evident during the purchasing process and if a customer disagrees, they can pay a higher fare that has less restrictions or travel with another carrier.

The flight attendant is quoted as saying that the Child cannot occupy a seat as he is under 2 years old. 

This is incorrect: In an *FAA approved car seat a Child is more safe than in the arms of its parent.  The FAA actually recommends securing your child instead of placing the child in your lap.

(*Most stage 0-1 car seats are FFA approved these days). 

FAA Approved Car Seats:

Quote from FAA Website:

Did you know that the safest place for your child on an airplane is in a government-approved child safety restraint system (CRS) or device, not on your lap? Your arms aren't capable of holding your child securely, especially during unexpected turbulence.

I used to fly this way with my Son all the time (car seat on the plane) The only difference, I never bought the seat as there were always spares. 

The video clearly shows that the guy bought the seat for his child. Delta have made up some rubbish, and for what ?...  their stance makes no sense whatsoever... its as if the world has gone insane. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, kamahele said:

The passengers seen here, tried to use a non transferable ticket bought for one family member who was not traveling with them as he had changed flights, for another member of the family who was a toddler flying for free. He had not right to the seat. T

Fair enough but if they wanted to call him on that rule they should have done it at the  check-in counter , not after they allowed them to board the plane.

Edited by Rob13

I can see both 'sides' in this case.

If I understand correctly, the family understandably thought they could use the seat (for which they had paid) for their baby - whereas the airline understandably thought there was a spare seat and so brought in a 'standby' passenger?

Edited by dick dasterdly

Even worse was the attitude of the Delta Official. When the guy asks "What am I supposed to do now with my family and small children, how will I get a hotel at this time of night - are we supposed to sleep in the terminal"? , the official replied "from now on you are on your own".

American aviation companies suck.

8 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Embarrassing for American airlines generally. If I was the passenger I would be in jail. 

Good point ! Did you read the other beauty from the airline official. The guy said "what if we refuse to leave", the official said "you and your wife will be put in jail and your children will be taken into care".   Nice! Guess she missed the workshop on 'getting to yes with a customer without escalating the conflict' !

Edited by Andaman Al

2 hours ago, kamahele said:

I side with Delta in this incident.  The passengers seen here, tried to use a non transferable ticket bought for one family member who was not traveling with them as he had changed flights, for another member of the family who was a toddler flying for free. He had not right to the seat. These rules are clearly evident during the purchasing process and if a customer disagrees, they can pay a higher fare that has less restrictions or travel with another carrier.

The flight attendant was threatening  husband and wife with jail and their children would be placed in foster care as it was, according to her or him, a "federal offense".

You're still siding with Delta?

This only came to light after it was posted on social media, otherwise we never knew it happened.

What i am wondering about is how many unreported incidents happen on airplanes, must be quite a few.

5 minutes ago, bandito said:

The flight attendant was threatening  husband and wife with jail and their children would be placed in foster care as it was, according to her or him, a "federal offense".

You're still siding with Delta?

This only came to light after it was posted on social media, otherwise we never knew it happened.

What i am wondering about is how many unreported incidents happen on airplanes, must be quite a few.

'Phones and social media are turning out to be quite a boon against corporate abuses!

1 hour ago, Andaman Al said:

Good point ! Did you read the other beauty from the airline official. The guy said "what if we refuse to leave", the official said "you and your wife will be put in jail and your children will be taken into care".   Nice! Guess she missed the workshop on 'getting to yes with a customer without escalating the conflict' !

America has always been the home of quality, good service, attention to detail and making sure customers were satisfied and had value propositions. 

Tom Peters, C, Ray Smith etc.

Competition was so competitive firms had to be good.

Something has gone wrong, seriously wrong, with this particular industry in America. And it seems very people related?

3 hours ago, kamahele said:

If the father had already paid for the seat, not sure why you're suggesting that the toddler was "flying for free."  It would seem the only reason Delta was trying to apply their arcane rules in this instance was because they had given the seat away to another stand-by passenger.  I sympathize with the traveler in this case, Delta could have handled it better.   

4 hours ago, kamahele said:

I don't. They were out of order and should get ready to lose a lot of money through wary future customers and compensation. They were out of line. 

This is a perfect example of the corporate greed that permeates American industry. The airline was completely wrong and their officials using threatening language and insulting that a family may lose the rights to their children way over the top. The airline officials need to be fired and the family receive a formal apology from the CEO and huge compensation.

It's nice to  see social media providing some good results and reporting these type of situations otherwise they would continue.

i think united has changed the rules such that you can't be removed due to overbooking once you've boarded the plane.  that rule should apply to all airlines.  i don't fully understand the 'overbooking strategy' that airlines use so i can't comment much on that.  as long as the passengers that don't get a seat get fair compensation from the airline, it seems to be barely in the box of 'okay'.  many times there are volunteers so people are not totally screwed up on their plans, etc...  my dad traveled alot, he was on a plane almost every other day (mainly from california to arizona).  he was thrilled every time he got travel vouchers for giving up his seat.  it made his day/week.

i also read somewhere about one airline (american ?) saying they are giving more discretion to the front line people.  so in this instance on delta, the flight attendant could have made a decision to let these people stay on board and someone else stays behind.  the discretion being the couple had a young child with them.  i'm not sure who got left behind, i'm assuming it wasn't another couple with a small child.  the attendant was totally out of hand on delta but maybe some of the 'event' was not on video and what was seen was out of context, etc...

one thing for sure, i'm keeping my phone/video handy for every flight from here on out.  hopefully i won't be documenting my own problem but someone else's !!! 

16 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

This is a perfect example of the corporate greed that permeates American industry. The airline was completely wrong and their officials using threatening language and insulting that a family may lose the rights to their children way over the top. The airline officials need to be fired and the family receive a formal apology from the CEO and huge compensation.

It's nice to  see social media providing some good results and reporting these type of situations otherwise they would continue.

No. It's modern society that has become screwed up. Courtesy? no chance. Rules and SOPs for everything. Inadequate salaries. No performance related benefits. It's the American way now and the UK is following. You can keep it.

The chairman of SAS (Scandinavian Airlines) once said that he ran an upside down pyramid: the most important staff were customer facing; everyone else was there to support them. Scandinavian social democracy?

4 hours ago, Rob13 said:

Fair enough but if they wanted to call him on that rule they should have done it at the  check-in counter , not after they allowed them to board the plane.

That's what I was thinking too.  Delta considered his teenage son a "no show".

Fare rules not withstanding, should have worked all this out at the check in desk hours beforehand.  If Dad didn't bring it up then, and thought he might be able to get by if challenged later, then he loses a lot of empathy from me.

--------------

But this is just another example where the airline staff had a choice in how to handle this.  

A. Fix the ticket with a few strokes of the keyboard. Keep the family together and fly them home.  That Standby passenger they wanted to give the seat to will be disappointed, but will get over it. 

B. Or dig their heels in and start a bullshit contest of wills.  And to win, call in armed, government police to intimidate and escalate a business/customer service dispute way out of proportion, and maybe even take it "all the way" with physical force. 

Police:  This is a FEDERAL OFFENSE!  If you don't comply, we'll throw you and Mom in jail, and put your infant children in a state run foster care system!   Come on, way out of proportion.

Edited by 55Jay

Past experience with Delta causes me to never use them unless they are the last resort. My first trip to Thailand, they caused me to miss my Korean Air flight out of Atlanta, which caused me to miss my connection in Seoul. At first, they insisted that they couldn't get me on another KA flight for 48 hours. My niece, who was my travel agent, apparently ripped someone a new one as they got me the last seat out of Atlanta 12 hours later. But I still had another 12-hour layover in Seoul. Their offer of compensation? A $6 meal voucher. Compare that with my Korean Air flight when I moved over here. Their flight out of Atlanta was a 747 that did a round-robin from Seoul to Atlanta and back. The plane got iced up in Seoul and was delayed 2 hours, which again caused me to miss my connection in Seoul. Only one flight a day to Chiang Mai out of Seoul, so they booked me on the next day's flight. However, they put me up at the Grand Hyatt, gave me three meal vouchers for the hotel, provided a limo to and from, and arrange a late check out as my flight wasn't until 6 PM. And the problem wasn't even their fault. Needless to say, I fly KA whenever I can and recommend them to everyone. Delta? Not so much.

16 hours ago, jerojero said:

Believe it or not, a few airlines do not overbook. WestJet out of Canada for example. And they somehow remain profitable. Why can't other airlines do the same? Because their lust for ever increasing profits outweigh their respect for their passengers.

There are many airlines that do not overbook these days. The last time I ran into that problem was with Eva Air, and that was some twenty years ago. Those days also saw a requirement to reconfirm a flight within a certain timeline, something else that has disappeared; at least, again, from many airlines.

19 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

America has always been the home of quality, good service, attention to detail and making sure customers were satisfied and had value propositions. 

Tom Peters, C, Ray Smith etc.

Competition was so competitive firms had to be good.

Something has gone wrong, seriously wrong, with this particular industry in America. And it seems very people related?

The people at airports and on aircraft have become power crazed and vengeful. Give them the slightest questioning look and they come down on you like Eliot Ness. The cabin crews are surly and argumentative. And the flight attendants, Jeesh. Some of them are so elderly and frail, I believe it would be the passengers taking care of them during an emergency instead of the other way around.

14 hours ago, Traveler19491 said:

Past experience with Delta causes me to never use them unless they are the last resort. My first trip to Thailand, they caused me to miss my Korean Air flight out of Atlanta, which caused me to miss my connection in Seoul. At first, they insisted that they couldn't get me on another KA flight for 48 hours. My niece, who was my travel agent, apparently ripped someone a new one as they got me the last seat out of Atlanta 12 hours later. But I still had another 12-hour layover in Seoul. Their offer of compensation? A $6 meal voucher. Compare that with my Korean Air flight when I moved over here. Their flight out of Atlanta was a 747 that did a round-robin from Seoul to Atlanta and back. The plane got iced up in Seoul and was delayed 2 hours, which again caused me to miss my connection in Seoul. Only one flight a day to Chiang Mai out of Seoul, so they booked me on the next day's flight. However, they put me up at the Grand Hyatt, gave me three meal vouchers for the hotel, provided a limo to and from, and arrange a late check out as my flight wasn't until 6 PM. And the problem wasn't even their fault. Needless to say, I fly KA whenever I can and recommend them to everyone. Delta? Not so much.

got to say KA is one of the best airlines in my opinion in the region, I haven't flew Singapore and Cathy enough, but KA has top service and staff treats you like a 5 star hotel guest even in economy class.