No way back for Rainsy

geovalin

Former Opposition leader Sam Rainsy is fooling himself if he thinks his “get well” message to the Prime Minister could hasten his return to frontline Cambodian politics, according to political commentator Chan Vibol. Mr Rainsy, who resigned as CNRP leader three months ago, took to Twitter to wish Hun Sen well after the PM’s sudden admission into a Singapore hospital for tests last week.

“My best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to Prime Minister Mr Hun Sen,” he said. Hun Sen replied on his Facebook page, “I am thankful for his Excellency Sam Rainsy, who wished me while I was sick. I would also like to take this opportunity to wish happiness to his Excellency (Sam Rainsy), his wife and family.”

This amicable exchange marks an unexpected thawing of the relationship between the two men. Mr Rainsy, who has been living in France, was originally in self-imposed exile but last year the government made the exile official, banning him from returning to the kingdom, where he faces a two-year jail term for defamation against the government. Mr Vibol, however, said yesterday that the background of  hostility makes a comeback unlikely and questioned Mr Rainsy’s motives.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/38121/no-way-back-for-rainsy/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 08/05