Preferred airline from LHR - EVA, Thai or BA?

mrblonde

Have flown with both EVA and Thai about 10 years ago, and last year with British Airways (which though was pretty good) and cant remember how good EVA was by comparision.  Am looking to visit in November for 4 weeks and cant decide on who to book with, at present its out of EVA, Thai or BA... Any preferences please people?

Business or Economy?

BA has the smallest seat pitch and TV monitor unless something has changed.

I just flew with THAI and was pleasantly surprised, as for so long their product was under par.

Partner flew with EVA and she too was impressed.

Since tickets bought direct with EVA will have the best ticket conditions, i.e.; change fees, my choice would be EVA, THAI, BA in that order prices being equal.

13 hours ago, South said:

If you don't mind a stop, Emirates or Qatar might be worth thinking about. IMO better than BA, TH and Eva.

I don't agree. What makes them better than THAI or EVA?

I think only better if one likes to stretch their legs halfway through the flight and if there is a substantial saving.

19 hours ago, JamJar said:

I don't agree. What makes them better than THAI or EVA?

I think only better if one likes to stretch their legs halfway through the flight and if there is a substantial saving.

Because they are, simple. I've flown pretty much all the airlines that serve Europe and those two that I mentioned just stand out.

Why? A combination of different reasons. Punctuality, airport lounges, menus, modern fleets, service, regional destinations in UK, IFE etc etc. Just my opinion. You, of course are entitled to yours.

5 hours ago, South said:

Because they are, simple. I've flown pretty much all the airlines that serve Europe and those two that I mentioned just stand out.

Why? A combination of different reasons. Punctuality, airport lounges, menus, modern fleets, service, regional destinations in UK, IFE etc etc. Just my opinion. You, of course are entitled to yours.

How is any of that relevant to the OP's question?

He didn't request a regional airport, lounge access would depend on FF level or Business Class and up booking. Modern fleet is  no argument, as I flew upstairs on a THAI A380 too and fro BKK.....and their service was excellent.

We aren't referring to the overall fleet, but London to Bangkok. Emirates and Qatar have no advantage over THAI when it comes to that route.

I too have flown with all of the premium airlines in both Economy and Club/Business and for this particular combo, neither Qatar or Emirates offer any advantage to the OP, unless you want to have a break in the journey.

Since the OP did not, Qatar and Emirates offer a distinct disadvantage.

In addition, you cannot select your seats at the time of booking with Emirates, another distinct disadvantage in comparison with THAI.

Complimentary for Emirates Skywards members tier Silver and above, for families travelling with infants and all passengers choosing a seat after check-in opens.

So unless you have Emirates Silver, you'll need to wait until you check in in order to select a seat.

With Qatar, you have to de-plane in Doha and have to go through the usual rigmarole in order to get on your second flight. 

All this may be fine if you have lounge access/flying Business Class and above as you can take advantage of the facilities, have a massage etc. But you can do the same in the BA/THAI business Class lounges.

So...Emirates/Qatar are really not better on this particular route and it was to this route we were referring.

I would only chose them when they are substantially cheaper.

On 5/12/2017 at 11:54 PM, JamJar said:

How is any of that relevant to the OP's question?

He didn't request a regional airport, lounge access would depend on FF level or Business Class and up booking. Modern fleet is  no argument, as I flew upstairs on a THAI A380 too and fro BKK.....and their service was excellent.

We aren't referring to the overall fleet, but London to Bangkok. Emirates and Qatar have no advantage over THAI when it comes to that route.

I too have flown with all of the premium airlines in both Economy and Club/Business and for this particular combo, neither Qatar or Emirates offer any advantage to the OP, unless you want to have a break in the journey.

Since the OP did not, Qatar and Emirates offer a distinct disadvantage.

In addition, you cannot select your seats at the time of booking with Emirates, another distinct disadvantage in comparison with THAI.

So unless you have Emirates Silver, you'll need to wait until you check in in order to select a seat.

With Qatar, you have to de-plane in Doha and have to go through the usual rigmarole in order to get on your second flight. 

All this may be fine if you have lounge access/flying Business Class and above as you can take advantage of the facilities, have a massage etc. But you can do the same in the BA/THAI business Class lounges.

So...Emirates/Qatar are really not better on this particular route and it was to this route we were referring.

I would only chose them when they are substantially cheaper.

There's always one, isn't there? :sad:

Have a good flight mrblonde and enjoy your holiday.

11 hours ago, South said:

Yes. At least one who provides an intelligent and thought through reply. Thank goodness for that.

Your reply was completely irrelevant to the question. Which is why the OP chose EVA and not Qatar or Emirates.

Have a nice day.

10 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

For me, it's about price and timings. Therefore BA wins easily, although a few years ago it was EVA.

No, no, no, no. :smile:

I'm British and support BA when I can, but no.  Boeing 777 with a 31" seat pitch. and a 17.5" width. Cannot. :)

THAI has two flights per day to BA's one.

EVA flies the 777, but has a 33" seat pitch with an 18.3" width.

Don't know BA can even win on timings unless their flight time suits you in particular.

I flew with THAI to New Zealand recently, so have flown  the LON-BKK-LON route. Would happily do so again. 

BA is my preference on some routes,  London to LA on their A380 for example. But they wouldn't be my first choice for London to Bangkok in Economy.

As I said, for me price is important as the whole family flies with me. BA is currently the most competitive - Thai is the most expensive of the direct options. A direct flight is essential for me. BA leaves BKK before midday and arrives LHR at around 5pm. The return leaves in the afternoon and arrives around 10am. Perfect for us. EVA are great, but arrives much later.

Have Eva got rid of the under seat avod boxes on three of the four aisle seats on london bangkok routing on the 777.....?? No good going seat guru as listing different variants and conflicting passengers comments as regards them. Need an aisle next month but if stuck with a box gonna be standing at back for long periods...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-5-14 at 11:52 AM, South said:

Thanks South, we will!  You'll probably find me in other forums asking where to go and how to get there, so thanks in advance for any additional pointers too