Does motor car insurance include windscreen cover?

A little off topic.

I was an Auto glazier and had toyed with the idea of opening a shop in Thailand that provided the quality an expat would expect.

If your going to spend a million baht on a car you don't want a butcher fitting a new screen in you car cutting corners and having it leak etc....

Any idea what they charge to fit a screen in a fairly standard car in Thailand. If you give me a make and model I can compare to back home.

On 5/8/2017 at 6:44 PM, fredob43 said:

If you have A1 insurance yes it does.

Had a chip in mine and the local place replaced it within days. (Had to order)

Also didn't loose N/Claims bonus.

When you call them, will the insurance company send you to one of their contracted screen replacers or it will be the manufacturer of the vehicle? Off course its preferable if I go to Ford and get it replaced rather than a cheap alternative the insurance company will no doubt use? They just replace the screen but not the UV film? 

1 hour ago, reenatinnakor said:

When you call them, will the insurance company send you to one of their contracted screen replacers or it will be the manufacturer of the vehicle? Off course its preferable if I go to Ford and get it replaced rather than a cheap alternative the insurance company will no doubt use? They just replace the screen but not the UV film? 

Can depend on the insurance you have whether specified dealer repair or not. When my screen went on a Triton I went to the local Mitsu garage (as I paid more to have repairs done at the manufacturer) and found they did not have an arrangement with my insurance co. Ended up having it done at another place. Very happy with the result.

On 12.5.2017 at 3:43 AM, Don Mega said:

Mine does but on the 3rd screen in 8 months they said next one I pay for !!

Cleaning the screen might be cheaper than replacing it every so often. :biggrin:

31 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

Cleaning the screen might be cheaper than replacing it every so often. :biggrin:

Banning construction trucks from carrying open loads would also help as rocks and gravel bouncing off them are not good for the  lifespan of a windscreen

4 minutes ago, malcoml said:

I'm not there at the moment.

Can anyone who has actually paid give me a price?

For a lego car it will be about 10 baht.

For a real car I would expect it to be 3000b and up.

I agree that first class insurance will pay for the wind shield replacement but it is still recorded as an event. So, if you change insurance companies the following year your new insurance company will not honour your no claims bonus, only the original company will. Been there and done that two years ago when switching from Viriyah to AXA, had a I stayed with Viriyah I would have kept my no claims bonus however the price difference between the two companies was such that it made no difference to switching, 17k per year vs 12k per year, respectively.

Re cost: replacement is around 3,800 vs 800 for a patch job which can work out quite well in many cases.

Edited by simoh1490

My insurance covered the windshield and the film.

I had it fixed once before which was also covered. If the damage is small and the windshield is in good condition, I think the repair is a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

19 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

For a lego car it will be about 10 baht.

For a real car I would expect it to be 3000b and up.

I would have expected it to be more if correct glues and procedures are being used.

On 5/12/2017 at 7:03 AM, malcoml said:

A little off topic.

I was an Auto glazier and had toyed with the idea of opening a shop in Thailand that provided the quality an expat would expect.

If your going to spend a million baht on a car you don't want a butcher fitting a new screen in you car cutting corners and having it leak etc....

Any idea what they charge to fit a screen in a fairly standard car in Thailand. If you give me a make and model I can compare to back home.

Isnt Autoglazing one of the protected occupations in Thailand.Only Thais can do it, so i would tread carefully there mon ami.

On 5/12/2017 at 7:09 AM, reenatinnakor said:

I was interested in your post. Dont they come to you, and fix the screen outside your residence? Just suppose the nearest shop was a few kliks down the Sukhumvit, you'd have to wear goggles in the car.

On 12/05/2017 at 1:03 PM, malcoml said:

A little off topic.

Why do you think local Thai wind-shield replacement shops can't do an equally good job as shops in the West?

Plus: 2013 Vigo 4 dr wind-shield, 3,800 installed.

I was interested in your post. Dont they come to you, and fix the screen outside your residence? Just suppose the nearest shop was a few kliks down the Sukhumvit, you'd have to wear goggles in the car.

That's what AOT Limousines do - they have somebody there most weeks when I visit, a Van turns up and slaps on a few new windscreens to the fleet. Looks like a fair job.

Sent from my nose.

10 hours ago, Don Mega said:

So why did you ask then ?

I'm not there at the moment and I simply want someone to tell me what they paid.

I asked as at 3000 you would be cutting corners to do the job, at 3800 you make some money, at 5000 you can do a very good job.

Wife and myself are considering setting a business up there.

3 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Isnt Autoglazing one of the protected occupations in Thailand.Only Thais can do it, so i would tread carefully there mon ami.

Year serving at restaurants is also but I have seen a few expats doing that job.

I would go through the proper process

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Why do you think local Thai wind-shield replacement shops can't do an equally good job as shops in the West?

Plus: 2013 Vigo 4 dr wind-shield, 3,800 installed.

The constant temptation they seem to have in cutting corners.

4 years experience there using Thai mechanics and using two Thai panel shops.

They should make about 800-1000 baht if they are charging 3800

30 minutes ago, malcoml said:

I'm not there at the moment and I simply want someone to tell me what they paid.

I asked as at 3000 you would be cutting corners to do the job, at 3800 you make some money, at 5000 you can do a very good job.

Wife and myself are considering setting a business up there.

Windscreen replacement for a top spec Camry is 8,000 baht using a Toyota screen

Edited by Don Mega