From Type B to Type O - where to apply

Hi Folks

I am leaving my current employment and therefore type B visa will be cancelled.   I am told I need to leave the country within 7 days and to return on a type O visa would need to apply outside Thailand.

1) is that still true and where in the SE Asia region is the best embassy for applying for a Type O

2) I need multiple entry - so is that a type O-A and where are the requirements for getting that?

On what basis will you be obtaining the Type O ? I believe marriage or over 50 years old are the 2 most common justifications. 

You can only get a single entry type O outside of your country of residence. You must apply for O-A in your home country.

1. Upon what basis would you be applying for the non-o visa.

2. A OA visa can only be applied for in your home country or country of legal residence.

You could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration  if you are 50 or over. You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 day on the date your appy or proof of 65k baht income or  a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

If you are currently on a extension of stay based upon on working or a 90 day entry from a non-b visa you could apply for the extension based upon retirement without  leaving the country if you have the financial proof.

Hi Tonray

Yes, marriage.  I am legally married,  with child and properties in Thailand.  I must admit to being a bit confused, as this is what I read on one site

• You must obtain a 90-day visa or a 1-Year Non-Immigrant O visa from your home country or country of residence prior to your application for the Thai marriage visa. (The 90-day Non-Immigrant visa may be obtained from nearby countries in Thailand.)
  • Once the non-immigrant visa is obtained, you must travel to Thailand to activate the visa.
  • You must prepare all needed documents for the conversion of your non-immigrant O visa to marriage visa.

1 minute ago, drbrit said:

You must obtain a 90-day visa or a 1-Year Non-Immigrant O visa from your home country or country of residence prior to your application for the Thai marriage visa. (The 90-day Non-Immigrant visa may be obtained from nearby countries in Thailand.)

• Once the non-immigrant visa is obtained, you must travel to Thailand to activate the visa.

Incorrect info. You can apply at any embassy or consulate for the non-o visa based upon marriage.

Not sure what is meant by activating the visa. You would simply get a 90 day entry from the visa that can be extended for one year at an immigration office based upon marriage.

2 minutes ago, drbrit said:
  • You must prepare all needed documents for the conversion of your non-immigrant O visa to marriage visa.

There is no conversion. You apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not a via) based upon marriage to a Thai at an immigration office.

You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income to apply for the extension. General documents and etc needed to apply is here: Marriage Extension Requirements.pdf 

• Like 1

Thanks @Ubonjoe

Actually I do not intend to retire just yet.  I will be lining up new employment, but not for some time (maybe a year out).  

1. Upon what basis would you be applying for the non-o visa.

On the basis of marriage (supporting family).  I meet the necessary requirements.

2. A OA visa can only be applied for in your home country or country of legal residence.

OK noted.  So to be sure I understand correctly:

I can apply for a non-O (basis of marriage) outside of Thailand - say in Singapore, KL,  - correct?  and do all SE Asia embassies offer non-O?

and then:

I extend the 90 day to a 1 year in Thailand at an immigration office (like CW).   Would that be multiple entry?  It would need to be for me.

Thanks,

You could get the one year extension based upon marriage when your your current employment ends without needing to go out for a non-o visa. You could change the reason for your current extension to one based upon marriage if you can meet the financial requirements.

You could also apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

The best locations to get the single entry non-o visa is Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos. The other locations you mentioned will want to see financial proof to get the visa. You can get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet without financial proof.

You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could get the one year extension based upon marriage when your your current employment ends without needing to go out for a non-o visa. You could change the reason for your current extension to one based upon marriage if you can meet the financial requirements.

You could also apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

The best locations to get the single entry non-o visa is Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos. The other locations you mentioned will want to see financial proof to get the visa. You can get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet without financial proof.

You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

Dear ubonjoe,

If I were to apply for a single entry non-o visa in Savannakhet, what documents would they require (ie. Marriage Certificate, Passport, wife's tabian baan)?

26 minutes ago, Crip said:

If I were to apply for a single entry non-o visa in Savannakhet, what documents would they require (ie. Marriage Certificate, Passport, wife's tabian baan)?

Marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:04 PM, ubonjoe said:

Marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

What If I  would  need to apply for an single  entrance  non O  ( not married?  or married  and the wife is refusing to come with me to the immigration as it is in my case,  I am not divorced  and no such thing is in progress

I had  already  an advise to cross the border  at Savannaketh and  ask at the immigration for a  tourist visa  and return to Thailand  and get 90 days  to sort things out, I have already a  non O  immigrant visa from the Thai embassy in Vientienne which it seems to me is useless as it was based on  marriage  even the  wife was not present, all done by an agent sitting in a chair  and  an folding table outside the embassy all I neede was   a copy of the marriage cert, a copy of her  ID card  and 6000 baht  and the AGENT filled in the application form and  took  2000 baht out of the 6000 baht  given to him by me ( how  generous he  was) LOL and his bro  led me to the gate  and  gave me the Q number and  within 15 min I was the proud owner of  a non immigrant O visa, only to discover  upon returning to LOS to discover  that the  whole process of  crossing twice the Lao and Thai border  had  eaten 5 pages of my passport and  I had  when  going to Bangkok  to apply for   anew passport and  by then in 3 to 5 weeks time  my  visa  will have  lapsed and the whole travail  was for nothing

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:04 PM, ubonjoe said:

and  don't forget the wife in Tow , no wife  - no visa it seems to me  as it happened just recently

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:35 PM, Crip said:

Dear ubonjoe,

problem with vientienne Laos is  they asked me  for  a police  report and  amedical and the financial requirements,  because I came  alone  and  did nor  fork out  the  pink envelope????!!!!

7 hours ago, kraxlhuber said:

and  don't forget the wife in Tow , no wife  - no visa it seems to me  as it happened just recently

You can apply for an extension based upon retirement of a non-o visa entry that was  issued for any reason.

You could apply for a single entry non-o visa in Vientiane with one of your childrens birth certificate and a copy of their house book registry.